My flight to cyprus

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

My flight to cyprus

Post by sab319 »

like i promised I'm going to tell about my flights to cyprus.

It all started saturday 10 july when we took the bus at 9 to take us too Antwerp Berchem station where we would take the thalys at 10 that would take us to Schiphol. When we boarded the Thalys the first problems began, someone was sitting on our seats, luckely they moved after one of my bad looks. When we arrived in Schiphol 2 hours later we went to check-in desks of KLM in Departures 2 to check in for our flight to Larnaca.
We had to queue there for an hour since there are only 20 check-in desks for all KLM economy flights and (imagine the queue) on this top-day only 4 of them where opened. After we finally checked in and received our boarding passes we went to the Passport and security point where we had to queu for another half hour. We where lucky that our flight was delayed for 45 minutes due to weight and balance problems or we would have missed it... Since our gate was D28 at the end of the D-pier we had no time for shopping and spotting.

When we boarded the Cyprus airways A320-200 5B-DAU with some KLM stickers we sat down in the back at our seats 26A,B and 27A,B.
The pilot wanted to get in the air asap because of the delay so he applied full-power when he wasn't finished line-up. After we waggeled down the runway we made a sharp left tutrn and climbed to 33000 feet.
We received soem peanuts with a drink while the 5 FA's of wich one spoke dutch prepared our Hot-lunch. We could choose between, Fish, Meat and Pasta. Me and my sis took meat wich was extremely goodwith some noce mushrooms and carrots but some too drie potatoes, my parents took the fish option with rice. besides that there was a corn brean, some drie crackers, a piece of gouda chease and a typiccaly cypriotic cookie. after 3h we started our spectacular approach to Larnaca. You overfly the airport and make a U turn above the sea to land because they have to avoid Turkish cypriotic airspace. You could see the manoever very good from the makenzy beach in Larnaca (it's just at the end of the runway)

When you arrive the airport looks like an upgraded hangar but the departures look way better, besides next year they will build a new terminal.

From the place I stayed (Helios crew stayed there too) i could see, hear and smell the airport so I found a pity to leave after 2 weeks on the 24th. we left the hotel at 7:00 and arrived at the airport at 7:05. We went to the AMS check-in desk where checking in went a lot faster even dough the check-in lady was still asleep. at 8:30 we started boarding and where bussed to A320 5B-DAW where we had seats 19D,C,E,F. This time we had agian the dutch Fa and 4 colleagues. After a normal takeoff we where served a very delicous hot English breakfast including eggs, bacon, tomato and potatoes.we had some orange juice on the plate and you could get some coffee or thea. when we passed Greece we entered a turbulent zone wich lasted till the dutch border, so a nice IFE :mrgreen: About an hour before landing we where served a cake with a drink. when we started our decend I could clearly see flevoland and Markerwaard pass beneath us and when on final I could see a UA bird on final at the Polderbaan too (it landed parallel with us) this time we arrived at gate D26. we had 5 hours time to do some spotting since our connecting Thalys to Antwerp didn't go earlier. When we boarded the Thalys it seemed that KLM had overbooked the seats so we had to sit somewhere else than our assigned seats and move to another place at every stop, not a nice experience I was happy when we arrived in Antwerp...

I can conclude that CY is an excellent company maybe even one of the best in Europe and I can recommend them to everyone, CY is certainly the best way to fly to the wonderfull island of Cyprus. BUT avoid KLM since they don't know how to organise a proper chck-in system and assign non-assigned seats, I never fly them again.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for very nice report, sab319. It looks indeed like CY is an excellent airline (better than Thalys :) ).
André
ex Sabena #26567

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Nice report. Thank you very much for posting it here. If I ever go to Cyprus, I will make sure that I take Cyprus Airways.
Onward and Upward...

sab319

Post by sab319 »

On the flight back to AMs there where some americans onboard too, i assume they would take a connecting flight there on KLM/NWA

sab319

Post by sab319 »

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=319945 a picture taken of my plane of the first flight (5B-DAU Evelthon)

moons

Post by moons »

I flew CY too long time ago to Paphos, the only thing I can remember of the flight was the good food! :)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Great report sab. The Thalys journey sounds really maddening, there is nothing worse than thinking you've booked decent seats on the train only to have someone pinch them. That happened to me when I was going down to Birmingham from York back in March. Thankfully there was plenty of seating left in the train, or it would have been unpleasant :evil:

I agree that CY are a great carrier, though it is ages since I flew with them. I remember we had a very smooth flight and a perfect landing in Larnaca, though it was dark when we landed there.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Nice report sab319. :P
BUT avoid KLM since they don't know how to organise a proper chck-in system and assign non-assigned seats, I never fly them again.
The funny thing is you didn't even fly with them. :lol:

Chris

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

Thanks for the nice report sab319 :-)

@Chris
yeah KLM is a pity - I had in my life 6 KLM tkt
and 3 of them ended in a desaster :(
(one is reported here and one of the other was that they gave me my luggage back 2 weeks after at the airport of origin :( ....the third was about food ;-) ....)

VC10

Post by VC10 »

sab319, your flight reports are an absolute joy to read!!.

Your style is totally unique, and it is brilliant to read on a grey, wet day here on the Yorkshire coast. It really brightened my day today reading your account of your trip to Cyprus.

Sounds like you had good flights, and you are the only person I know who says they like turbulence.

I love the little details you include and your comment about giving those people who had pinched your train seats your "bad look" was priceless!!! What I wouldn't give to have seen that. Wonderful stuff!!!

Please promise me that you will continue to post on this forum.

It's just a pity that you don't take more flights, then we would have more of your brilliant (and in parts, hilarious) reports. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha