MKE-PHX-MKE on America West

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
nwa757

MKE-PHX-MKE on America West

Post by nwa757 »

America West Airlines
Milwaukee, WI to Phoenix, AZ
Flight #: HP771
June 25, 2004
Departure time: 4:35 PM
Arrival time: 6:00 PM
Boeing 737-3G7 N311AW
First Class
Seat 2A

I was so excited to be able to fly on a 737 and be able to fly on America West. This would be my first time flying alone but I wasn't nervous at all. We had to drive from Green Bay to Milwauke because my parents wanted me to have a nonstop flight.

My partents went to the check-in counter and got passes so they could take me to the gate. We got to the gate very quickly because no one was standing in the security line. There was a Pizza Hut near the gate so I went and got some pizza before the flight.

Since I was an unattended minor, I got to board the aircraft first. Once I boarded, I went up to the cockpit and talked with the pilots for about 10 minutes. Once the aircraft was fully loaded, we took off. The climb was rather slow and not nearly as impressive as the 757s climb.

Once we reached an altitude where I could use a portable electronic device, I turned on my portable DVD player and wached a few episodes of M*A*S*H ;) . (America West has no IFE).

The meal was some chicken and pasta dish (I forgot the name of it). It was excellent! For desert, I had some apple pie. Beleve it or not, the lead flight attendant actually made it on board, during the flight! The pie was also excellent!

We made our decent into the Phoenix area and landed 18 minutes ahead of schedule.

America West Airlines
Phoenix, AZ to Milwaukee, WI
Flight #: HP122
July 6, 2004
Departure time: 9:00 AM
Arrival time: 2:32 PM
Boeing 737-300 N***AW
First Class
Seat 2A

Well, this was it. The end of my 11 day stay in "the valley of the sun". I had a great time in Arizona! I was happy to be flying however and glad I was flying America West. We got to the airport about 2 hours before departure. Check in was very slow even in the first class line. We got to the gate, and I called up my parents and talked to them until I boarded the aircraft.

Again I boarded the aircraft first and sat down in the seat. This time, I got my own personal safety demonstration and the flight attendant who did it was really hot :) ! After the safety demonstration, I went up and talked to the pilots and they were very funny! The captain used to work for Pan Am and U.S. Airways. The first officer used to work for Polar Air Cargo.

Once everyone was boarded, we took off. This time the climb was even slower than the last one. I thought for a second, that I was flying in an A340 during the climb ;) . After we reached our cruising altitude, we were served a breakfast of Honey Bunches of Oats, some fruit, and a crossiant.

When we made our decent into Milwaukee, we came in over Lake Michigan and it was very beautiful. We made a somewhat bumpy landing and one lady on the flight let out a yelp when we touched down.

I had two great flights on America West and plan to use them in the future. I will post the pictures I took, once I get them developed.

Please post any questions or comments you have.
Onward and Upward...

Avro

Post by Avro »

Great report Trevor. I enjoyed reading it. :P

I think it's the first feedback we get from America West Airlines .

They seem to be good.

Chris
8)

Jense

Post by Jense »

What a great report, makes me wanna visit the USA again 8O :D :wink:

I'm thinking about flying America West in the future, when I (hopefully) visit Phoenix/AZ anothere time, sure with that hot FA 8) :wink: :D

Thanks for posting this really nice and detailed report :!:

greettzzz

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Thanks for the great report Trevor!

flyingcow

Post by flyingcow »

Excellent report Trevor! I have flown in America West before and I can tell you that I liked them A LOT. I flew on their CRJ 200 from Monterrey Mexico to Phoenix then from Phoenix to Las Vegas (737-200) and then Vegas to Seattle in an Airbus 320. The airplanes are clean and the staff is very friendly. Its nice when you are flying over New Mexico and Arizona, it seems you are flying over the Sahara desert...dry dry dry!!!. By the way, all my flights in America West have been with an ocupancy factor above 95%, yes, good buisness!!!

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

It was very interesting to read your report, reading trip reports always make me think of the flights I took and the next time I will be flying myself. :happy:

I always go too and talk/ask some questions to the flight crew and have a look in the cockpit. I just love the view, all the buttons and screens.
:yummie:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for great report, Trevor.

You were lucky to travel First. Do you know what the meals were in Eco?

You have been crossing time zones, so I cannot make up your flight time. How long were your two flights?

I travelled America West myself in 1990 from San Francisco to Phoenix (in Y), and had a very good experience with them.
André
ex Sabena #26567

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Thanks for all of the nice comments.
sn26567 wrote:You were lucky to travel First. Do you know what the meals were in Eco?

You have been crossing time zones, so I cannot make up your flight time. How long were your two flights?
There were no meals in economy class :( . The flights were about 3 hours long.
Onward and Upward...

Jense

Post by Jense »

nwa757 wrote:There were no meals in economy class :( . The flights were about 3 hours long.
Hhmm, that's a bad point we have there. On a one hour flight, I don't care I get no meal, "since it's up and down". But 3 hours is quite long without food to me :P :wink:

The only bad point I can conclude about your nice trip with America West :!:

greettzzz

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Jense wrote:
nwa757 wrote:There were no meals in economy class :( . The flights were about 3 hours long.
Hhmm, that's a bad point we have there. On a one hour flight, I don't care I get no meal, "since it's up and down". But 3 hours is quite long without food to me :P :wink:

The only bad point I can conclude about your nice trip with America West :!:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that you could buy a meal in economy for like $7. There were no free meals in economy though .
Onward and Upward...