BRU-FRA-BRU 25JUN04

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Air_Lac

BRU-FRA-BRU 25JUN04

Post by Air_Lac »

Now it was my turn to have flight to Fankfurt and back to Brussels:

BRU-FRA LH4593
Lufthansa
Airbus A320
D-AIQP

I was lucky enough to have had a business class ticket. So my seat was 4A (just before the wing).
The aircraft was almost full, mainly business travellers but also some tourists connecting to other flights in Frankfurt. The weather was beautiful and very clear. The flight lasted only 45 minutes, but still there was afull cabin service (a camembert sandwich, fruit salad, muesli bar, tea/coffee).
The crew was friendly and professional as you would expect from LH. The pilot gave some information during the flight as to where we were.
I had a very nice and clear view of Frankfurt Airport and all the runways (as we passed by to make a long loop before landing on runway 25R). Just before landing we had an excellent view of the skyline of Frankfurt (resembling more and more to the one of a North American town).
As usual a lots of interesting aircraft at Frankfurt - but no time for spotting - I had to rush to my meeting, I vaguely saw a Tu204.

FRA-BRU LH4588
Lufthansa
Airbus A320
D-AIQH

A bus took us to the aircraft, so I saw a few interesting: EMB 170 Alitalia (first time I saw this type), A319 Aeroflot (lovely these new colours!), MD11 VARIG Star Alliance colours, A340-600 South African,
Again in business class, although the automatic checking machine seemed to indicate that almost all seats were taken, I got a window seat 8A...eventually the aircraft was only about 30% full. The flight lasted only 36 minutes this time - still the cabin crew rushed through a full cabin service (very tasty chicken sandwich, red fruit salad, drinks, tea/coffee). Again nice cabin service. Landing in Brussels was on runway 25R.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice to have another opinion on the LH monopoly in the BRU-FRA route. I'm sure C-class makes all the difference between an ordinary flight and a nice flight: remember my report on my last return from FRA in Y-class? A box with a roll and an orange juice. Full stop!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the report Air_Lac :)

Chris

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

@ André: Yes, I think too that C-class makes the difference, I flew economy with Lufthansa last year to Munich, and indeed my experience was not so as good. I also think that the light BRU-FRA is totally overpriced and due to the fact only that there is no competition in the air, but also not on ground the train link is not yet a suitable alternative if you have travel in one day.

Air_Lac

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Air_Lac wrote:I also think that the light BRU-FRA is totally overpriced and due to the fact only that there is no competition in the air, but also not on ground the train link is not yet a suitable alternative if you have travel in one day.
True: there are only three high-speed ICE trains a day, and their speed is limited at 200 km/hr in Belgium between Leuven and Liège (vs 300 km/hr for Thalys!).

Maybe the situation will improve in 2006, when Brussels-Leuven will be completed for 200 km/hr, when the ICE gets full certification in Belgium and when the Liège-Aachen track becomes also high-speed.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

They are probably two kinds of problems on the BRU-FRA-BRU route.

First of all, I suppose that LH don't put enough FA's on that flight an therefore the service will be bad in economy. The FA's will first serve the C class and after that Y class. Knowing that the flight doesn't last long it won't give them a lot of time to serve the pax with a drink and a snack.
Further more the snack LH is serving isn't the best out there (that's what I've heard).

The second problem is, like allready mentioned, the monopoly LH has on that route. On the BRU-FRA sector we definately need some competition. This being by air or by train. (Let's just hope SN starts to fly to FRA someday !!! )

Now if you mix up those 2 problems, you will definately get a very bad experience in Y class on LH between BRU-FRA.

LH will unfortunately not improve the service before there is some competition. :?

Greetz
Chris
8)

Jense

Post by Jense »

Thanks for the report, Air_Lac

But, just don't forget that FRA is probably the biggest Star Alliance hub :!:
I think it's quite normal that they want to make big money with their monopoly on the route...

But what I don't get, why always complaining about the service? I flew them (BRU-FRA and FRA-BRU) and it wasn't that bad since you can't expect a full dinner or something :roll:

greettzzz

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

There are many reasons to complain, Jense. When a company has a monopoly, the passengers are never the winners.

C-class passengers usually get a good treatment. For Y-class, the reasons for complaints are numerous:

- high prices
- dense seating (Avro = 6 seats abreast)
- high load factor (to give more room to biz pax)
- no time to serve snacks and drinks correctly
- poor quality of food and drinks

Go through all my reports on BRU-FRA-BRU trips, and you will see more reasons to complain than to rejoice.
André
ex Sabena #26567