Pax Personal Privacy Perhaps a Problem?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
C-117

Pax Personal Privacy Perhaps a Problem?

Post by C-117 »

The recent Special Article regarding an airline sharing - or not sharing - a passenger's personal information with law enforcement and national intelligence agencies highlights the growing concern for an individual's right to privacy and touches on the controversy surrounding what many term ethnic "profiling". Is it worth it from the standpoint of the majority of the flying public? Is it a further erosion of what is becoming more commonplace globally in view of the war on terrorism? Times have changed since 9/11/02. What's your position on this subject?

A318

Post by A318 »

My position is easy, security and safety comes before privacy.
People that have nothing to hide don't have to worry.
So I say very good to do everything possible to make air travel and tourism as safe as possible again.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

My question is: what are they doing with the passenger information?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If I remember correctly, this information is destroyed after 3 years.
André
ex Sabena #26567

VC10

Post by VC10 »

A318 wrote:My position is easy, security and safety comes before privacy.
People that have nothing to hide don't have to worry.
So I say very good to do everything possible to make air travel and tourism as safe as possible again.

Greetz,

Erwin

I have to agree with Erwin, after 9/11 everything possible has to be done to ensure the safety of air travel, although it can never be 100% secure.
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

concordino

Post by concordino »

Very alliterative title to this thread, C-117.

With all freedoms being eroded this particular one is no more problem - virtually everything we do is monitored and recorded in some way - even my supermarket keeps a record of my buying habits. Just today a colleague was contacted by his credit card company as there were purchases made with his card which were out of his normal spending pattern ( his card had been cloned) so they were checking up! Here in Belgium all our personal details are available on our SIS cards, bank details are readily available etc., etc.

I guess the only way not to be monitored is to only have cash and never travel, live in a box under a bridge and don't break the law.

Sleep well

Concordino

Allnipponairways

Post by Allnipponairways »

i totally agree , safety first then privacy ... if you have nothing to hide why cry out about personal privacy ... dont you wanne be safe in the airport and airplane

greets

Avro

Post by Avro »

I have nothing to hide, but this doesn't mean that everything about me should be made "public" !!! We still all deserve some privacy.....
Times have changed since 9/11/02
it's 09/11/01 ;)

Chris
8)