BRU-MAN-BRU with SN on 17-18 Jun 04

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-MAN-BRU with SN on 17-18 Jun 04

Post by sn26567 »

A 5th trip this year to what has become my favourite destination, Manchester. Booked only two days in advance, the price was still reasonable: €473.14, and much lower than the extorsionate prices asked by Lufthansa for a much shorter distance to FRA. It is interesting to note that the taxes amount to €53.14: 20.93 for BRU, 28.21 for MAN (which is thus more expensive), and 4.00 for ATC between the 2 countries. These high taxes explain why an LCC will never choose BRU or MAN as a base...

I left work at 17:25 to go to the airport by metro and train. I arrived there at 18:20. When I tried to check in at an automated machine, ALL of them were out of order. I thus checked in for both the outbound and the return flight at the counter; because of the queues of 3-4 people at each Y-class counnter, I was directed by a friendly agent (a black lady) to the C-class counter.

Bad point, Mr SN Brussels. I know that in July you start a new system for automatic check in, but in the mean time, the old system should still work!

At the screening of my baggage I had the pleasure to meet and to chat with our member Security agent Bob Claes.

Outbound flight was SN 2181, etd 19:25, normally on an Avro RJ100. This time, it was an A319 (reg. OO-SSG), which I knew beforehand through my travel agency and OAG. The plane was pretty full, with a load factor of 80% (but still few seats in C). At boarding I experienced for the first time the new SN policy of controlling the identity of every passenger. Boarding and departure were on time, even 5 minutes ahead of schedule. I had fortunately a window seat 9F.

Safety announcements should have been made with the overhead screens, but after one minute of blurred images, they were switched off, and the stewardesses made it the traditional way in Dutch, French and English. On board I had the pleasure to see another familiar face: the always smiling stewardess that was on my flight from Barcelona last month and with whom I had a nice chat. She was assisted by another stewardess in charge of C class and a steward.

As soon as the "fasten seat belt" light went off, the purser started serving the meal in C class and the steward and stewardess in Y class. The distribution of the Brussels Bistro boxes went quite fast: a nicely coloured box, with ham/cheese and pickles sandwich (made by Supplair in Amsterdam!!!), a glass of that same Dutch mineral water with a strange French name "Prise d'eau", a mini Twix bar, milk, sugar, salt, pepper, a refreshing towel and a serviette. Than she served the drinks. I chose a can of Belgian Stella Artois (25 cl), which did indeed taste better than the British variety. Before landing, the two small Belgian chocolates by Neuhaus (bitter and milk) were missing! It seems that the quality of the Bistro dinner is going down since my previous evening trip to MAN.

Mr SN Brussels, may I recommend that you serve Belgian sandiwhes and water in the Brussels Bistro, else call it Amsterdam Bistro... There are enough mineral waters in Belgium: Spa, Chaudfontaine, Villers, ...

The flight itself was uneventful, as it should be, over the clouds, and arrival at Manchester 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I took the free shuttle to my hotel (the Crowne Plaza, just next to the Bewley's, which is cheaper, but was fully booked and asked £3.00 for its shuttle).

Return trip tomorrow on SN 2178, an Avro RJ100 where I will have seat 10F.
André
ex Sabena #26567

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You are amazing SN.... . Again a great report.

"On board I had the pleasure to see another familiar face: the always smiling stewardess that was on my flight from Barcelona last month and with whom I had a nice chat. She was assisted by another stewardess in charge of C class and a steward. " Now I wish I was in your place ;)

Comet

Post by Comet »

If I am permitted to say so, that service sounds bloody identical to what we had to put up with between BRU and BHX - the identical meal box with those tasteless ham/cheese/pickle sandwiches, the Dutch mineral water and microscopic Twix (now you know why I call it "Modge in a Box") and also the chocolate service was bloody absent (as I said - two thirds of the advertised service but not two thirds the cost of the ticket!)

I hope that is not a foretaste of things to come on the MAN services :evil:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I forgot to mention that in the middle of the flight the captain took the microphone and started (remember more than half of the pax were British):

- And now a football result: England lost by 3-0
- Oooooh!
- I was joking of course. England won by 3-0
- (big applause) Aaaaah!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

I would have preferred the former :evil:

Now bloody Beckham will be rammed down our throats in all the media tomorrow.
Louise

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Another great report! You are SO lucky to fly as much as you do! I have been pressuring my parents to take me to Belgium (on SN of course) but they don't have the time or the money to go right now. :(
Onward and Upward...

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

"Before landing, the two small Belgian chocolates by Neuhaus (bitter and milk) were missing! It seems that the quality of the Bistro dinner is going down since my previous evening trip to MAN. ",

If your returnflight is also without chocolates and with the same "amsterdam bristo", I shall send them a mail to ask more info ;)

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

You paid 473.14 Euros for that flight? I assume that was for business class....?

Comet

Re: BRU-MAN-BRU with SN on 17-18 Jun 04

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote: The distribution of the Brussels Bistro boxes went quite fast: a nicely coloured box, with ham/cheese and pickles sandwich (made by Supplair in Amsterdam!!!), a glass of that same Dutch mineral water with a strange French name "Prise d'eau", a mini Twix bar, milk, sugar, salt, pepper, a refreshing towel and a serviette. Than she served the drinks. I chose a can of Belgian Stella Artois (25 cl), which did indeed taste better than the British variety. Before landing, the two small Belgian chocolates by Neuhaus (bitter and milk) were missing! It seems that the quality of the Bistro dinner is going down .
Andre - I seem to remember when I wrote in my BRU-BHX flight report how tasteless and vile those cheese/ham/pickle sandwiches were, you said I was the only person with a negative view of the Modge in a Box concept. Now you have tried those very same tasteless bits of bread are you still thinking that I am the only person who doesn't like the Modge concept :?: My views on the Modge in a Box were formed after I had sampled the very Modge you have described in your report!
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Emirates: unrestricted econmy class.

€400 for a flexible business class ticket would be a bit cheap...

Y-fares of SN between BRU and MAN start around €150. Of course, those tickets are not flexible.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Oh, and before I forget: thanks for the excellent report André! I'm looking forward to your return sector...

Message for MisterSN: please inform your passengers in the departure terminal at BRU for example with a paper attached at the non-functioning self-check-in machines that new ones are due to be installed, and that this is the reason that the old ones don't work. This to avoid too much confusion.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I always love those messages for Mr SN :p And it''s nice to know that Mr Sn has some employees over here reading these messages ;)

Comet

Post by Comet »

The ham/cheese/pickle sandwiches with microscopic Twix and Dutch water as described in Andre's report, and photographed by Comet on SN2047 BRU-BHX 31st March 2004. The original Modge in a Box :lol:

Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Well it's definatly better than FR. Her you get at least something to eat for freee.

vflies

Post by vflies »

It's never "for free", sab319...
EVERY little piece of service you get is ALWAYS reflected in the price you pay...

With that in mind, Ryanair and other low costs sell you transportation only, Snba sells transportation + the Modge Box (that term is just too good, I have to use it too! ) + other services included in your ticket price...

VFlies

dna

Post by dna »

Who on earth cares where the sandwiches are prepared? I have just come back from a trip to Berlin THF. The return flight today was the lunchtime flight, and we were served a chicken tikka sandwich which was really tasty and nice - I wouldn't have minded a second one though. The Bistro Brussels is big, but there's not a lot inside on these shorter flights. I saw on the label that the sandwich was indeed made by Supplair in the Netherlands. I can only say, well done.

And BTW, there was a Neuhaus chocolate service on both flights in my case.

Dave

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Mr SN Brussels, may I recommend that you serve Belgian sandiwhes and water in the Brussels Bistro, else call it Amsterdam Bistro... There are enough mineral waters in Belgium: Spa, Chaudfontaine, Villers, ...
Hehe, i'm not mister SNBA (i wish though! :roll: )but i'll try to answer that question for you:

It's all about costs. If the amsterdam company offers a product that is cheaper for the same quality (i will leave the level of quality in the middle, as there seems to be some difference in opinion about it between the people here) as other companies do, then better for them to buy the one from the Amsterdam company.

Tell me, how many people look at where it is made? And how many people taste the difference between belgian and dutch water? Maybe the dutch water even tastes better :roll:

Profiling as a full service airline, yes, but keeping the costs under control at the same time!

Greets,

Pieter

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the very nice report André.
It's a pitty that you didn't had the full service like always :( . Let's hope this won't happen too often. Otherwise you'll have to write to SN to coplain about that. I'm sure they're interest in such feedbacks.
dna wrote:Who on earth cares where the sandwiches are prepared?
Well, it would at least be the minimum to include a Belgian water in the so called Brussels Bistro. I'm afraid I have to agree with André. I don't care where the sandwich is prepared, but the water where the logo is well visible, should really be from a belgian company. The Brussels Bistro should give the passengers the feeling they are in BElgium and not in Holland ;)
I have just come back from a trip to Berlin THF.
Can we espect a report soon ? ;)

Ciao
Chris

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Thanks for the report Andre.

IMHO SNBA should not reduce the food/sweets the passengers get. The carrier has been known for its good service... up to now! :roll:

Moreover a Belgian carrier should be proud of it and "offer" Belgian sandwiches and water...
blackhawk wrote:I always love those messages for Mr SN :p And it''s nice to know that Mr Sn has some employees over here reading these messages ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I am the father ( :wink: ) of those messages... kind of "Message to Mr Ryanair"

Regards

BeN :idea:

Avro

Post by Avro »

OO-SBZ wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I am the father ( :wink: ) of those messages... kind of "Message to Mr Ryanair"
Yep you invented them ;)

I like those comments a lot. And if someone of the respective company reads them, it'll directly give them a feedbakc. :)

Chris