BRU-FRA-BRU with LH (6-7 Jun 04)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-FRA-BRU with LH (6-7 Jun 04)

Post by sn26567 »

A short report about a 24 hr trip to my second favourite destination: Frankfurt. I had booked the flights one month in advance, and nevertheless paid €682 for a flexible return flight, which was the cheapest flight for the selected dates.

I checked in for both outbound and return flights at the automatic machine.

I left Brussels on time Sunday evening at 18.45 on flight LH4587, aboard an Airbus A319-114 registered D-AILS ("Heide").

Take-off from 25R. I had seat 23A in the last row. Half of the plane was outfitted in business class, but the load factor for C class was only 30%, whereas the economy class in the back was packed at 85%. I managed to have a free seat next to me.

The "meal" was a meager Leo bar. Luckily, there was still a choice of drinks. I got a Warsteiner beer, 33 cl in a glass bottle.

The weather was clear throughout the flight. What I saw is somewhat frightening: a lot of electrical wind mills, none of which was turning because of the weak wind. Is that what the greens want?

Arrival was 5 minutes early at 19.40. Atypic flight.

Return the next day was scheduled on LH5874 at 16.15, another A319 for which the automatic check-in machine assigned me exactly the same seat 23A. However, I was early at the airport and switched to LH5910 (codeshared with NZ) at 15.30, without costs. I was lucky it was not the scheduled Avro RJ85 with its terrible 6-abreast seating, but a Canadair CRJ 200 D-ACHK "Schkeuditz".

Load factor was close to 90%. On-time departure after a bus to the faraway parked aircraft. While 'taxiing' in the bus, I saw Tante Ju in action: a historic flight on the Ju-52 D-AQUI had just landed and was going back to the gate.

I had seat 9A, over the wing. But the meal service was disappointing: a box with a roll opf bread filled with cheese and a cardboard box of orange juice. No choice of drinks!

Service is really deteriorating.

Nevertheless, I was in Brussels 5 minutes ahead of schedule after a flight through clear weather.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Re: BRU-FRA-BRU with LH (6-7 Jun 04)

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:

But the meal service was disappointing: a box with a roll opf bread filled with cheese and a cardboard box of orange juice. No choice of drinks!

Service is really deteriorating.
Sounds like the Brussels Bistro on SNBA!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:Sounds like the Brussels Bistro on SNBA!
Not at all. Together with a Brussels Bistro meal, you can choose a decent drink.
André
ex Sabena #26567

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Great trip report! I am so jealous! I really want to go to Germany sometime. :D
Onward and Upward...

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks André, very nice report!

Unfortunately, the service was less 'nice'. LH has indeed cut their sandwiches on their shorthaul EU flights (no idea whether they are also cut on longer EU flights like FRA-MAD).

Anyway, they are hunting the customer in the arms of lowcost carriers...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Anyway, they are hunting the customer in the arms of lowcost carriers...
I would have thought that at €682 you would at least have reasonable meal and drink services.

Now LH gives you low cost service at top prices.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

It seems you're flying a lot the last few days. You lucky guy ;)
Isn't that a nice way to make a lot of money ;)

Seriuosly: LH has a strong reputation and is very well known. People will fly LH even if the service isn't that good and even if they have to pay a lot. But in my opinion this won't last very long. If LH doesn't do anything they will definately loose more customers than they will gain !!!!!! It's a very risky thing that they are doing.
sn26567 wrote: What I saw is somewhat frightening: a lot of electrical wind mills, none of which was turning because of the weak wind. Is that what the greens want?
That must have been a exceptional day. Don't worry when an wind turbine is installed there has to be sufficent winds most of the year. Otherwise it won't be profitable.

Greetz
Chris

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Thanks for the report André!
sn26567 wrote:
Sabena_690 wrote:Anyway, they are hunting the customer in the arms of lowcost carriers...
I would have thought that at €682 you would at least have reasonable meal and drink services.

Indeed... I would agree with Ryanair when they assert "Auf Wiedersehen Lufthansa"

Regards

BeN :idea:

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

Interesting report indeed.

I might have to go to FRA as well in late June (probably twice on A319/320/321)...I am not so sure though if I look forward to the flight when reading your inflight experience. At least one may see some interesting aircraft at FRA when taxiing.

It is interesting to see how established carriers are cutting down on inflight service...if only they would also follow the lowcost carriers in the pricing and not only in the catering!

To my knowledge Austrian, swiss, Iberia have no free catering any more - it seems they are just setting a new trend :-(

I'll let you know my experience if I actually go to FRA

Air_Lac

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Avro wrote:
sn26567 wrote: What I saw is somewhat frightening: a lot of electrical wind mills, none of which was turning because of the weak wind. Is that what the greens want?
That must have been a exceptional day. Don't worry when an wind turbine is installed there has to be sufficent winds most of the year. Otherwise it won't be profitable.
It is not a question of profitability, but the issue is: "Do we have sufficient power when there is no wind over a large area?". Luckily, it happened on a summer Sunday this week, but imagine the same in a winter weekday.

It happened once last year, in Germany again. They had to call for the nuclear electricity from France, which transited through Belgium and overloaded our own lines. A few kW more, and Belgium would have seen a complete blackout.

What I meant is that wind power is not reliable!
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Here are my pics of the Canadair CRJ 200 used for the return flight, at FRA and at BRU (2x):

André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the nice pixtures you've made André :)
What I meant is that wind power is not reliable!
That's why you need a mix of different kinds of power suplies if you choose to make electricity from windenergy which isn't a forseable power.

Greetz
Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

After watching the CRJ of IB in Manchester last Tuesday, I have to say it is a stunner of an aircraft! A fantastic rate of climb compared to other types we saw that day, the little Spanish jet was the undoubted "star" of our spotting trip :lol: Sadly, we won't see him when we go to MAN in September because it will be mid afternoon before we get there, but I am hoping to see one of the type in Brussels and Birmingham is also good for spotting CRJs.

You are also lucky to see the JU52, that is the same aircraft which has regularly visited Britain the past few years, sometimes it has participated in airshows, then it stayed on to operate sightseeing flights from London City, and then it returned to do a tour of airports served by LH to celebrate an anniversary of the airline. I would love to see it in action.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Jense

Post by Jense »

Thanks for the very nice report :!:

Almost the same experience and toughts I had/have about LH...

When I flew LH to PHX, I was also a little bit disappointed about the legspace in their B744's... In the A320 and the B735 looked it even better...

The meal on the BRU-FRA leg was OK for me, but the 'standard' drink was just water from a plastic thing. FRA-BRU was a cheese-sandwich, wich is not my taste :wink:

greettzzz

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

My Grandfather flew the LH JU52 a few years ago when it visited Ostend. It was a free gift of LH because he was part of the team that restored the JU52 that you can see in the brussels military museum at the 'jubelpark'

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Nice trip report.

Anyway, EUR 682 for a return trip BRU-FRA-BRU in economy? That's ridiculous and a shame. For that amount most European carriers offer to their customers transatlantic flights. I'd rather go by bike to FRA than paying EUR 682.

Ivan

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi Ivan,

That's full fare economy (which means unrestricted and full mileage).

Restricted economy is €275 (also expensive).

An unrestricted ticket for €682 to the US? Don't think so! :mrgreen:

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way