Flight report: Experience Qantas' A330-200!!

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
oneWorld

Flight report: Experience Qantas' A330-200!!

Post by oneWorld »

Hi guys, this is my fist post on the forum and I reckon I can start by sharing my recent experience on the brand new Qantas A330-200 aircraft!! Apparently I just loved it... :D

Date: 14 April 2004
Flight number: QF 481
Itinerary: MEL to PER
Aircraft: Airbus 330-200 (VH-EBC)
ETD (local): 18.35
ETA (local): 20.35
Duration: 4 hours
Loadings: 100%

Cityflyer service: more flights, more seats, more room

Qantas A330-200 (rego. VH-EBC), the aircraft I flew

Boarding was smooth and efficient!

This was the Y-class cabin

The new "slimline" Y-class seat, which was definitely more comfy than the B767-300ER

The inflight magazine, and an interesting read, I reckon

Safey card

Safety demonstration

Rear gallery: nice and neat, wasn't it?

Wall-mounted LCDs

Dinner option #1: stewed beef with mashed potato

Dinner option #2: pasta in creamy bacon sauce

Desserts!!

Movie of the night: Paycheck (borin...g...)

Take a second look at the cabin

Why not another?

Perth Doemstic terminal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qantas is fantastic!! It no doubt lives up to its reputation as the Skytrax BEST AIRLINE IN AUSTRALIASIA!! The crew was very efficient and professional and I always received the best courtesy from them. The catering was of very good quality and very generous in terms of the serve size. In all aspects, I was totally satisfied, not to mention how much I love the refreshing A330-200 decor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you want to see more, there is a mini-site at qantas.com.au which showcases more of the new Airbus experience.
:arrow: http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/tr ... ticEconomy

Hope you enjoy my post here! :roll:

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Great Report and welcome :D Great to see something from the other site of our planet. Keep on posting ;)

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Welcome to Luchtzak Oneworld

Greetz,

Dave

A318

Post by A318 »

Thanks and a very nice report.
How was flying the A330-200?
Compare it with a B767 and a MD-11 what is then your opinion?
Just curious since I am looking for tickets for my 15 hour flight to south america and there is a chance I will fly with a A330-200.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Very nice trip report, thanks! I like those photo-trip reports...

@Erwin: I've flown the B763 and A332 a year ago, and the A332 winns in my eyes! It's less noisy (actually very silent). It's also a bit bigger...

Cabin comfort is of course not the responsability of the manufacturer, but of the airline. I had my most comfortable flight on the Alitalia MD82!! Aer Lingus is a very close second on the A332, together with the AZ A321.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Avro

Post by Avro »

First of all welcome to this great site oneWorld.

Thanks for this great trrip report, the pasta dish seemed very tasty :P
I like all those pics ery much. I hope we might expect some more trip reports from down under in the coming months ;)
@Erwin: I've flown the B763 and A332 a year ago, and the A332 winns in my eyes! It's less noisy (actually very silent). It's also a bit bigger...
I only fle a B767-300ER of DL and found it really comfortable. But of course I can't compare it with the A330.

Regards
Chris
8)

A318

Post by A318 »

@Chris and Frederic, thanks for the replies but I have no idea also what to expected if I should fly Air Madrid.
I see 298 seats in the A330-200 from Air Madrid but they say they offer a pitch from 32" which is around 81 cm. Comparing this to the average 767 which is around 76 cm you should say it is still enough space even with 298 passengers. I guess I only find out after I make some flights with them.
Thank again,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

dna

Post by dna »

Great report & pictures: nice flight apparent. I flew the Qantas A330-200 from Cairns to Sydney in February. It was an excellent flight in terms of the aircraft: it was still fairly new and it was a very comfortable experience.

I wish I could be as positive about the in-flight experience though. Mine was not a Cityflyer service, and the difference is well... quite "noticeable". The flight time (lunchtime flight) was just under three hours. Catering consisted of nothing more than a sandwich, a piece of chocolate and a biscuit. The crew were in such a hurry as well: drinks were followed, within one minute, by coffee and tea. So after an hour, the crew were nowhere to be seen. Very disappointing.

I flew the same route with Qantas in 1998 and remember being served a hot lunch then. Those days appear long gone - except on Cityflyer routes I guess.

Dave

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

Hey welcome to Luchtzak and great report!!!
a question: what is that animal-thing on the safetycard, in the 'do-not-use' circle :?:

Avro

Post by Avro »

Flying_Dutchman wrote: a question: what is that animal-thing on the safetycard, in the 'do-not-use' circle :?:
Isn't that some sort of "tamagotchi" (spelling ?) ????

Chris

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

Avro wrote:
Flying_Dutchman wrote: a question: what is that animal-thing on the safetycard, in the 'do-not-use' circle :?:
Isn't that some sort of "tamagotchi" (spelling ?) ????

Chris
Oh yeah.... I remember. But why is it prohibited onboard :?:

oneWorld

Post by oneWorld »

Thanks guys, I've enjoyed myself at this awesome site!! 8)

A318: Personally, A330-200s definitely rate higher than the B767s. Indeed my outgoing flight was on a B767 itself. The A332 was just the next level of comfort!! Unfortunately I have no experience on a MD-11 yet. :oops:

Avro: The pasta did taste good!! And I will be flying next month to ADL on a narrow-bodied 734; perhaps it would a good opportunity I'll take some snapshots for our awesome friends here :D

dna: true, Qantas does not offer hot meals on its all flights now, but it doesn't matter whether it is a Cityflyer service; ultimately it depends on your flight duration and time . Luckily enough, MEL-PER is an 4 hour operation so passengers receive a decent hot meal onboard :wink:

Flying_Dutchman: tamagotchi is banned simply because no poultry should be carried onboard.... Oh no...actually I believethat thing was a radio :wink:

Avro

Post by Avro »

oneWorld wrote: perhaps it would a good opportunity I'll take some snapshots for our awesome friends here :D
Oh yeah, It's always nice to have some pictures and flight reports from the other side of the world. :D
tamagotchi is banned simply because no poultry should be carried onboard....
:lol: :lol:

See you
Chris
8)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

oneWorld,

do you mind that I post your pictures in the Airlinemeals-pictures

greetings,

Bart
:rock:

oneWorld

Post by oneWorld »

luchtzak wrote:oneWorld,

do you mind that I post your pictures in the Airlinemeals-pictures

greetings,

Bart
:rock:
Hi luchtzak

No worries :wink: Actually I'll be happy if you could help me posting the pics.

Cheers
oneWorld

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Very nice report Oneworld.
Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
Yvo

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Great report! I really enjoy these picture-trip reports. I'd make them too, but unfortuneately my camra is a piece of crap :( .

Anyways, welcome to Luchtzak.be oneWorld! :D
Onward and Upward...

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Yep, very nice report! :D

It's great that people share their flying experience with others! I really enjoy those reports!:wink:

CU

Tom