Bru-Cag (15/5) and Cag-Bru (22/5) with SNBA

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
BBKing

Bru-Cag (15/5) and Cag-Bru (22/5) with SNBA

Post by BBKing »

Saturday 15/5 saw my first SNBA experience.

Smooth check in at row 5.8, followed by a walk to the A terminal, meanwhile passing the security checks

At the A terminal my girlfriend and me were expected in the Jetair lounge for some free drinks. Never say no to a free drink ...

Our plane (RJ 100 OO-DWJ) was waiting for us at gate A50.

Boarding started at 15 u. First to board were rows 10-20. We were assigned seats 2A and 2C, so we had to wait some moments.

Nice leather seats in the plane, in which we were welcomed by a very friendly cabin crew.

Push back was at 15.23 u. Taxi to runway 07R took us some time (15 minutes). Captain told us that we were nr. 4 for departure. I saw a Swiss Saab 340, a SNBA RJ and a Crossair Embraer 145 taking off before us.

Lining up at runway 07R gave me the opportunity to have a look in the hangar of Sabena Technics in which two planes were worked on (one of which could have been a DHL plane, but I'm not sure). In front of Sabena Technics I saw a couple of white painted Airbusses.

Take off at 15.43 u., some 20 minutes behind schedule. After take off we had some right turns and then a straight climb out.

The weather was wonderfull and gave us a clear sky. We had a great view over Lake Geneva and the Alps. Above the Alps we got the "fasten seatbelts" sign when we passed a turbulence zone.

Catering provided us with the famous Brussels Bistro: a cold pasta (very good !!) and a sandwich cheese (idem). I had a nice orange juice. A little Twix snack was the finishing touch. Afterwards I had a coffee.

Meanwhile we had passed the coastline and were heading out to Sardinia. About half an hour before the scheduled landing time, the cabin crew offered us a little Neuhaus chocolate. I loved it !!

Low altitude approach over the Sardinia Island. On finals we passed Decimomannu Airbase. Touch down at runway 14 at 17.51 u. after a great ride.

During taxi to the ramp I could see a T-33 and an old Aeromacchi plane at the dump of the airfield. At the ramp, a Air One 737 was preparing for taxi and a Air Dolomiti CRJ (I-ADJE) was waiting for its passengers.

Disembarking was at the ramp and a bus brought us to the domestic terminal for bagage reclaim. Within minutes we were at the bus that would bring us to the hotel.

During my week long stay I saw a lot of military planes passing. Given the fact that our hotel was near a VOR-station (Carbonara VOR) I also saw a lot of high altitude traffic passing.

Return to Belgium was at 22/5.

Check in was Italian style: a lot of noise and a lot of show, but not really efficient compared to the Brussels check in.

After passing the security checks we walked into the teminal which is very modern and give a great view on the ramp and the runwy.

A Meridiana MD82 was boarding its passengers. An Edelweiss A320 was starting up its engines. An Air Dolomiti CRJ (I-ADJD) arrived. Alitalia had a Super MD80 at one of the gates, waiting for its passengers. I also saw a white Fokker F27.

While waiting for our flight I saw the arrival of a B757 in the colours of the (defunct) Air Greenjet.com. As far as I know, the plane seemed to be operated by Air One now.

At 17.45 u. our plane arrived from Brussels (RJ 100 OO-DWK).

Boarding at gate 12 started at 18.05 u. We were assigned seats 14 E and 14 F.

Push back at 18.27, and short taxi to runway 14. During taxi I noticed an Italian Army tank close to the runway. I noticed a tank at the same place while at short final the week before. It seems that the Italians are taking no risks, being an active member of the Coalition forces in Iraq.

Take off at 18.38 u. gave us a great view over the harbour of Cagliari. Runway heading climb out was followed by a 180° turn to the North, following the coastline of Sardinia.

The flight over the Mediterranean Sea was bumpy and a mass of high clouds prevented any outside view. The Brussels Bistro provided us with a couscous and a cheese sandwich. Again orange juice and coffee for me.

Above the Alps the captain told us to look outside to the right side for a view on the Mont Blanc. The ride was still bumpy.

Above the north of France the sky got clear.

During descent I tried to recognize a city in order to find out which runway we were approaching. I thought to recognize the city of Manage due to the enormous rail infrastructure.

When passing the Brussels Ring and the Zoniën Woud I was sure that we were on approach for runway 02.

Final was really rough due to a thunderstorm which was at that very moment passing Brussels airport, but the actual landing was very smooth.

Disembarking the plane at gate A43, and heading for bagage reclaim. Within 15 minutes we left the airport building.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report, BBKing. You had excellent business class seats on your outbound flight.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

No business seats actually. The whole plane was economy. Perhaps because it was a charter flight?

Anyway, my first SNBA experience was a nice one. Very friendly cabin crew, good food, and even the RJ (not really my most favourite plane) was a pleasant surprise ...

Comet

Post by Comet »

Your "Bistro" meals sounded quite decent, though I am no fan of the stuff. In fact, the whole thing with the Bistro fills me with horror! On Sabena you at least were offered the choice between different types of sandwich, but with the "Bistro" you just get the box thrown at you, and then you don't know what the hell is in there until you take everything out, only to discover it's something you don't like, or are allergic to!

And the ARJ is a superb aircraft to fly in :mrgreen:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

Louise,

Are you sure that Sabena offered a choice in sandwiches? I flew Sabena several times, but never had a choice as far as I remember.

The Brussels Bistro is in my opinion a great thing: very handy and clean system of catering (also for the cabin crew I presume).

The Avro RJ is not really my favourite plane (it is uggly isn't it?), but the flight was great. Due to the shoulder mounted wing one has a unlimited view.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Thanks for the report BBKing!

For information the first few rows on the RJ give a little extra legspace.

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

sounds like it was superb for a simple charter flight :-)
(be aware sometimes a charter flight also when it's done by a major carrier might be the blank horror !)

so well done SNBA :-)
and long informative trip rep as well :lol: 8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

BBKing wrote:Louise,

Are you sure that Sabena offered a choice in sandwiches? I flew Sabena several times, but never had a choice as far as I remember.

The Brussels Bistro is in my opinion a great thing: very handy and clean system of catering (also for the cabin crew I presume).

The Avro RJ is not really my favourite plane (it is uggly isn't it?), but the flight was great. Due to the shoulder mounted wing one has a unlimited view.
Yes, on my last two flights with Sabena (MAN-BRU-MAN back in September 2001) I was offered a choice between a tuna fish sandwich on a bread roll, or a vegetarian type sandwich. I chose the tuna on the flight out because I like tuna. The sandwich was really nice and fresh tasting, but I have a food allergy, and later that day I had a reaction to something. On the return flight I was offered the tuna or vegetable option again, and I had to tell the steward that I could not have a sandwich. This is when he gave me a bar of chocolate instead.

I have to agree that the ARJ is not the most elegant looking aircraft, but the view is indeed superb, especially the "back engine view" as I call it (usually round about row 12) because you don't get the view spoilt by the huge front of the engines, but you can see the workings of the flaps and things, and sometimes even the landing gear doors as they open and close. When I had a flight in the ARJ 85 of SNBA, the steward made me move to the back to take photos (I don't know the row number) and the view there is even better than at row 12 because all you see is the very edge of the wing. It is tricky finding the table on the back row seats though, the one I was moved to had the table taken out.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Very nice report BBKing. I'm glad you had a great experience :)

The meals seemed to be great.
have to agree that the ARJ is not the most elegant looking aircraft
Sorry Louise I don't agree ;) :mrgreen: But I find the ARJ very cute. It's like a small Antonov 124 ;)

Greetz
Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Chris - yes they are "cute" :lol: but they ain't elegant! I think of elegant as something like the A330 or 340. I do like to fly on the ARJ though because of the superior viewing (though the viewing from the Fokker 50 is even better because the engines are alot slimmer). And VC10 always says about the AN124 being like a large ARJ (except for the different tail design of course :mrgreen:).
Louise

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

I agree Louise ... the RJ is not really an elegant plane, but the view is superb !!!