BRU - LHR - BRU on bmi ( No pictures - sorry)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
meerkat

BRU - LHR - BRU on bmi ( No pictures - sorry)

Post by meerkat »

Sorry again for the delay in posting but a busy time right now.

I had to visit the UK recently for an event near Slough, staying in Colnbrook (about 2 miles fom the takeoff end of 27R) how could I refuse? Although the main event was to take place on the Friday I managed to get an earlyish flight from BRU on Thursday (so as to get in some Heathrow time!), leaving home at 08.15 , getting to the airport around 8.45 for an 11.20 departure - my wife gave me a lift on her way to work - no complaints as plenty of spotting time.

After checking in I went to Wingtips to see around the ramps only to find that their coffee machines were out of use ( Not only you has problems, Comet!). A quick scan around and then through to the shopping area and up into the cafetaria, getting a coffee and a seat by the windows which gave a great start to my log. At around 10.30 through security and into the pier to note all the stuff on the other side and view the landing runway 25L. ( I'll post a list for BRU and for LHR in the spotters forum later)

G-MIDT A320-200( my chariot for the day) arrived from LHR. It became BD146 and we boarded at 10.55, pushed back at exactly 11.20 (an on-time departure) and with little traffic in front of us took off from 25R at 11.29. As this was to be a lenghty flight! we received refreshments of a packet of Walkers Shortbread biscuits and for me a cup of Kenco coffee. Arriving in the vicinity of London we made 2 orbits in the hold before touching down, at 11.19, on runway 27R at Heathrow, arriving quickly at the gate by 11.25 (all times local). As I was pretty early checking in I got a window seat (6A) but it was one of those rows with 2 windows where you have to either lean forwads or backwards to see properly. In any event it was mostly cloudy apart from the Channel crossing. The aircraft was reasonably full with 120 pax, only 2 in Business, my only criticism is that announcements (via drop down screens and video for the safety briefing)are only in English - no problem for me but there were certainly both French and Dutch speakers on the flight. A nice flight with no drama getting me to Heathrow for more than half a days spotting, so off to the bus station for a free bus ride to the visitor centre, until the landing runway changed then onto Car Park 2 where I got no hassle. A great day spotting (only need 1 BA A320 now) then off to my hotel for a well-earn kip, being woken at 06.10 by an Iberia A320 departing.

A day's work ( OK Emirates, I know that it was not all work!!) then back to Heathrow at 18.00 which on Friday evening in Terminal 1 is a real scrum. 40 minutes to check-in then a queue at security only to find a packed airside - not a great place to spend much time unless you can get near the windows. After my Whopper & fries I found a quietish spot between Terminals 1 & 2 where I could much of the aviation, although it is hard to read off the regs. By 30 minutes before departure (ETD 20.15) no information had been posted as to gate and a crowd was gathering near the screens (all other flights had gate numbers) when a bmi rep came out and shouted B53(I think) and everyone hurried the 3 miles to the gate ( 10 mins walk from main departure hall) only to be informed that there was a delay of 20 minutes due to the late arrival of the aircraft from Brussels (G-MIDT again - BD157). Eventually we boarded at 20.45 and again I had a window seat 8F (same configuration of windows!). We pushed at 20.58 and took off at 21.08 right into cloud and turbulence, which stayed with us all the way - seat belt signs remained on the whole flight. Again we were fed & watered, this time with a pastrami & Dijon mustard on wholemeal bread sandwich washed down with an Orange Juice - very tasty, only spolit by my neighbour who had obviously not washed in a long time!!!! The approach into Brussels (25L) was fairly bumpy with rain pouring back down the fuselage as we descended (It had rained all day in Brussels) and we touched down 25 minutes late at 22.55 and got to the gate at 22.58. Again the load was good with about 3 empty seats in Business and only 5 or 6 empty in steerage. Having had to have my bag checked in the hold (1kg overweight - my neighbour had 2 substantial pieces!) I had to walk to Belt 8 (furthest from the doors to reclaim my luggage so I did not get home until 11.40 or so and then had to be up again at 05.30 to go spotting at Frankfurt.

I had only once before flown with bmi, back in 1994 from LHR to PMI and back on a B737-5 and I have to say that I prefer the A320, although 40 minutes flying each way is not too hard on the rear end. The cost €83 plus taxes coming to €127.11, booked 10 days before so pretty good value, paticularly as I made over 80 'frames.

Meerkat

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Excellent trip report, meerkat!

LHR is excellent for regspotting indeed... When you stay in front of the visitors centre, you are able to log all arrivals and departures.

About hotels: the best one is of course the Renaissance (but they call €160 in weekends a 'bargain'). Excellent views from there, but way too expensive. Haven't stayed their yet, but a great alternative must be the new Travelinn. I'm 99% sure that when you ask a room facing the approach path of 27L/R, you will be able to see all traffic landing.

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Is this your first report, Ray? Well thanks for it. I truly enjoyed it!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Good report Meerkat (interesting to note that you braved Wingtips!) It is years (1999) since I was at Heathrow, and that was just for spotting, no flying :cry: The eating "village" in terminal 2 (if it is still there) is a reasonable place, we had nice fish and chips and a chicken leg in there, but the Burger King did offer some interesting views from what I remember.

And I also think the A320 is a better aircraft than the Boeing 737-500.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

@Andre
Not my first report - I posted a BRU-MAN-BRU last July. I don't get to fly too often!!!

@ Comet
I actually ate in Term 1 Burger King - a real gourmet treat! When you are at the Visitor Centre there is a Macdonalds about 50 metres behind and the Centre has snacks and drinks along with books and magazines and some interesting memorabilia - if you can tear yourself away from the front-row real-time action. As has already been said the BA & bmi fleets become a tad repetitive but there are some real gems around between the Brit stuff. The day I was there one of the highlights for the local spotters was the Polish AF Tu154 "101" which for the regular spotters at Brussels is a joke as that bird is a regular visitor. My favourites for the 1st day were the 2 Emirates 777-300's, the Etihad 330 and the Virgin 340-6's. Other than that I just filled lots & lots of gaps!!!!!!!

Meerkat
Log will get posted soon - promise

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Thanks for the report Ray! Enjoyed it!

greetz,

Bart
:rock:

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the nice report Ray :)

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

I've forgotten all about the joys of Heathrow, all my more recent English spotting has taken place at MAN, LCY and BHX - which all have their delights.

Last time when we flew from LHR (1998), we caught the bus from the centre of London to the airport, and had a superb view of a Phillipines aircraft as it taxied for take off (sorry I don't remember the type, I was so surprised to see it close up!) because on this occasion the bus went first to T4, and we were wanting T3 to do some viewing from Burger King.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise