BRU-OTP-BRU with Tarom

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
dna

BRU-OTP-BRU with Tarom

Post by dna »

Here's a report of my flight from Brussels to Bucharest and back with Romanian airline TAROM.

The first leg of the trip was on Thursday May 13, on RO 372. Check-in was quick and friendly, even though my colleagues had to take lots of technical equipment. But the extra weight had been arranged for beforehand, and we managed to get the whole thing over and done with in five minutes or so.

The Tarom aircraft was a Boeing 737-300. It was parked next to one of SNBA's (Birdy's really) A330s that was bound for Freetown and Abidjan. As I was with colleagues I didn't really have the opportunity to look around. Departure was on-time. The plane was a bit disappointing on the inside - the seats didn't look very inviting. I was in seat 6E - I hate middle seats. There was hardly any room to move at all. The load factor must have been about 95%. The food was mediocre: I went for the pork, which was okay-ish. The guy next to me chose beef: it looked better, but I was told it wasn't very nice. The cabin crew was a disappointment: a collection of four old dragons and a male steward in his fifties who turned out to be drunk. We could actually smell he was drunk. He took away any remaining doubts when he threw a tray with food over a poor passenger. I find that really astounding and frightening. If he gets away with it, who knows what goes on on the flight deck... 8O But at least our fears were unfounded as it was a reasonably comfortable flight, with an in-flight entertainment programme. I didn't watch anything, as I'm not too keen on "the world's funniest animal videos" or music videos, but the audio channels were fine. We arrived at Bucharest Otopeni on time. It's a small but quite modern airport, and not unpleasant at all.

Today we flew back to Brussels. The return flight left at 9.30 am, so I had to get up before 6 :cry: The taxi driver - as was to be expected - drove like a madman, so we got to Otopeni well on time. Check-in was smooth. Interestingly, you need to have all your luggage screened before you can proceed to the check-in desks. Each Tarom flight has its own check-in desk (one), and there wasn't anyone queueing at the Brussels check-in. So we didn't lose any time there.

The aircraft again was a 737-300, but an older one than the one we first travelled on. No in-flight entertainment this time. But a much nicer cabin crew - and they were completely sober! Load factor again was about 95%, which - in my opinion - was due to the European Judo Championships which were held in Bucharest over the weekend. The entire Belgian team and all Belgian officials were on the flight, as well as most of the Belgian journalists that covered the event (including myself). I had a window seat this time - 16A, and I definitely had more space than on the first flight. We were served a hot brunch - which was quite nice, with drinks and tea/coffee. The weather was okay for most of the journey. I had a great view of Frankfurt Airport, with aircraft literally all around us. I also had a great view of Liège Airport with no aircraft at all araound us. :wink: We arrived well on-time, so no worries! :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Nice report about a flight that looks like no other reported here before. Glad you survived ;-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the nice report. :)

It nice to have an experince about Tarom in the forums.

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

Interesting report. It's the first time I've read about an airline whose cabin crews are worse than those on Air New Zealand. Tarom is obviously one to avoid!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Comet wrote:
Tarom is obviously one to avoid!
If that's your conclusion after reading a trip report about 2 flights... :roll: If I would avoid all airlines of which I read a bad review, I would better drive from now on.

Thanks for sharing this nice flight experience, dna! It was interesting to read.

Regards
Frederic

dna

Post by dna »

Well the cabin crew on the return flight was okay, no complaints about them. But the crew on the flight to Otopeni, well maybe they were Tarom's "best of the worst" :)

Interestingly, the captains never made any announcements. They only spoke to tell the cabin crew to take their seats prior to take-off. So, in that respect the whole experience was somewhat impersonal.

I only flew to Bucharest once before. I had booked on KLM, but as the Brussels-Amsterdam flight was cancelled, I was transferred to the Sabena flight to Bucharest, and flew in business class. Unfortunately, this was just days before Sabena went bust, and you could tell (no champagne was available for instance). But it was an enjoyable flight nevertheless. I flew back home on KLM (economy) on the very day Sabena was declared bankrupt. It was very strange to arrive in Brussels that evening and to find the airport semi-deserted, and with no one present at Sabena's lost luggage counter. Not exactly a pleasant experience.

Dave