BCN-BRU with SN (12 May 2004)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BCN-BRU with SN (12 May 2004)

Post by sn26567 »

I hope you all read the report of my outbound trip with Iberia. The return would be on the only daily SN flight out of Barcelona: SN3702/IB7796.

I checked in 90 minutes in advance at an IB counter specially devoted to that flight. I was lucky to get seat 18F. Afetr some shopping, I went to the gate, wher the plane had arrived well in advance. It was the Airbus A319 OO-SSG.

Boarding stared 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time (17:40) and was rapidly completed, so that pushback took place 5 minutes ahead of schedule. We were greeted at the door by the smile of purser Valerie. As soon as I was onboard, I was feeling like back in the good old Sabena times: same blue leather seats, same decoration. I was filled with nostalgy. I never had the same feeling aboard an Avro. My seat was at the back of the plane, well behind the wing, with an obstructed view. Load factor was about 70%.

Welcome announcements in French, Flemish and English. Safety announcements on the small overhead TV screens in English, with French and Flemish subtitles. But these were so small that one could not read them (unless you put your nose on the screen).

Take-off to the South, with soon therefater a left turn above the sea to the North. We reached our cruising altitude of 38,000 feet (11,600 m).

The Brussels Bistro meal arrived after half an hour: nice surprise, it was a hot meal, and free, even for IB ticketholders. A fresh salad with cold rice, and the hot tortellini, with a chocolate muffin as desert, and afterwards the traditional Neuhaus chocolates. With that, drinks at will (IB, take note!). I had a nice bottle of French red wine (Côtes du Roussillon), but there was a wide selection of other drinks (white wine, Stella, Maes, soft drinks, coffee and tea). I also had some tea with my chocolates. All served by smiling flight attendants. I sent the picture of one of them to Bart for his collection.

The route brought us (with beautiful weather) above Toulouse to the East of Paris, where the altitude was reduced to 34,000 ft (10,800 m). A few minutes thereafter we started our descent to Brussels. Coming from the South with a NW wind, I expected to land on 02, but Bert decided to disperse us to 25R with the large tour around Brussels.

Landing was timely and perfect. It was a nice flight, full of nostalgy for the Sabena old-timer that I am.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Great report Andre. I am surprised that you get a hot meal with the Bistro thing, I thought it always came in a box.

I too remember the design of the old Sabena fabric seats. I got the design on video on a flight on one of their B737-500s out of Manchester :lol:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's a great report André :)

It's funny I flew with OO-SSG just a bit more than a week a go ;) and if there wouldn't have been an SNBA sticker in the front, you could indeed think you are flying Sabena :P
Safety announcements on the small overhead TV screens in English, with French and Flemish subtitles. But these were so small that one could not read them (unless you put your nose on the screen).
I totally agree with you André. I had the same impression when the saftey demonstratio nwas done on the eclipse flight. You can only read the treanslations if you're in the row of the screen.

For the rest the flight seemed to be great, with a perfect meal ;)
I am surprised that you get a hot meal with the Bistro thing, I thought it always came in a box.
Nope, and there are even different hot meals Louise. When my father went to IST a coupke of weeks ago, he got a warm omelette, a warm croissant etc... as a breakfast.
I hope you'll also get something warm on your flights ;)

Greetz
Chris
Last edited by Avro on 14 May 2004, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Bistro box for a hot meal is bigger than for a cold snack. But it was really nice to have a hot meal, which is now the standard for flights of over 2 hours. This one lasted just two hours.
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

When you're lucky, you can even get a pizza :!: onboard SN.
For pictures of the pizza Brussels Bistro meal and others check out :arrow: http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexMeals.html

OO-VEX

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

This is the correct link: http://www.airlinemeals.net/meals/SNBru ... lines.html

Cherio, Michaël

Avro

Post by Avro »

But the pizza, was served before the new brussels Bistro concept was there. I don't know if they serve pizza's in Y class now. We'll have to ask Bart :?:

Chris

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Great report André!

I had the same nostalgic impression as your when I boarded a SN Brussels A.319 and later the remaining Sabena A.321.

It is also a pleasure to know that SNBA has not copied IB's 'in-flight' catering policy (yet) :roll:

Regards

BeN :idea:

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Avro wrote:But the pizza, was served before the new brussels Bistro concept was there. I don't know if they serve pizza's in Y class now. We'll have to ask Bart :?:

Chris
Chris,

The Brussels bistro pizza is picture n°028 ( april 12, 2004). The one you are talking about is probably picture n°003.

OO-VEX

Avro

Post by Avro »

OO-VEX wrote: Chris,

The Brussels bistro pizza is picture n°028 ( april 12, 2004). The one you are talking about is probably picture n°003.

OO-VEX
Oops :oops: You're right I didn't saw the one in 028 :oops:

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

We won't get those nice-sounding hot Bistro meals on our upcoming SNBA flights :cry: We have MAN-BRU, BRU-MAN, BHX-BRU and BRU-BHX, it is pushing it to get those fligths to last an hour, let alone the two hours you need to get the hot meal :(

And when are we going to read the BRU-MAN-BRU reports we were promised last week :?:
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Comet, why not booking a return to MAD or FCO on SN?

You will not only fly the ARJ's if you carefully select your flights, but you will also get a HOT bistro meal (while VLM doesn't serve hot meals!!).

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Louise: I just checked some fares for you, and you can fly MAN-BRU-MAD-BRU-MAN for only £120!!!

I don't think that SN will earn a lot of money on those flights, but at least you get a hot meal and 3 rides on the ARJ (4 when you make a weekend-trip).

Sorry for being off topic...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Frederic - those MAN-BRU-MAD-BRU fares are superb, really! The cheapest we could get from BHX-BRU-BHX was £97. Most flights I've seen on Expedia and others, which involve a change in another airport, are really expensive. If those flights are operated by ARJ and involve a hot meal, then that is truly superb value. And Madrid has some beautiful sights from what I've seen in books and travel brochures - the architecture is wonderful there (that is what I take photos of most when I go on holiday, apart from aircraft of course!)
Louise