Trip report; USA - Phoenix AZ. Part 1

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Jense

Trip report; USA - Phoenix AZ. Part 1

Post by Jense »

As promised, my first part of my trip to the USA (Phoenix - Arizona)

My flights were: BRU-FRA (LH4572), FRA-DEN (LH446) and DEN-PHX (UA1450)

6.35; “Biep biep biep...“My alarmclock rings… “Wake-up, Jens” Screams my dad. I got dressed in 2 mintues (!) and was awake, counting the seconds waiting for my departure off to the airport (BRU).
7.10; “Tuut tuut”, my uncle before my house. “And Jens” he said, “ready for the big trip?”. “Off course man :D ” I said back. Loading the 4 bags of lugguage into his Renault Espace and off we go…
7.55; After a 45 minutes drive, we arrived in BRU airport. My first plane I saw was G-OBYB (Brittania B763) on the remote-parking at the C-concourse… We said goodbye to my uncle and we went into the nice terminal-building.
8.00; After some problems with the electronic tickets, we finally checked in row 4 for our trip to the USA. My dad asked for a window-seat, but there weren’t any window-seats available anymore :( :cry: :evil: . I only got window-seats on the short hops from BRU to FRA and from DEN to PHX… Better then nothing, but still…
8.20; After the check-in, we decided to go to eat something in Wingtips… I got a little breakfast between nice planes 8O :D . At the B-terminal were HB-JVB (Helvetic F100), OO-SFM and OO-SFN (SN A333), SP-LKE (LOT B735 Star Alliance c/s) and lots of SN BA’s… TF-ILB and another A300 of DHL in white “c/s” were parked at the DHL-apron… Whilst having breakfast, I saw Tine Reymer (Sedes & Belli; Belgian TV-program) and Peter Van Den Begin (Sketch a Go Go; Belgian TV-program) in Wingtips, pretty nice to start the day like that ;).
8.50; We walked under the tarmac, straight to concourse A, where our flight to FRA departs. After we passed the security-check, we decided to go straight to our gate A57.
9.15; Waiting and waiting in concourse A, but not too bad for me, I did some nice spotting from concourse A… Finnair, KLM, SN BA, Virgin Express, … all parked awaiting their flight.
10.13; Our plane (D-AIQS, A320-211, coming from FRA flight nr.: LH4572) arrived only 3 minutes late at the gate. The passengers disembarked, plane refuelled and being prepared for the return-flight back to FRA.
10.40; “Ladies and gentlemen, flight LH4573 is now ready for boarding gate A57. We ask you kind to get your boarding-pass ready…” We boarded the plane in ‘Zones’. I don’t know how long this methode is active yet; comments welcome…
10.50; Once in the plane, my seat was 15A and the main-FA welcomed us aboard; “Ladies and gentlemen welcome on board this Airbus 320-200 with destination Frankfurt. We’ll reach Frankfurt after 45 minutes flight. Captain *** (don’t know his name anymore) and his crew wish you a very nice stay aboard.
10.58; After a short taxi, we were on rwy 25R. A holding of 3 seconds and giving full power to FRA. Smooth take-off, gear retraced and turning left to avoid Brussels city due to noise. Rather slow climb and heading to FRA. We got our meal (fast catering!); a little sandwich with cheese and bacon, with a little ‘glass’ of water. Our cruising altitude was 27,000ft but I don’t know the speed anymore… I took the inflight-magazine, safety-cards, for a short read.
I can swear you one thing; 45 minutes flying is nothing, it passed soooo quick. We leaved BRU in bad weather, but that changed as we were over the border of Belgium/Germany. Descending into FRA was long, because of the many traffic over there. Over the city, on a left-downwind-leg. We landed in FRA on rwy 25R, I think (rwy closest to terminal, cargo, etc…) We arrived FRA on time and we parked near a SAS A321 (OY-KBB). (Load factor in economy was 100%)
11.45; When we disembarked the plane, we were searching for the right gate for our flight (LH446) to DEN. We found the gate-number and walked to the B-concourse (our was B25)... We were a little bit stressed first because of the short-get-over-time… But everything was OK, flight LH446 was delayed with 1 hour, so time enough…
12.05; We walked under the tarmac in the tunnel that connects the A-concourse with the B-concourse… A tunnel with special light effects, quite nice but sure not new;). We got to the big security-check in FRA… The man who “scanned” me said to put out my sweater, shoes and all the metal-things… Security-level is soooo high on long-haul, and especially transatlantic, flights…
12.45;After all that stuff, we got a drink and walked to our gate where D-ABVT (B747-430) “Rheinland-Pfalz” was waiting for our flight to DEN. I saw a Singapore B744, several LH 744 and A343, also 3 A346’s of LH and A330’s… We boarded our Jumbo at 13.40…
13.55; The boarding is completed, and LH446 is ready to go to DEN. “Ladies and gentlemen welcome on board this Boeing 747-400 flight number LH446 with destination Denver. The flight-time of today is 9hrs. and 45min. Please fasten you seat belt and do not smoke until the entire flighttime…”
14.00; Whilst pushing-back, an amusant video of the safety-instructions was shown on the screens…
14.10; After a rather short taxi, we were the 5th in line-up for rwy 07L… The previous planes were away and the rwy was clear for our Jumbo…
14.15; Full power! What a beast that a 744 is on take-off roll… Giving full power and blasting everything away for DEN. After take-off, the fasten-seatbelt light went out and we were finally in the air. A pity that I didn’t got a window-seat to view everything under us :( :cry: :evil: . But I can imagine that the take-off was awesome… I was so happy to be in the Jumbo that I almost forgot to breath man :D 8) :D After 1 hour flight, we saw our route to DEN. Over Köln to AMS, Ireland and South Greenland, over Labrador City (Woef;)) and Minneapolis. We got our first drink above AMS. A coke was on the menu for me, served by a very kind, friendly and good looking LH-crew. The screens were already 30 minutes on, but now are cruising speed and cruising altitude were visible. Some technical details: outside temperature: -59°, altitude: 10,700m., 1,000km/h… We got our lunch; a sort of roast-beef, potatoes, salad with tomatoes, a little bread (Butter and cheese included) and a little cake as desert. My second coke was also a fact ;). Watching some films, walking around, reading some magazines, … all to let the time passing… 7 hours under our way and we got our dinner. There was a choose between chicken and pasta. I got the chicken, but I was so hungry that I forgot to make a picture of it (I’m so sorry :oops: ). Again good tasting, although it was quite spicy. My third coke and first water were a fact ;). Dinner was finished as we climbed to 11,700m., I have no idea why, but probably due to some turbulence… We passed the Atlantic for more then 3 hours now and were heading over the rough landscape of Canada and northern USA; a wonderful view. Time past so quick as we started our (long) descend into DEN. A rather bumpy approach but a great, smooth landing in the wonderful Denver-world. (Load factor on this flight was 100% in economy)
16.45: We left our Jumbo and we did our first steps on American ground. A great feeling :D. We went to the passport-control where we were in a looooong row. We waited about 45 minutes. The officer checked our passports, papers, … “Welcome to America, sir” He said.
16.50: We picked up our luggage for 5 minutes to go thru the control and check in again. “So, where are you guys coming from?” asked a nice lady us… “We’re from Belgium, miss…” “Oh really?” she said, “I hope you enjoy our wonderful country sir, have a nice day and go on to gate A52…”.
17.00: We did what the kind lady said and after 5 minutes of walking, we were on the famous ‘Denver-bridge’. It was quite funny to ‘walk above an aircraft’:D. I did some reg-spotting whilst my parents and my brother already went to the gate. Man, Denver is fun for spotting! I can strongly recommend you; from huge T7’s and B744, to very good looking A318’s…
17.15: A quarter after my family, I finally arrived at our gate. Everybody was already tired from the long trip (except me, of course;)), but we had still some 1,5 hours flying time to go. :D We had a drink in a typical American pub. Man; America is BIG. I asked for a ‘small’ coke, I got 0,5L coke :D. What they call ‘small’ ;).
17.20: After our short pub-visit, we decided to go to our gate. The plane was delayed with 30 minutes, but they were almost up now, so time to say ‘goodbeye’ to the Jumbo who brought me there… The push-back was great, I got a friendly wave of the F/O…
17.30: “Ladies and gentlemen, flight UA1455 with destination Phoenix is now ready for boarding gate A52. Please keep your boarding card ready…” Last time boarding, last flight’ll begin… We were ready for boarding Ted’s ship N497UA, an Airbus 320-200
17.45: After the taxi, we did a direct take-off… The take-off was really powerful and very fast… I was waiting to the ‘gear-retraction’, but there wasn’t :s. After 10 seconds, the F/O contacted us and said that the gear was too hot, and retracting it late the only and best way was to cool it down. Quite nice, as I had seat 6F and saw the reflections of the gear in the engine… Finally, after 7 (!) minutes, the pilot retracted the gear. Off to PHX, my final destination. I was a now a little bit tired, but I didn’t went to sleep because flying is so wonderful with a very nice sunset ;). Heavy turbulence after 55 minutes flight waked the plane up… The, very very kind and friendly, FA’s waited a little bit with serving our beverage and a ‘little snack’. I got a coke and everybody got ‘Pretzels’. After a rather turbulent flight (wich is quite normal; the cold mountains going over in desert gives always some problems) we started our descend into PHX. We did a right downwind-leg into Sky Harbor International… After a very short final, we did our very last, and very smooth, landing… There I was; Phoenix – Arizona, starting the 14 holidays…

We visited the Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Zion National park, Bryce canyon national park, the Grand Canyon, Montezuma castle, Camp Verde, Sedona, Tucson, the desert-museum, the Kartchner Caverns, Bisbee, Tombstone and downtown Phoenix and Tempe… We stayed 4 days with our friends, the other days when visiting things were in Best Western Hotels…

If you have any questions, hints or comments, just push the reply-button :D :wink:

(Some pictures can be found in the coppermine)

greettzzz
Last edited by Jense on 08 May 2004, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Great first report, Jense! I just love it. It reminds me a similar trip to Phoenix in 1991, except that I flew PanAm BRU-JFK and JFK-SFO, and than America West SFO-PHX. I visited most of the sites that you mentioned: a marvelous vacation!
I asked for a ‘small’ coke, I got 0,5L coke

Yeah, I know: 0.4 L of ice and 0.1 L of Coke.

Didn't you have stomach burns with all that Coke during your trip?
André
ex Sabena #26567

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Nice report Jense ;)

Greetz,

Dave

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

Nice report!! :D
What a transfers!! :? But you've seen many planes. Can't wait to read part 2! ;)

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Great Report Jense.
Loved reading it. It sound like I made the flight myself.

Best Regards,
Yvo

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Wow reaally superb report Jens!
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Comet

Post by Comet »

Great report - wrong forum. It should be in Airline Experiences!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Jense

Post by Jense »

Comet wrote:Great report - wrong forum.
Thank you, Louise... 2 times :D
Admins, can you change it to the right forum, please? (Sorry :oops: )
Flying_Dutchman wrote:What a transfers!! :?
We acutally didn't booked this trip. The flight FRA - PHX - FRA (LH448 - LH449) was ended by Lufthansa in February. Because we booked LH, we needed to travel with them... Altought, I didn't mind :wink:...
sn26567 wrote:Didn't you have stomach burns with all that Coke during your trip?
Well, actually not... I have a realy strong stomach... :D :wink:
Ooh, and btw; I asked most of the time no ice, I know what you mean. :D

greettzzz

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Jense wrote:
Comet wrote:Great report - wrong forum.
Admins, can you change it to the right forum, please?
Done! I didn't notice when I read your report. Probably to thrilled by the atmosphere...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Excellent trip report, Jense!

I'm glad that LH still serves two 'real' meals on their longer transatlantic flights, instead of one lunch/dinner and a sandwich meal.

You said you did some regspotting between your connections: assuming you were using binoculars, haven't you been approached by the security agents asking you what you were doing?

Looking forward to the return!

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Jense

Post by Jense »

Sabena_690 wrote:You said you did some regspotting between your connections: assuming you were using binoculars, haven't you been approached by the security agents asking you what you were doing?
Well, I was also suprised that no one did some 'research' or did a question... Better like that :wink:
Btw: Frontier tails are even more beautiful in real :D

greettzzz

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Great report Jense!

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Great trip report! Was this your first trip to "the valley of the sun" ?

I have been to Phoenix many times before and I have always enjoyed it a lot.

Did you get a chance to spot at Luke Air Force base while you were there?
Onward and Upward...

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

Wonderful trip report, Jense !!! :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: Must be a cool experience to fly the B747.
Btw: Frontier tails are even more beautiful in real :D
I can believe that! Did you also saw Frontier 737's (because they are currently phasing them out and replacing by A318/A319's) ?

An alternative to spot Frontier a/c is Finkenwerder. As long as the delivery plan for the Airbusses runs, there are mostly one or even two a/c parked outside and doing test-flights.

But it must be much nicer to see them flying in a landscape like Arizona!

Regards, Robin Bamps.

Jense

Post by Jense »

Robin_Bamps wrote:Did you also saw Frontier 737's (because they are currently phasing them out and replacing by A318/A319's) ?
I saw several B737's, but some were parked on remote stands in Denver. Altough the paint-scheme looks nice on that plane, an Airbus looks better in that great livery.

greettzzz

flightsimboy

Post by flightsimboy »

Jense, great report 8) 8) ...the B744 is a great beast to be on :D

Jense

Post by Jense »

Thanks for all your nice comments. It really makes me happy :D
My second report is also online now @ https://www.aviation24.be/postt4768.html

greetttzzz

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's a wonderful report Jense :)

It made me remember the time when I visited all those national parks (in 1999) and the time when I flew Sabena's B747 to CVG and then DL to SFO

Chris
8)