BRU-BHX on SNBA 31st March 2004 (Now With Video)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

BRU-BHX on SNBA 31st March 2004 (Now With Video)

Post by Comet »

This is the final part of my flight report for last week's beer buying expedition.

We had received our boarding cards in Birmingham, so we had a more leisurely journey to Brussels Airport. We decided to have something to eat, so we made the mistake of going to Wingtips, the panoramic restaurant in the BRU terminal. Although the hot "food" in Wingtips is inedible, we thought they surely can't foul up a simple salad :?: They could :!: The mozzarella and olive and tomato salad was totally tasteless and an expensive rip off. Message to the Wingtips staff - before you can call that inedible muck you serve up at extortionate prices "food", I suggest that you first learn how to cook properly :!:

I managed to take a couple of photos of a Swiss A319 (HB-IPT) from the Wingtips window (where I could also have a view of the Atomium!)

After we left Wingtips we had a look at the 1958 exhibition, which had a section about the building of the Atomium (wonderful landmark, can't wait to see it again!)

Our flight left from B-pier - gate B11. We saw a SQ Boeing 747-400. My bag of beer was really heavy, and I couldn't wait to board the aircraft to have a rest from carrying it. Normally I love a delay on flights out of Brussels!

Our flight was SN2047, to be operated by Avro RJ100 OO-DWH.

OO-DWH.

The flight was scheduled to leave at 18:40, but at 18:30 we were still waiting at the gate to be allowed to board the aircraft. I had been given seat 13A, again on the two abreast side.

Eventually we were allowed to board. This time there was a female purser and two stewardesses on the flight. They greeted us pleasantly and then we went to our seats. This time we were held up because a passenger failed to board, and they had to remove his/her luggage. Then the pilot announced that the other cause of the delay was the noise dispersion plan and current runway use. We were eventually pushed back at 18:59.

The view from the window of 13A. This time the aircraft was in full SNBA livery, as you can see from the lilac coloured engines.

We had a long take off run, and climbed smoothly, but we soon encountered the heavy cloud and turbulence which was to mark out this flight more than the one earlier in the morning.

Shortly after take off we were served with the indescribable Brussels Bistro. This time it was two malted bread sandwiches of smoked ham, cheese and pickle, with a carton of water and a tiny piece of Twix chocolate.

The meal.

The in flight magazine was handed out in the same way as before. This flight was almost full, and so I did all my photography from the seat I had been allocated (though I was not invited to move to the seat with the best view, unlike on the morning flight!)

As we approached into Birmingham, we passed some hideous-looking weather.

The vile weather near Birmingham.

The flight had been announced as 55 minute duration, slightly shorter than the morning run. On this occasion there were no chocolates at all handed out. Although Carlos had given me extra chocolate on the outward flight, I would have appreciated some on the return as well! Although all the SN crews we have ever come across have been very pleasant and polite, stewards seemed to have a different approach to dealing with passengers. Extra chocolates and the best seat was what I call very good, it would be very nice if Carlos was on SN2174 on 6th September!

We touched down slightly late in Birmingham, and that was the end of another trip to Beautiful Brussels.

Now roll on 6th September and SN2174. MAN-BRU - life doesn't get any better than that!

(and if I have my way we'll have a beer-buying trip to Brussels every year from now on! :twisted: )

Thanks again to all our SNBA crews - you were the best! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Comet on 26 Apr 2004, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Again an excellent trip report!

For a 55 minutes flight time, they provided a good service! I'm surprised you didn't get any chocolates...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the comments Frederic. Maybe we didn't get the chocolate because of the tiny piece of Twix in the Bistro box.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Again a very nice report :P

Wouldn't it be better if SNBA would offer a bigger Twix, because that one really seems small :? :?:

Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the comments Chris. Going back to comparisons, but this time with Sabena, on my last flight with them I did get a full size Twix when I had to refuse the sandwich they offered me. The Brussels Bistro is the only negative of SNBA, compared to some of the older photos in the airline meals section, they have really gone downhill with in-flight catering and that is a real pity because they are a superb airline in every other respect. The catering is the only aspect whcih VLM are superior in, and I want to see SNBA being better than VLM (see how I've changed since my first SNBA flights :lol: )
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

I may be right about the meal, I can't compare since I never flew with VLM and never flew with SNBA since they introduced the BRussels Bistro concept.

Anyway, about the Connect magazine I wonder why they didn't hand them out earlier. When I flew SNBA in September I got the connect magazine on both flights, before the T/O :roll: And all the pax even got a drink (Water or Orange juce) BEFORE the taxi. I wonder why they don't do that anymore. :roll:

Chris
8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Louise's opinion is the only negative one about the Brussels Bistro concept. I reported in another airline experoence that I was delighted: better food (although less) and adapted to the time of the day: sandwiches, pies, salads, etc.

My only negative point was the mineral water that came from Holland, whereas there are so many nice waters in teh Ardennes.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

To see the QuickTime video of our take off from Brussels, visit the site below

[url]http://aircraft_photos1.tripod.com[/url]
Louise

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

cool vid!
looks like a long take off roll you had there ...
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Comet

Post by Comet »

Killerwhale - it certainly was a long take off roll, the longest one I've had in an Avro RJ/BAe 146 type.

Glad you liked the video.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:Louise's opinion is the only negative one about the Brussels Bistro concept.
No it isn't!! My Mum also hates the stuff! At least with Sabena you knew what sandwiches were being offered because they gave you the choice of which one you wanted (and if you told them you couldn't eat the sadnwiches they gave you a bar of chocolate instead :lol: )

With this Modge in a Box, you don't know what the hell is in there until you have opened it and taken everything out. But then again the whole service on that return flight was not brilliant. We had three stewardesses, one didn't know what the other was doing and in other words they were completely inefficient, probably why we didn't get any chocolate handed out like we had on the outward flight that morning.
Louise