BHX-BRU with SNBA 31st March 2004

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

BHX-BRU with SNBA 31st March 2004

Post by Comet »

This is the first of two reports covering our recent day trip to Brussels.

We had an early start on the Wednesday morning, as we were booked on a 06:33 train from Birmingham New Street to Birmingham International. On arrival at Birmingham International rail station, we boarded the "Sky Train", a small shuttle train of two carriages which runs between Birmingham International station and terminal one at BHX. The journey lasts just under two minutes and runs on an elevated track. It was obviously sponsored by Flybe, given the number of times "Flybe" was shreiked over the speakers in the carriage to coincide with a video advertising the airline.

The SNBA flights operated from terminal 2, also called the Eurohub, a terminal exclusively for BA and its code share partners. We checked in on arrival, and because we only had hand luggage we were given a boarding card for the return flight from Brussels. This meant more time in the city without having to rush back to the airport to check in - great!!

The departure lounge was quiet that morning, but, with the exception of one small area, photgraphy was impossible so I will just have to list what I saw. There was the Ryanair Jaguar Boeing 737-200, a BAe 146 in Air France livery, a Boeing 737 of Aer Lingus, a Boeing 737 of CSA, a Saab 2000 in Crossair colours and a KLM Fokker jet with the characteristic filthy tail you always seem to see on KLM Fokker jets!

This was the only area in the departure lounge where photography was possible, and as you can see the space was occupied by an Avro RJ of British Airways, so no chance of seeing SNBA parking here :(

It was quite a foggy morning, which was disappointing. Our flight number was SN2038, departure time 08:50. We saw our aircraft arrive, and then we waited until we knew which gate to go to. Eventually we were told it was through door F (the same as the previous day's flight). Our aircraft was Avro RJ85 OO-DJT.

OO-DJT.

I had been given seat 12A, a window seat on the left side of the aircraft, the two abreast side. When we boarded we were greeted pleasantly by the female purser. There was also a steward on the flight, but he was standing right at the back of the aircraft and played no part in greeting the passengers. His name was announced as Carlos. (I don't remember the purser's name).

The first thing I noticed was the lack of an in flight magazine in the seat back pouch. I was rather surprised - VLM have a magazine available immediately, and I like to read the magazine before take off. Once airborne I look through the window!

The seats were comfortable, and leather throughout.

The leather seats inside the aircraft.

OO-DJT still has some rudimentary features of its old Sabena livery, notably the engine cowlings.

The Sabena-blue engine cowlings.

We were pushed back at 08:48 and taxied to the runway. The safety demonstration was carried out in English, French and Dutch by both flight attendants.

Click the link below to see the video of our take off from Birmingham
http://airlinephotos.tripod.com/sitebui ... akeoff.mov
(this is a QuickTime video file taken on my new digital camera, I never use a full size video camera during take off and landing!). If that link does not work, go to http://airlinephotos.tripod.com/airline ... e/id2.html and right click on the video link, then click "save target as" to download the video.

We had a smooth take off, which was spoilt by that damned fog! Shortly after take off, Carlos handed out the in-flight magazine (at last!)

The in-flight magazine.

Initially there was alot of cloud along the route.

A back engine view - the best to have on the ARJ!

The meal consisted of the Brussels Bistro. There was a sandwich with a piece of Gouda cheese (you needed a magnifying glass to see the sandwich!), a muesli bar, a carton of apple juice (which I didn't drink) but I had orange juice instead. As Carlos was handing the meals out, he told me that I could go and have a seat in the back row because that had a more uninterrupted view if I wanted to take photos. I decided to wait until after I had eaten (good job really because the two back row seats had no tables!)

The Brussels Bistro meal. Sorry SNBA but VLM really have the edge in catering, I found the Bistro to be tasteless and stingy.

After the meal, Carlos came back again and suggested I move to the back row. I did, and VC10 was glad because it meant she could have a window seat as well.

The weather had cleared, and we flew over London, following the course of the Thames and seeing the distinctive, and familiar, runway of London City below us. From London we headed out across the sea and crossed the coast near Oostende.

Crossing the Belgian coast.

Carlos came back to ask if I had managed to get a good photo as we crossed the Belgian coastline, the photo I took is above.

Some views taken as we approached.

Carlos came round with a basket of Belgian chocolates shortly before landing. They were wonderful chocolates, so I was pleased when he came back afterwards and gave me an extra one! Then he asked for my camera so he could take my photo in the aircraft. No cabin crew has ever done that before, normally they take no notice of photos and videos! He took my photo, and I wish I'd taken one of him to put in this report!

We approached into Brussels in bright sunshine. Click the link below to see the first part of our approach

http://aviationvideo.tripod.com/sitebui ... oach01.mov
And the second part
http://aviationvideo.tripod.com/sitebui ... oach02.mov
(if they don't work go to http://aviationvideo.tripod.com and hit the links on that page).

We had been told that the flight would last for one hour, but we had a smooth landing in Brussels 12 minutes ahead of schedule. I saw my first SNBA A330s.

Olympic, Finnair and Austrian line up in Brussels.

Another view of the apron.

Air Nostrum (an Iberia partner) CRJ, registered EC-HTZ. Where does this aircraft fly to? I would have expected a larger one for Madrid.

It was great to be back in Brussels. We were bussed to the arrivals area, and then we stepped out into the warm sunshine to catch our bus to Schuman station.

It was an excellent flight, and the service on board could not be faulted. Thanks Carlos and SNBA :thumbsup:
Last edited by Comet on 12 Apr 2005, 11:51, edited 3 times in total.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

I have just tested the video links. To see the footage, right click on the actual video link and select "save target as" to download and see the footage.

Clicking on the link in the ordinary way will not open the file, you need to right click!
Louise

Airborne

Post by Airborne »

Very nice report, Louise :thumbsup: It's nice to hear you had a great day in Brussels. I just saw the first video. He's excellent! I also tried the other two but they didn't work. Maybe it's just my computer ...

Greetzzz,
Kristof :wink:

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Kristof. I have just checked the problem with the other videos, I will have to find another home for them - glad you enjoyed the first one though.

I will do my best to get the other two online as soon as I can.
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

To see the first part of our approach into Brussels, visit my new site

http://louiseaviation.tripod.com
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report, Louise.

First time we have a video report on Luchtzak! :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks a lot for the nice report + videos and pictures Louise!

I'm glad you enjoyed your flights...

For info: 'VLM having the edge in terms of catering': I think that the current VLM catering is very simillar to the one of SN (a sandwich, a small dessert, and a drinkservice).

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Andre and Frederic - thanks for your comments. The idea of adding video was a late one - when I discovered that I could upload the video from my new camera onto the internet I thought I just had to get some take off footage at last (with my full size video camera I can only use it in flight and I have always wanted some take off and final approach footage). I shot some video of the take off from BRU and the final approach into BHX, but I think the file will be too big to go on my website so I won't be able to add that one (the BHX approach is over 2 minutes).

VLM have always served sandwiches, it's the amount of sandwich you get that makes the difference between the two carriers. The VLM ones are like small baguettes or large seed-topped rolls - certainly a bigger portion than the Brussels Bistro, but that does not detract from the excellent on-board service we received with SNBA - the crew cannot be blamed for having to serve up such stingy portions.

To do a direct comparison between the two carriers (being totally honest about each one):

Comfort - both VLM and SNBA are equal here. The four abreast seats on the Fokker 50 of VLM compare favourably with the five abreast leather seats on the ARJ of SNBA.

In-flight service - Carlos on the outward flight was far better than any cabin crew we have come across on VLM. On the return flight however, there were no chocolates handed out, we had chocolates and extra sweets before take off both ways with VLM, so that equals out both airlines. All the crews we have encountered have been pleasant and polite, be they VLM or SN.

In-flight food - sandwiches with both carriers (even going back to the days of Sabena). VLM have larger portions, and Sabena had larger portions than the current offerings from SNBA. Here VLM are on top.

I won't discuss punctuality because that can be affected by various things which can be out of the control of the airlines themselves, so that is an unfair comparison I think.

And SNBA really ought to have a magazine available to read when you board without having to wait until after take off.
Louise

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

cool report louise, and cool video's. Is the landing at BRU still coming?

Question: why is it u never shoot with your videocamera dureing landing and takeoff?
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

By the way, with all the photo-trip reports I read lately, I am going to change my strategy too! :mrgreen:

It's just so much nicer to read a trip report with pictures...

Expect trip reports with pictures from my side this summer ;)

Regards
Frederic

Comet

Post by Comet »

Killerwhale - I never use my video camera during take off and landing because in the safety cards it says you should only use that kind of electrical equipment during the cruise and never during take off or landing. I've always stuck rigidly to that.

Frederic - will be nice to see your illustrated reports. I always think that photos really add to a flight report.

I will try and get the BRU landing uploaded. I had another try with it yesterday afternoon but it didn't work properly. It is just over 14MB file and takes around two hours to upload from my hard drive to the internet.
Louise

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Comet wrote:Killerwhale - I never use my video camera during take off and landing because in the safety cards it says you should only use that kind of electrical equipment during the cruise and never during take off or landing. I've always stuck rigidly to that.
I know, in theory its forbidden, but in reality they never mind. Look at all the great cockpit footage that some people shoot from inside the flightdeck. So i never care and shoot anyway - and they clearly see it that i shoot.
Besides i dont think there's alot of difference between the electricity of a video- and a still-camera ;-)
Matthias Thoen

Comet

Post by Comet »

The video footage I took of our final approach and touch down in Brussels is now available on my Mum's site.

Visit http://vc10fan.tripod.com and click the link to view the video.
Louise

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

"Sorry, but the page or the file that you're looking for is not here" :-(
Matthias Thoen

Comet

Post by Comet »

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

That was the fourth attempt at uploading that damned video!!! It takes around 2 hours to upload from my computer hard drive to the internet!

:dammit: :dammit: :dammit: :dammit: :dammit: :dammit: :dammit: :dammit: :dammit:

Why do Tripod have the option to add video to your webpage then delete your site when people try to view the video you have added :?: :?:

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

I could see the video this morning!

Well done, only a pity that you didn't film the touch down + roll on the runway ;)

Frederic

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Thanks for the nice report!

Regards

BeN :idea:

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Cool report! Too bad you didn't like the meal. Did you have to buy the meal on board or was the meal included with the flight?
Onward and Upward...

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Louise,

mail the movies to me if they don't work, I will try to find some place for them on the luchtzak-server.

Trevor,

SN Brussels Airlines is known for bringing a splendid and free service so you don't need to pay ;-)

greetings,

Bart
:rock:

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

@Trevor: with what you are used to get on a domestic flight in the US, I guess you are shocked when you see that passengers get several drink services, a sandwich, and a chocolate service on a 1h SN flight? :mrgreen:

Unfortunately a lot of EU airlines are following US airlines with a 'buy on board programme'. With the difference that drinks are still free on most US carriers.

Frederic