BHX-BRU with SNBA 31st March 2004

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Post by Comet »

Frederic - I will get the video uploaded this afternoon, it should be a smaller file size than the BRU landing. The BHX approach/touch down is too big to add because it is 30MB and over two minutes long. At least this take of was not spoiled by fog like the BHX one was.

VC10 has also decided to circulate the photo Carlos took of me in the aircraft, she thinks it is a nice souvenir of the flight, I think it is :oops: (so please no one ask me to post it on here :oops: )
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote: I would have thought that a larger aircraft would have operated the Brussels to Madrid service, I thought that maybe the CRJ would have operated to a different city.
In the rush hours IB operates teh A321, A320 and B752. The CRJ operates in the midday hours.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the info Andre. We landed just before 11am, so that explains why the CRJ was there.

The BRU take off video is now online, and I have announced it on this thread because it attracted more interest than the BRU-BHX report (I cannot believe the number of hits this report has had compared to the return trip report!)

The return trip is at https://www.aviation24.be/postt4327
Louise

dna

Post by dna »

This is a belated reply to vflies' query about Qantas on-board service.

I flew Sydney-Cairns-Sydney on Qantas last February, and was not impressed with the in-flight service. Both flights were around lunchtime, and journey time on both legs was just under three hours. Yet, all we were served was a sandwich, cheese & crackers and a biscuit. Soft drinks were free, you had to pay for beer, wines and spirits. I had only just opened my bottle of chardonnay when the crew re-appeared with tea and coffee. After that, they were not to be seen for the remaining 1 hour and 45 minutes of the flight! Very poor timing and service if you ask me. At least the Cairns-Sydney flight was on a brand new A330-200. Wonderful aircraft, and the flight was very comfortable. With stunning views of the Great Barrier Reef just after take-off from Cairns!

I flew the same route on Qantas in 1998 and I remember we were served a hot lunch, but you had to pay for alcoholic drinks even then. And I again flew Sydnet-Cairns-Sydney in 2000 on Ansett, and I think we were served a hot meal then as well, although I am not totally sure.

I also flew Qantas for my journey from Frankfurt to Sydney, and from Sydney to Heathrow. The service was reasonable, but nothing spectacular. The cabin crew were friendly, helpful and courteous though, unlike the crew on Qantas' domestic flights.

Comet

Post by Comet »

The crews on Qantas domestic flights sound identical to those on the long haul of Air New Zealand. They are extremely unprofessional, the most idle crews I've ever come across. My last long haul with Air New Zealand we had an unbelievable crew - the crew have never carried out safety demonstrations on ANZ flights they have a video for that! The crew were refusing to answer the call buttons. Apart from the "meal" service, no drinks were handed out on board (this was on a flight of ten and a half hours). The crew were more determined to dash off on mass to the rest area and to hell with the passengers.

I shouldn't really go on about Air New Zealand here because mention of them pollutes my SNBA thread. Whilst I could do an honest comparison between SNBA and VLM, I cannot do one between SNBA and Air New Zealand because there simply is no comparison. We had a jumped up, arrogant young steward on my last ANZ flight, and I could quite cheerfully have tipped the "fish" he served up over his stupid head. Contrats this with what I have written about SNBA in the first post of this thread, and then you will see the difference between the way a proper airline treats its passengers and how Air New Zealand treat theirs!
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

The take off from BRU video can be found on this website
[url]http://aircraft_photos1.tripod.com[/url]

This thread has been much more of a success than the return trip report for some unknown reason, so I posted the video link for the return take off on this thread so it might get more attention :lol:
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

The photos keep disappearing from this thread. If anyone wants to see the pics hit this link http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25207 and it leads to the version of this report posted on the "Airliner World" forum. They seem to like the sound of SNBA over on that forum!
Louise

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

Hi Louise,

you gave me an idea ;-)
thanks for joining the video with us - seems that you where lucky and had very fine weather :-)

Jutta.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Hi Jutta - thanks for your comments. I was pleased with the way the video worked out in the end, but it was a shame about the fog in BHX - I was horrified when we got to the airport on the Wednesday morning and saw how foggy it was.

BHX is a very difficult departure lounge to take photos in, it is much easier at MAN (the only way MAN is better for viewing than BHX!) I had kept quiet from everyone about the video because I thought if I cannot get a window seat, or I end up with a front-engine view (happened on my first ever ARJ flight) then I won't get any footage. Luckily we had the back engine view, which is my favourite, and the back row is even better if you get told you have to move like I did :lol:

I would love to see more reports with video in, photos are great but it is nice to see some video of take off and approach/landing if you can get it. I will see what I can do in November (September I will have my larger video camera with me, and that is not suitable for take off and landing footage because I have to put the bag on the floor for take off and landing, and I don't have the right connections to transfer 8mm/VHS to the computer).

My Mum wanted me to get the crew on video, but I was too :oops: !

(And the photos have appeared again!)
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

Sorry for resurrecting this thread after so long, but I thought it was the most appropriate one to place this post.

We fly on SN2038 again in November (and again on a Wednesday) but this time it is "wait and see" for what aircraft we fly on. The SNBA website quotes an A319, the BHX website quotes an ARJ85 and the BA one says "equipment varies". One thing I do hope is that it is not foggy, because I intend to do video of the take off and landing again, just like I did in March.

Only five weeks to go before I am back in BRU and eating in Falstaff once again :fork:

I just hope I have a working camera by then!
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:SN2038 again in November (and again on a Wednesday) but this time it is "wait and see" for what aircraft we fly on.
Wed 3-10-17-24 Nov: A319 (source OAG online, updated daily)

On other days it can indeed be an Avro (85 or 100)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

I would have thought the Airbus was more suited to the evening flight I'll be coming home on, I remember back in March we travelled on the identical evening flight and it was full to capacity and that was an AR100. The morning flight on the AR85 was nowhere near full because there are three morning flights from BHX to BRU. If that is the case in November, it is going to be a very empty Airbus, it would be better for SNBA to schedule a smaller aircraft I would have thought.

The Airbus I went on for flight SN2174 was full, but that flight number was always full, even under Sabena.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Louise,

An airplane flies the inbound and outbound flight. The plane you get from BHX-BRU has flown BRU-BHX just before. If you have an empty A319 on your BHX-BRU flight there was certainly a reason why SN has put the A319 on that flight. And very often that reason is because the other flight (so here the BRU-BHX) is full or nearly full.

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

You are right Chris, I was forgetting that the first BHX-BRU departure is from a night stopper and not a service on the same day. So SN2037 is in fact the first BRU-BHX flight of the day. Sorry :oops:
Louise