Garuda Indonesia: AMS-CGK-AMS

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Flying_Dutchman

Garuda Indonesia: AMS-CGK-AMS

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

I've promised a flight report of my flight with Garuda, so here is my flight report of my last flight to Indonesia, in the summer of 2003:

Airline: Garuda Indonesia
Flight: GA 975
Route AMS-SIN-CGK
A/C: B747-441
Class: Premium Class
Flight time: 15-16 hours, 1 stop in Singapore.

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS)
This was one of my most wonderfull experiences!! I travelled this time Premium Class!!, with my uncle and my cousin. My parents came a few weeks later. I liked it so much because I've never travelled businuss class before. The flight departed around 2:30pm, we arrived at the airport around 11 o'clock. Our check-in was desk 24 in Terminal 3. Due to the attacks of 9/11, the check-in area was only available for passengers. We were not the only one who came so early. In the front of the desks of the econemy class were a lot of passengers, What I noticed was that there were many dutch people. Since Garuda cheaper is than KLM. Our desk for the Premium Class was located between the econemy class desks and the Executive Business class desk. The desks were still closed, but the logo of Garuda Indonesia hung there already. Around 11:30 the check-in went open. So we've checked in and that was done in a few minutes, With Garuda's Premium class, you are allowed to bring 40kg luggage!! And econemy passengers 30kg. That's different with KLM, where only 20kg luggage is allowed in econemy and in business class 30kg. And with Premium class you are allowed to use the Lounge. We walked with my parents, who came too, to wave us, through Schiphol Plaza. Around 1:30pm we decided to go. It was summer, and the queue for the security check looked long, but with 15 minutes, we were through. We walked to the gate, that was G08. We had enough time before boarding. So we ate something by the McDonalds after the pasport /security check, in Lounge 3, and we took a look in the GlobeGround Executive Lounge, what was located above the Holland boulevard, between the E and F pier. The lounge itself was nothing special, it looked very modern and in my opinion like a living room, inclusive a kitchen. After that we walked to the gate. The gate was in the G-pier and to reach that pier, you have to take a long walk through a (I guess) 300m long corridor, along the F-platform. Finally we reached the gate, where the most of the people were waiting for boarding, in the section after a third security check at the gate. So, we passed the security check and waited in the section before boarding the plane. Next to us, on gate G06 stood an EVA Air B747, and accros from our gate, on G09 stood a Martinair B767. The boarding began around 1:50pm. The first one who may boarded the plane were of course the Executive Business class passengers. Then next was the turn for the Premium Class passengers. So we waited in the line and we were able to board the flight.

Onboard
We walked through the gate and we joined the 4 people who waited in front of the entrance. Finally we went onboard, and were friendly greeted by a stewardess: ‘’Selamat Datang’’, that means welcome. The stewardesses looks great, they look like models!!! She inicated our seat, my seat was 14B, that was located in the section between the first two doors. Like KLM Garuda has also a half passengerg and a half kitchen cabin. So on the other hand, you’d a wall and on the other side the widows. My seat was an aisle seat, but later I changed with my cousin, who sat next to me.The seats were blue and there was a great seat pitch. The seat wasn’t able to recline very far. The t.v.’s were located in the armrest, it were small t.v.’s. I had some problems with the footrest, they were difficult to put down. But this is alwys better than econemy class. A blanket and a pillow lay on the seat. A kind of a welcome drink was served by the crew. While waiting at departure, I took a look in the inflight magazine, it looked very poor. Further there were a few questions about the service onboard and at the airport. Also a kind of ‘’Fit for Flying’’ card was in the seat pocket. Like KLM it in the inflight magazine has. So, we departed around 2:45pm. Instead of 2:30pm. But never minds. During taxiing a kind of cartoon with flight safety instructions were shown on the monitors. We taxied to the ‘’Kaagbaan’’ and a really cool thing during take-off was the the outside camera on the plane, so we could follow the take-off via the t.v. screens!!! After take-off, the amenity kits ver handed and a kind of a snack was served. The t.v.’s went on so I was able to watch t.v. But unfortunately the t.v. was from bad quality and there were only a few movies that were shown. For 12h to Singapore!! I listened also to the music channels. A great selection of music, most asian music, but also the famous pop songs were present. There was a small choice of food and not much variation, when it was served, but it was a little bit tastfull. The bread and the drinks were really delicious. I have to say that the crew very and very friendly was. They looked great!! During the flight the stewardess came every time with drinks, when I wanted to sleep, I got an extra pillow! Before the landing, the stewardess checked if we had the seatbelts fastened, the backrest in the upright position and the footrest was put down.
We came in Singapore on-time, I believe and we stood there for around one hour, while the plane were cleaned. After that we continues our flight with new passengers from Singapore to Jakarta. During this flight, a small meal was served, and again poor entertainement. We’ve gotten something to drink, and before I knew we were descending for Jakarta. Landing in Jakarta somewhere in the early aftermoon. We were taxiing to gate E03.

Jakarta Soekarno Hatta int. Airport (CGK)
We went from board as almost the first ones.I had the impression that the airport looked better than the year before, when I was flying with KLM. But the crowd of people were as the same.
We went direct to the security. The security was quicker than the last time when I was there. After so 30min we arrived in the luggage hall where we picked up our luggage and we continued to the customs. We were checked again, same as last year. It looked like they pick only the people from Amsterdam. After some 45 minutes we stood in the arrivals hall, where stood again a crowd of smoking people. Thee were a lot of poor people who tries to sell you something. But I’ve learnt, do not buy or give something, otherwise the whole community want it too. Between the crowd my causin and I saw our aunt who was waiting there with her son, who bought us to their home.

Conclusion
Garuda is not of a standard of KLM, but it’s average. This was my first time a flew business class, so I expected more of a business class, but was happy with this service, except the entertainement. The flight attendants are really nice! If you want a good service by the crew and for a cheap price, FLY GARUDA!!

Garuda Indonesia Premium Class
Check-in staff: 8
Cabin crew: 9
Seating: 7,5 (not as much comfortable)
Cleanliness: 8
Catering: 6
On-time performance: 7,5
Inflight entertainment:
-Music: 7
-video: 5
-average: 6
Magazine: 5
Lounge AMS: 7

I hope you've enjoy this flight report. ;)

I had made pictures of the plane and cabin with the video camera of my uncle, but I was forgot where they are. If I find them I will post it.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Great report, Flying_Dutchman. Thanks a lot!

Garuda is indeed not at KLM standard, nor at most Asian airlines standard.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flying_Dutchman

sn26567 wrote:Great report, Flying_Dutchman. Thanks a lot!

Garuda is indeed not at KLM standard, nor at most Asian airlines standard.
You've right, but the service and hospitality by the crew is great :!: ;)

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this very nice report Flying_Dutchman :)

Chris
8)

flightsimboy

Post by flightsimboy »

Flying Dutchman...A great report..Very well laid out :D
Selamat Datang...that was on MH too. :wink:

Flying_Dutchman

thanks for the compliments! :)
Soon, the return flight will be post. ;)