SAA (South African Airways) Flight from JHB to Dar es Salaam

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!

Do you think I'm paranoid?

Total votes: 0

crikeymoses

SAA (South African Airways) Flight from JHB to Dar es Salaam

Post by crikeymoses »

Let me start off by introducing myself. I am someone who regularly flies due to the nature of my job. However I have a fear of flying. My fear is that the plane will crash due to a human error. Nevertheless my flight from Johannesburg to Dar es Salaam, Boeing 737-800 (3 and a half hours) were good ones. The South African Airways pilots always land smoothly. I've never experienced a problem with them. But on a Kenyan Airways flights I find that we rock from left to right each time we land. Why is this? Is this an indication that Kenyan Airways is a dangerous airline? When this happens does it mean that the pilot does not know how to land properly?

My second question is what would happen if both engines of a Boeing 737-800 were to switch off if in flight? Is it possible to glide that thing?

3rd question: We we are getting ready to take off why does the plastic interior creak in the boeing 737?

4th question: If you as a pilot know that something is wrong with the plane will you still take off? even if it's a minor minor fault?

please excuse me if these questions are not appropriate but I need to know.

thanks

Hasjie

Post by Hasjie »

I have a fear of flying. My fear is that the plane will crash
I HAD the same problem but now i think i got over it 8)
It are probably the pills ( "touristil" ).
Im sorry but i don't know the answer at your questions but i'm sure that someone else will know the answer!!

crikeymoses

Post by crikeymoses »

thanks

I should check out the pills.

hopefully somebody else on these forums can give answers to my questions.

thanks!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Crikeymoses,

Welcome to Luchtzak. You are not paranoid, just asking the right questions. Hopefully all your questions will be answered soon.

1) All pilots, whether from SAA/SAL, Kenya Airways, Air France or SN Brussels Airlines have undergone a long and serious training on how to fly a plane properly. Do not fear. Maybe you have a prejudice against pilots who are not from your own country and that makes you feel that they are not up to your own standards. It is probably a misperception.

2) Both engines of a 738 simultaneously off? Very unlikely. Even if it happened, the plane will somehow "glide" and land (although not too smoothly) at an airport that is not too far away or on any level surface...

3) Plastic and metal have different coefficients of thermal expansion (the difference is a factor of 10). No wonder that it makes some noise when the temperature changes.

4) I am not a pilot. But a pilot knows when the problem is bad enough to keep the plane on the ground. He will never endanger you (or himself! after all, he is his first passenger...).

I remember a flight on an AA 767 between ORD and SFO. The thrust reverser did not function at the check before take-off. The pilot waited for a replacement which never came, as it was not available at ORD. But he also knew that the runway at SFO was long enough. He thus departed and eventually made a smooth landing, and I never had any fear.

Hope this helps!

Fear of flying can be overcome. Some airlines even provide courses about it (I am not sure about SAA/SAL).
Last edited by sn26567 on 31 Mar 2004, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

crikeymoses

Post by crikeymoses »

thanks for your answers. I appreciate it!

Jense

Post by Jense »

crikeymoses wrote:thanks for your answers. I appreciate it!
It's just the beginning :wink:
Anyway, welcome @ Luchtzak.be, enjoy this wonderfull aviation-site :!:

greettzzz

A318

Post by A318 »

crikeymoses, welcome and let me say you one thing:
A pilot has also wife, family and kids and wants to come home as safe as you want to come home. No captain will take-off with a plane that is not safe or he is not sure about. Everything is done by the book. All pilots and co-pilots receive line checks, medical checks, sim sessions etc etc exactly by a scheme made by the aviation authorities. Last but not least, your car drive to the aiport is 1000 times more dangerous then your flight after it, hopes this will help you a little coming over your fear!

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Fpr sure the a 737 can glide to an airport when both engines fail.

Some years ago there was a 767 that run out of fuel while in fuel flights due to a mistake of the fuelling company (don't wan't to make you afraid.).

THis 767 was gliding for about 1,5 hour and landed safetly at an airport that was around.

Best Regards,
Yvo

Avro

Post by Avro »

First of all I'd like to welcome you on Luchtzak crikeymoses :P

Now to your questions:
But on a Kenyan Airways flights I find that we rock from left to right each time we land. Why is this? Is this an indication that Kenyan Airways is a dangerous airline? When this happens does it mean that the pilot does not know how to land properly?
Maybe you didn't flew in the same weather conditions. There was maybe a litlle bit of wind when you landed with the Kenya Airways plane :idea: I don't think that this should mean that the pilots don't know how to land !!!
what would happen if both engines of a Boeing 737-800 were to switch off if in flight? Is it possible to glide that thing?
As allready told, it is very unlikely that both engines fail !!! the reliability of the CFM's on the B737's are VERY good. I don't know the real figures anymore but it must be something like 99.9% or something like that. And don't forget that pilots are trained to face situations where both engines fail !!!
we are getting ready to take off why does the plastic interior creak in the boeing 737?
Don't worry that's only the interior it's a normal sound which isn't very important. The plane will still stay in one piece ;)
If you as a pilot know that something is wrong with the plane will you still take off? even if it's a minor minor fault?
Can't answer you this question since I'm not a pilot ;) but I'm sure the pilot won't take off if he/she thinks the plane isn't safe. Don't forget that the pilot doesn't want to die in an accident !!!

If you want to know more about thechnical features of the B737 you can always check out the following link: http://www.b737.org.uk/

Kind Regards
Chris
8)

crikeymoses

Post by crikeymoses »

thanks so much for these replies. You've really helped me put things into perspective. I love flying but my mind can have an overactive imagination.

I will check out that b737 link, it's probably my favourite plane to travel in (for short distances), although the airbus A340-200 is a damn smooth ride (but only flown with that once).

2 MORE QUESTIONS

1. Why is it that whenever we land the air hostesses ask us to keep the window slats open?

2. Is it okay for people (I've only witnessed this once within the plane) to take photos with their digital camera during the landing process?

thanks again

btw there's a lot of information on this site to divulge so this is not going to be the last you'll hear from me.

[/b]

Flying_Dutchman

Post by Flying_Dutchman »

crikeymoses wrote:1. Why is it that whenever we land the air hostesses ask us to keep the window slats open?[/b]
That never happened to me, but I guess it has to deal with that they can keep an ey on the exterior (the wing), or just in an event of an evacuation it's safer due to more light in the cabin. but these are my thougts. maybe it's happen for another reason. ;)

crikeymoses

Post by crikeymoses »

For as long as I can remember South African Airways always ask that the window slats are open when landing.
or just in an event of an evacuation it's safer due to more light in the cabin
That is exactly what I was thinking... :wink:

Avro

Post by Avro »

crikeymoses,
1. Why is it that whenever we land the air hostesses ask us to keep the window slats open?

That's another security measure. With the blinds being open, people will get "familiar" to the environment outside the plane. They won't be lost and disoriented IF they have to disembark during an emergency. Since people are not so disoriented they will disembak the plane more quickly and in a more efficient way.
During the night the cabin lights are turned off, to be sure that the human eye will get used to the darkness. In case of an emergency people will again be able to disembark more quickly.
2. Is it okay for people (I've only witnessed this once within the plane) to take photos with their digital camera during the landing process?
Personally I think that there is no danger at all with digital cameras or videocameras. They don't send Electromagnetic waves (like the phone does) and so couldn't interfere with the navigation system.

BTW I'm not an expert so don't shoot me if I'm wrong ;)

Greetings
Chris
8)