LHR-LCA On CY

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

LHR-LCA On CY

Post by Comet »

This is a report about a flight between London Heathrow and Larnaca with Cyprus Airways. Larnaca is the main international gateway airport for Cyprus. The flight took place when I was only seven years old.

On the morning that we arrived at Heathrow for our flight to Cyprus, we discovered that the air traffic controllers had walked out on strike, so this was not a very happy start to our holiday that summer :cry: We were delayed for several hours, which we spent pushing the trolley around the terminal and looking in the shops (my Mum pushed the trolley and I rode on it :lol: )

Eventually, the controllers went back to their screens and we were able to check in for our flight. I was really looking forward to it, as I had flown several times before and enjoyed the experience, though I did not know all the varieties of aircraft at that time.

We were to fly on a Boeing 707 (my third flight in the type), which served with CY for many years before being replaced by Airbus aircraft.

A Boeing 707 of Cyprus Airways at Heathrow.

We were several hours late taking off because of the strike, but we had a good take off and climb away. The weather on the route was very good and clear. One thing which sticks in my mind is flying over the Alps and having an excellent view of those snow capped peaks. That was the beauty of flying to Cyprus - it was nearly all over land, and it clear daylight it was a real treat.

It began to get dark on the way, and when we began our descent into Larnaca it was totally dark. We had a very skilful pilot on that flight - there was no "touchdown" sensation on landing, the aircraft made very smooth contact, and we did not know that we had arrived in Cyprus until we saw the airport buildings as the aircraft taxied away from the runway. That was the best landing we have ever had, and I doubt we will have one to better it :lol:

We had a very good ten day holiday - weather hot, food nice and sunburn wicked (and painful).
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I hope my flight from AMS to LCA in july on CY will be as good as this one!

P.S.: In wich year did you make this flight?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sab319 wrote:P.S.: In wich year did you make this flight?
He he! Trying to know Louise's age :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good try there sab319. As I said, it is considered impolite to ask a lady her age. I will not tell you directly, I have only ever told two people on this forum (and one of those has seen me in person anyway :lol: ) VC10 also knows of course, so that is three.

Back to the flight. After I had posted the report, VC10 read it and reminded me of two things that I had forgotten. While we were flying over the Alps, we saw a aircraft on a lower flight level going in the opposite direction below us. The other one is (you will like this sab319, if I remember your previous signature correctly :lol: ) a boy behind us was being airsick for a large part of the flight. It must have been awful for him, and it wasn't very pleasant for anyone else, but the Cyprus Airways staff were very pleasant and helpful towards him.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
Good try there sab319
sab319, you can still make a guess by finding out when the 707 was retired from Cyprus Airways :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Andries

Post by Andries »

The last 707 of cyprus airways was retired in 1988.

Greetz,

:twisted: CanonFreak :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

So if my math is correct Louise can't be less than 22/3 years old :wink:

ciao,
TriStar :twisted:

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Comet is born in 1970 OR 1982, so it's impossible that she was 7 years in 1988 if she was born in 1982. So we can conclude from that that she is Born in 1970 and is 33 years old now, soon it will be 34 years!

AM I correct Comet?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sab319 wrote:Comet is born in 1970 OR 1982
Why not 1958? Cyprus Airways already flew a 707 in 1965 :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Well Andre - I couldn't really have flown by 707 in 1965 because I wasn't even born then :lol: When I was five I had my first flight in a 747, and by that time they had already been in service for several years (the actual one I flew in was G-BBPU of BA :lol: )

For any film buffs on here, there is a very big clue on the city guide to New York. Just look at the billboards in the backgrounds of the photos and you will see one well known film name. I was five years old when I made that trip :lol:
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

It's funny to see how everybody goes :offtopic: ;)

Anyway, thanks for the trip report Louise :)

Greetz
Chris

PS: I won't ask your age don't worry ;)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Avro. I can't believe how :offtopic: this thread has become, but it is a laugh :lol:

I only wrote a report of the outward flight because I don't remember anything of the return flight, at all :oops: I will probably feature Cyprus from my own point of view in City Guide sometime later.
Louise