BRU-CHQ on CTB in 2001

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

BRU-CHQ on CTB in 2001

Post by sab319 »

When we went to crete in the summer of 2001 it was like I would fly for the very first time. I had flown once before when I was 5 years old but I didn’t remember much about (only that the food was very bad). So I was very excited.

The morning when we departed we had to get up at 3 o’clock in the morning because the flight left Brussels at 5:55. We where brought to the airport by an airport service provided by the travelagency. We where very fast at the airport and where able to check in as one of the first. At that point it seemed that my parents had a special surprise because they had booked Premium Flamingo Class. So we had a separate check-in desk, we where given twice 2 seats a window and another seat. After check-in we went to the Sunsnacks desk to collect our free bag and beachball. Because there weren’t any sunsnacks bags we got a Neckermann bag.

Then we continoued to the C-pier. Because it was very early there wasn’t much to see after 2hours we could board, boarding was in the pier and not in the satellite, so it wheren’t the best seats to wait. Because we where seated in the front of the AC we had to board as last people. But my sister had to go to the toilet urgently so we nearly missed our flight. When we finally boarded the aircraft we saw that other people had taken our seats. And when we went complaining against the (rude) (Walloon) staff they basically said that we had to board the aircraft earlier and so we had to sit all on different aisle seats. At all these bad things there was one positive thing it was a brand new B738 called “seagull” with Darkgreen leather seats.

During the flight we where served a breakfast with hot eggs and a coke. After a flight of 3 hours we started descend to the airport. I think that the aircraft approached the runway way to fast because after a hard touchdown it had to brake that hard that my head bumped into the seat in front of me. I was very happy when I left the plane as first.

After a terrible week of holiday (I was very sick because the food was not good), we where picked up by the bus to bring us to the airport. Check-in went very smoothly, but when we reached the gates area we couldn’t see any aircraft because it had no windows at the airside. In the area itself wasn’t much to see either a stand that sold bread and a small shop was all.

I was very happy when we could board, this time it was the “Nightingale” again a B738.
When we boarded the AC I was one of the first so finally I would get a window seat. It was a very smooth take-off and this time we had at least a friendly (Flemish) crew. We where served a salad and a cake (the food was of a high quality, but not really my taste) and I chose a coke for drink. We had very stable flight on a clear day (I could see all swiss valleys under us). After 3h we started decent for a 25L approach. After a smooth touchdown we taxied to the satellite where we could disembark, the planes next flight was supposed to be to PMI.

Even dough the first flight wasn’t that good the second flight made it up. So when CTB went bankrupt later that year a found it a real pity.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report, sab319. Reminds me of my last flifht with CityBird, to the Dominican Republic, in February 2001.

However, your report makes people believe that Walloon staff are rude and Flemish ones are friendly. Don't generalise. I had Walloon staff on both flights, and very friendly in both cases. We even had a crew staying at the same hotel as us (Iberostar Costa Dorada at Puerto Plata), and we made an excursion with one of the stewardesses to see whales: a good opportunity to better know the crew! Afterwards she was super with us on the return flight, like good old friends.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

sn26567 wrote:Thanks for nice report, sab319. Reminds me of my last flifht with CityBird, to the Dominican Republic, in February 2001.

However, your report makes people believe that Walloon staff are rude and Flemish ones are friendly. Don't generalise. I had Walloon staff on both flights, and very friendly in both cases. We even had a crew staying at the same hotel as us (Iberostar Costa Dorada at Puerto Plata), and we made an excursion with one of the stewardesses to see whales: a good opportunity to better know the crew! Afterwards she was super with us on the return flight, like good old friends.
It was never my intention to say that wallon staff is rude and flemish not, so I'm very sorry if that is what you think I said!
They say that IB staff is very rude and I flew on them and I have to say that thats not true, so it's all a bit of perception I think.

Avro

Post by Avro »

Very nice report, thx Sabe319 :)

Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

sab319 - great report. Your flight reports are always worth reading, keep posting them :mrgreen:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise