BRU-FRA (Y) - FRA-BRU (C) on LH (23 Feb 04)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-FRA (Y) - FRA-BRU (C) on LH (23 Feb 04)

Post by sn26567 »

I could have made a Copy & Paste of my previous report, but it was not.

On 23 February, I was again travelling to one of my favourite destinations: Frankfurt. The choice of the airline was easy: only Lufthansa flies there. The price was less funny: still an outrageous €686.68 for a non-flexible (remember this!) economy return. The outbound flight was LH 4571, dep. 8:20, flown by an A319-100 reg. D-AILL "Marburg".
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/481632/M/

I chose seat 14F (window) at the automatic check-in machine (on an SN flight, it would have been 13F, but on LH there is no row 13, nor 17, I don't know why). At the same time, I coud book seat 23F for the return flight.

Boarding was on time, but we had to wait for a landing slot at crowded FRA airport, so the pushback occurred only at 8:45. Meanwhile I had the opportunity to watch the boarding and departure of Air Plus Comet A310 reg. EC-IPT to a sunny destination with a load of ex-SLR passengers.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/507242/M/

After take-off from 25R under a clear sky, the plane turned left to head East and I could see my house as a minuscule dot in the distance, close to te Lake of Genval.

Announcements were made in german and English. In addition, there were taped safety announcements in French and Dutch. Service started soon thereafter, with 2 stewardesses in C (7 rows of 5, LF 50%) and 2 other ones in Y (the remaining 11 rows of 6, LF 95%). I had a nice 4-layered cheese sandwich (you cold also have ham), an oragne juice and coffee. For a change, the stewardesses were friendly and smiling (ever seen a smile on an LH face? Well, it happened to me!).

Landing was 20 minutes late. As I had a very tight schedule, I was 15 minutes late at my meeting. In order to save time, I took the 1st available train to the city, which was bot the S-Bahn for which I had a ticket, but an IC train. On board, I had to pay a €5.40 supplement on a €3.40 ticket!!!!

My meeting was shorter than expected. I had booked the LH 4588 at 18:15 (a B737-300). I was at the airport at 15:45, in time to catch LH 5874 at 16:30 (an Avro RJ100), but no thanks: never again an Avro with 6 seats abreast. I chose LH 4586 at 17:15, another B737-300. Strange LH price policy: since I had a non-flexible ticket, I had to upgrade to business class to be allowed to change, and this cost me only €17.00!!! Nice surprise.

We were bussed to the plane, D-A... "Rothenburg o.d. Tauber".
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/342189/M/

Meanwhile, I had the opportunity to spot the Spanair A320 in Star Alliance colours EC-ILH.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/496263/M/

The flight took off some 20 minutes late, as it had to be de-iced. It had snowed a little, but I saw no ice on the wings. Probably a safety measure. Load factor was 20% in C class (8 pax for 8 rows of 5), and 50% in Y class. Service was spotless. This time one of the 4 stewardesses spoke French and announcement were made in German, English and French, with a tape for the Dutch safety annoucement.

The meal consisted of a selection of cold meat and cheese cuts with vegetables and salad and a hot roll of bread. I selected red wine and water to drink with it.

Arrival in Brussels was 15 minutes late, and I had the opportunity to see the first plane of BelgiumExel, ready for ots first departure the next morning. I could not read the registration, but the new logo was clearly visible. The plane was all white, with a navy blue tail with the letters AE in white. AE ???

Altogether, a nice couple of flights.
Last edited by sn26567 on 24 Feb 2004, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Great report Andre, and the photos look good.

LH are not a cheap airline though, compared to other carriers.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Jense

Post by Jense »

André,

Many thanks for your very nice flight report... I will fly Lufthansa on the 2nd April and the 16th April... BRU-FRA-DEN and DEN-FRA-BRU...
There is another topic started about Belgium Exell's plane: https://www.aviation24.be/postt3618.html

greettzzz
Last edited by Jense on 24 Feb 2004, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Fantastic report, André!

Are you kidding that you paid +€600 for a non-restrictive ticket?

I'm sure that for a few Euro's more, you could have booked a flexible ticket...

Did you experience their new C-class seats on the B733, or did the aircraft still have the old lay-out?

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Did you experience their new C-class seats on the B733, or did the aircraft still have the old lay-out?
It was the layout I have known for years, with 6 Recaro seats that can be modified to make them 5 abreast (2-3). I was on the left side on seat 7A with 2 seats separated by two armrests and a small space between them.
André
ex Sabena #26567

vflies

Re: BRU-FRA (Y) - FRA-BRU (C) on LH (23 Feb 04)

Post by vflies »

Very nice report, André! :-)
Sounds like a bad day to me ;-)
What I'll remember most is that none of your flights made it on time! :roll:
sn26567 wrote:For a change, the stewardesses were friendly and smiling (ever seen a smile on an LH face? Well, it happened to me!).
LOL Never happened to me indeed. One of the reasons why I avoid LH and their terrible T1 at FRA...

Thanks for an interesting report.

VFlies

Jense

Post by Jense »

vflies wrote:Very nice report, André! :-)
Sounds like a bad day to me ;-)
What I'll remember most is that none of your flights made it on time! :roll:
sn26567 wrote:For a change, the stewardesses were friendly and smiling (ever seen a smile on an LH face? Well, it happened to me!).
LOL Never happened to me indeed. One of the reasons why I avoid LH and their terrible T1 at FRA...
I'm going a little bit :offtopic: now, but: what's wrong with T1 @ FRA?
(Just a question...)

greettzzz

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Jense wrote:[what's wrong with T1 @ FRA?
(Just a question...)
Long long walks. If you are unfortunate enough to arrive or depart at gate A40, you have 2 km to walk...
André
ex Sabena #26567

vflies

Post by vflies »

Hey you just became a 330, Jense!
Congratulations are in order! :-)

IMO, T1 is just old, dark and far from being easy and practical (f.i. lounges are just too far from the gates, check in and safety checks not streamlined...)
T2 on the other hand is nice and bright but once again, badly built : too long, it just takes forever to get anywhere...

Worse of all in my experience is that German staff (ground or crews) are rarely nice. Just polite...
I once flew to Shanghai first class with LH and during the entire flight, the FA addressed me first in German, every single time!
That just sums it up for me...

VFlies

Jense

Post by Jense »

That sounds not so good to me... :? :( I hope my flights are better, otherwise I will never again fly LH... 2 km to walk is really much :? :? Wait and see...
btw: thx for the congratulations, vflies... :D

greettzzz

A318

Post by A318 »

Andre, for €600,- I guess you were carried by stewardesses to the aircraft right? ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this great report André :)
It wasn't cheap indeed, but at least you wre able to fly C class for one leg ;)
After take-off from 25R under a clear sky, the plane turned left to head East and I could see my house as a minuscule dot in the distance, close to te Lake of Genval.
If you could see your house from seat 13F (oops 14F ;) ) than you flew right over my house :lol:

Greetz
Chris
8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Avro wrote:If you could see your house from seat 13F (oops 14F ;) ) than you flew right over my house
If you tell me where it is, I'll look next time ;-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

If you think flying LH to FRA is expensive. You can always take the ICE-train, it takes about 3 hourss and it doesn't cost that much. some price examples: 1 st class bvasic price: €125,00 (one way)
1st class sparpreis25:€ 190,40 (return) and sparpreis 50:€128,80 (return)
In 1st class you get a business class seat in leather a PTV and plugs with 220v

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Great report Andre!! Now waiting to read about your flights to and from MAN today!!!
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sab319 wrote:You can always take the ICE-train, it takes about 3 hourss and it doesn't cost that much. some price examples: 1 st class bvasic price: €125,00 (one way)
I know. I checked already, but there are only 3 ICE trains a day. And I would have to get up much earlier: dep. 6:00 at the Brussels Midi station.

The train takes 3 hrs 45 min...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

sn26567 wrote:
sab319 wrote:You can always take the ICE-train, it takes about 3 hourss and it doesn't cost that much. some price examples: 1 st class bvasic price: €125,00 (one way)
I know. I checked already, but there are only 3 ICE trains a day. And I would have to get up much earlier: dep. 6:00 at the Brussels Midi station.

The train takes 3 hrs 45 min...

I know, but I said it was if you think paying €600 is a bit too much. I think it's a good alternative and you can catch the train from Liege too!