From Dublin to Charleroi with German and Portuguese touches

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
OO-SBZ

From Dublin to Charleroi with German and Portuguese touches

Post by OO-SBZ »

As promised in a previous topic, here is the second (and last part) of the report on my last but one flight of 2003.

After a pleasant short stay in Dublin I had to fly back home.
At Dublin Airport we had no problem finding a parking space since we had used the reliable, inexpensive and comfortable ‘Airlink’ service provided by Dublin Bus.

Check-in procedures for the last flight from Dublin to Charleroi began two hours before departure time and we got our usual ‘priority cards’.

The security controls were fast, efficient and the staff really helpful. Since we were early at the airport we could spend some time window-shopping and buying the last Irish articles.

In Dublin, Ryanair uses a particular terminal, located away from the other gates. In fact, the circular ‘terminal’ looks like the former ‘A’ gates you had in Brussels in 1997-98.

On the apron I could spot several interesting birds. I got the impression the Irish budget carrier was displaying some of its famous flying billboards. Unfortunately it was around 6pm and at that time of the year, it is already pitch dark. Anyway, in the night I could see the Hertz, Jaguar and Kilkeny planes.

Image Image
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/382633/M/ http://www.airliners.net/open.file/190741/M/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/480724/M/

I asked my parents to help and join me in my ‘keep our fingers crossed’ action to get one of these special birds for our inward journey but it did not do the job. In my opinion, the cyber-requests to ‘Dear Mr Ryanair’ are much more effective.

As a result, the Hertz-logo jet carried passengers to Birmingham and we had to wait for the passengers from Charleroi to disembark EI-COA before boarding our flight to Charleroi.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/504609/M/

In my previous report, I referred to a sense of confusion when you board a former Britannia 732 but EI-COA is even more confusing. Let us turn back to the history of the bird to get a better understanding of its condition.

C/N 22637-848 started its carreer in 03/1982 with both German flag- and charter-carrier Lufthansa and Condor.

In the mid eighies in a bare-metal dress
Image Image

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/289438/M/ http://www.airliners.net/open.file/396955/M/
Lufthansa metal scheme with a Sabena colleague behind ;-)

From the German life of the Boeing, there are still some signs in German but some of them have been re-labelled during its lease of life with TAP-Air Portugal (as CS-TCS) A result, you get either ‘No smoking’ or ‘Nicht rauchen’ or the Portuguese translation...

In 1997 it was Ryanair’s Christmas plane before getting its present livery.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/499487/M/

Thanks to our priority cards, we were amongst the first to board the plane and could get the seats with a generous pitch (see my previous report). Moreover the load factor was about 70-75% on this Monday evening. The plane was not as clean as on the outward journey...

That time we got tapped safety lectures in English, French and “Dutch” (or the Ryanair variation of this language)…

The flight was even as bumpy as the previous and I asked one of the stewardesses if she could give me our route… and she reluctantly supplied me with this information: Dublin – Liverpool – London – Oostende – Charleroi. However I don’t reportedly look like a highjacker… but I look a bit like a younger brother of EasyJet’s Stelios ;-)

We circled for a long time before landing very smoothly in Charleroi… ‘5 minutes ahead of schedule’ as Ryanair always likes to point out.

We got the luggage rather quickly but had to wait a long time for the shuttle-bus to the ‘long-distance-stay-park’ facilities. The last leg of my journey home was somewhat delayed due to a dead battery… because we had forgotten the courtesy light… Damned bad-lit parking space @ CRL!

I hope you enjoyed the report as much as I enjoyed my stay in Dublin...

And don't forget to check the courtesy light of you car before leaving it... This can save you time and €€€s :wink:

Regards

BeN :idea:

A318

Post by A318 »

The German one, I reacted a little earlier on your 1st part of the report ;)
Thanks again for part 2!

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Thanks a lot for your interesting and very well illustrated report :!:
Apparently you got lucky to get two 732. Or do they put them on the low LF routes :?:

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

L-1011 wrote:Thanks a lot for your interesting and very well illustrated report :!:
Apparently you got lucky to get two 732. Or do they put them on the low LF routes :?:

ciao,
TriStar :wink:
Thanks for your kind words.

From my Ryanair experience the CRL services to Dublin are always operated by 732s but this will probably change as more and more 732s are phased out and replaced by brand new 738s.

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Very nice trip report Ben!

I really liked the style, with a nice touch of humor from time to time...

It seems like you had ok flights... This summer I was on board of EI-CNT (the Vodafone logojet), also ex-LH, and I noticed also that 50% of the signs in the aircraft were German!

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Good report Ben. Loved the addition of photos, especially the Kilkenny plane! Good to see it again, I filmed that aircraft on my very first video shoot at Manchester airport, but I haven't seen it since.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Thanks for your kind words :lol:

Both flights were ok but the interior of those planes needs refurbishing but will not get it since they are to be phased out...

EI-CJG Boeing B737-204 22058 / 629 Fr disp by Mar 04
EI-COA Boeing B737-230 22637 / 848 Fr disp by Mar 05

Regards

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks again for this great trip report 8)
Last edited by Avro on 21 Feb 2004, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Great trip report!! Too bad for your dead battery ;-)

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

luchtzak wrote:Great trip report!! Too bad for your dead battery ;-)
Indeed... but there was still a small sparkle of life in it and it came back to life thanks to some extra power... provided by a stronger battery Image