CRL-Dublin with a touch of Britannia (FR 43 - 13/12/2003)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
OO-SBZ

CRL-Dublin with a touch of Britannia (FR 43 - 13/12/2003)

Post by OO-SBZ »

After some delay here is the first part of the report on my last but one flight for 2003...

As usual I arrived at Charleroi-Airport (aka 'Brussels South' or 'Ryanairport') very early. On that cold and rainy Saturday morning all the parkings close to the terminal-building were full. As a result I had to head for the 'long-term' parking. In fact it is located at the other end of the runway, where BSCA will build the new terminal. Calling this muddy, bad-lit and unsignalled place a 'parking' is a real joke! Moreover there are no facilities over there.

After a rather unconfortable shuttle-bus ride we could proceed to check-in and got our boarding-cards. Luckily enough we managed to get 'priority cards'. As a reminder they give early check-iners ( :wink: ) the right to board the plane after the children and older people... and before the other passengers.

On the apron I could spot Boeing 737-8AS EI-DAD. The bird was waiting for its last passengers before taking off to Bergamo.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/472847/M/

At the right side of the apron I could spot a Boeing 737-200... and hoped to get this bird for my journey to Dublin...
After the pre-boarding call for flight FR 43 I could clearly spot EI-CJG.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/439514/M/

When you enter the 23-year-old Boeing there is a sense of confusion: classical Ryanair seats but unusual TV screens.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/384990/M/

In fact, EI-CJG #22058/629 was delivered to British charter carrier Britannia in 1980 as G-BGYK 'R.J. Mitchell'
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/333630/M/

Thanks to my previous FR 732 experiences I could easily find the best seats of the type: the exit-row offers a generous pitch and there are just two seats on that row, which provides the next row's window-seats with a huge pitch.

After the usual and dull Ryanair security-features lecture (in English only!) the plane was moved to the runway.

Before taking off we had to wait some time and could see they were moving the flaps up and down. A few days before a Ryanair 732 had experienced problems with the flaps...

We got a smooth take-off and very quickly a 'welcome from the flightdeck' (in their own words!) plus some information on our route (something you don't often get with FR though): CRL-Brussels-Oostende-London-Liverpool-Dublin.

Load factor was about 85%, the plane was clean but the seats are getting rather old and unconfortable...

Image Image
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/317571/M/
cockpit of EI-CJG
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/317572/M/
Dublin appproach

The flight was rather bumpy and we were often asked to fasten our seat-belts. Some passengers seemed unused to flying and were rather bleak. As far as I am concerned, I like bumpy flights: you feel the plane lives :twisted:

During the approach I could clearly see the Marina of Malahide.

The landing was rather smooth in spite of rather strong winds and we arrived '10 minutes ahead of schedule'.

Regards

BeN :idea:

Jense

Post by Jense »

Very nice report, Ben!
I wish all flight-reports were like this...

greettzzz

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for this very nice report on Ryanair.

The B737-200 is indeed a very nice litlle plane :P

Ciao
Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Fascinating report Ben. I loved the addition of the flightdeck photo!

The approach into Dublin is also fun flown on the BAe 146, when we flew that route last year with EI the approach involved alot of sharp turns at relatively low level. A bit like London City really.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Thanks for you reoprt Ben
Loved reading it.

Best Regards,
Yvo

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Thanks for all your kind words :oops:
:wink: Bob

Note to 'Mr Ryanair': as Bob points out I am flying to Bergamo on Wednesday (FR 4522)... and think I deserve, at least, a brand new 738 with nice comfortable reclinable leather seats, three toilets, blinds, engines and, last but not least, skilled pilots. Moreover a 1:100 scale model of your latest 738 would be highly appreciated to reward my 10th return flight on Ryanair.

A318

Post by A318 »

Nice report Ben, I did the same leg also on a 732, had a lot of nostalgic fun :)
I remember text in the plane was in German, probably an old LH aircraft.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

A318 wrote:Nice report Ben, I did the same leg also on a 732, had a lot of nostalgic fun :)
I remember text in the plane was in German, probably an old LH aircraft.

Greetz,

Erwin
For sure, it was a former LH :wink:

Regards

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Thanks a lot for your nice trip report Ben!

FR reports ere always a little bit shorter than for other companies, because the food part is skipped :evil: :wink:

Have a nice flight to Bergamo on Tuesday (on a 738 with nice leather reclining seats, blinds, three functional lavatories, and a very friendly crew) :wink:

ciao,
TriStar :D

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

L-1011 wrote:Thanks a lot for your nice trip report Ben!

FR reports ere always a little bit shorter than for other companies, because the food part is skipped :evil: :wink:

Have a nice flight to Bergamo on Tuesday (on a 738 with nice leather reclining seats, blinds, three functional lavatories, and a very friendly crew) :wink:

ciao,
TriStar :D
In fact, I had home made breakfast (yogurt, apple, biscuits and 'Perrier' lemon flavoured sparkling water).
When I am charged less than €130 for three returns tickets to Dublin I don't complain -too much- if I have to bring some food.

Regards

Note to 'Mr Ryanair' : my flight is on Wednesday... :twisted:

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

LOL Bobclaes! :mrgreen:

Ben, again a very nice report!

Out of curiosity: does the emergency exit of the B732 have a window seat? I was surprised when I heard that the emergency exit seats on the B777/A321 had no window... I would prefer a cramped window seat over the emergency exit without a window...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Re: CRL-Dublin with a touch of Britannia (FR 43 - 13/12/2003

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks again for nice report, OO-SBenZ
OO-SBZ wrote:After the usual and dull Ryanair security-features lecture (in English only!)...
I thought that Ryanair had some Belgian crew on flights from CRL. What nationality was your crew? Irish?
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Sabena_690 wrote:LOL Bobclaes! :mrgreen:

Ben, again a very nice report!

Out of curiosity: does the emergency exit of the B732 have a window seat? I was surprised when I heard that the emergency exit seats on the B777/A321 had no window... I would prefer a cramped window seat over the emergency exit without a window...

Frederic
The emergency exit of the 732 is fitted with a normal-size window but on the row of the exit there are two seats instead of three. As a result there is a huge 'void' in front of the exit... and the window-seat of the next row gets a extremely generous pitch...

As words could not be enough to describe it, here is a home-made cabin layout (I'm sure Ryanair would appreciate it!)

-O-O-X-O-O
-D-D----D-D
-D-D-D-D-D
-D-D-D-D-D

O : window
X : emergency exit (with window)
D : seat
- : void

Regards

OO-SBZ

Re: CRL-Dublin with a touch of Britannia (FR 43 - 13/12/2003

Post by OO-SBZ »

sn26567 wrote: I thought that Ryanair had some Belgian crew on flights from CRL. What nationality was your crew? Irish?
Andre,

Ryanair does indeed sometimes have Belgian crews on routes operated by a CRL-based 738.

On each of my 4 Dublin flights, I had -friendly- Irish crews. From my Ryanair experience, Irish crew-members are usually friendly, British crew-members not always smiling but helpful whereas the Spanish ones treat the passengers like kindergarten-children and their English needs brushing up :wink:

If we take a look at the 'winter' timetable, we find this allocation:

Routes operated by a CRL-based 738
:arrow: Barcelona-Girona
:arrow: Carcassonne
:arrow: London-Stansted (FR 1011/1012 + FR1017/1016 + FR1019/1018)
:arrow: Pisa
:arrow: Rome-CIA
:arrow: Shannon
:arrow: Venice-Treviso
:arrow: Valladolid

Routes operated by other bases
:arrow: Dublin (DUB-based, usually 732)
:arrow: Glasgow-Prestwick (PIK-based 732/738?)
:arrow: London-Stansted (FR 1013/1014, STN-based, usually 738)
:arrow: Milan-Bergamo (BGY-based 738)
:arrow: Stockholm

Regards

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks for the drawing Ben! :mrgreen:

Frederic

Avro

Post by Avro »

Sabena_690 wrote: I was surprised when I heard that the emergency exit seats on the B777/A321 had no window...
Well, if I remember correctly, the A321 also has a window on the emergency exit row, but only 2 seats on each side instead of 3.

Greetz
Chris
8)

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Sabena_690 wrote:Thanks for the drawing Ben! :mrgreen:

Frederic
You're welcome Frederic Image

BeN Image

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Ben, make a seat lay-out of the B732 + B738, and send it to:

postmaster@ryanair.ie

floodl@ryanair.ie

stauntons@ryanair.ie

nygardm@ryanair.ie

foxj@ryanair.ie

ryana@ryanair.ie

wilsone@ryanair.ie

info@ryanair.ie

ryanair@ryanair.ie

purcelle@ryanair.ie

munrok@ryanair.ie

internet@ryanair.ie

They will feel honoured! :mrgreen:

Maybe they put it on the website...

Frederic

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Frederic,

I intend to patent my drawings of the cabin-layouts as well as my -already- famous BeNeLux maps. Image Ask my students for further information :wink:

Moreover I am still looking for the best letter/symbol for the galleys.