Heathrow to Keflavik (and return) With Icelandair

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Heathrow to Keflavik (and return) With Icelandair

Post by Comet »

OK, so I have already written about all my domestic flights in Iceland, so now it is time to write about my first ever international flight with Icelandair (and therefore my first visit to Iceland).

At that time we were living in Barnsley, and I had the week off school to go on this holiday (I had just recovered from chicken pox at the time, so I had loads of time off school :lol: ). We caught the national Express coach from Barnsley to London Victoria, and then the bus to Heathrow.

It was turned 6pm when we arrived at Heathrow, we dropped off our luggage in left luggage, found out that the viewing area had closed for the day, and so headed off to the top of the car park to spot. I had a new camera at the time, which I was eager to try, and so I took my first ever aircraft photos here.

A British Airways Boeing 747 at Heathrow.

A Dan Air BAC1-11 takes off (I was surprised, as I thought that Dan Air used Gatwick instead of Heathrow.)

We were to take off at around 22:15 on that night. It was a Sunday, and the weather was good. We checked in, but were not lucky enough to get a window seat, just a middle and an aisle.

It was dark when our aircraft arrived. It was a Boeing 727 of Icelandair, I had never flown on the 727, and I stood and watched through the window as the aircraft was prepared for the flight, which was to last just under three hours. The security man had commented on us "flying off to the North Pole" before he wished us a pleasant flight.

When we boarded the aircraft, we discovered that we were sat in the rear half of the cabin, it was six abreast but was okay for comfort. There was a young guy in the window seat, but he was happy to allow us to look through. Heathrow is another world at night, it quietens down for passengers and takes on an entirely different atmosphere. As we taxied away from the terminal and towards the runway, we passed a British Airways hangar with three Concordes parked inside. Our take off was slightly delayed owing to a flight heading for Malta taking off before us, but eventually we were on our way down the runway. The take off was smooth, and it was great to climb out over London at night and see all the lights, especially of Piccadilly Circus, below us.

I remember the meal was a fish salad, with pickled herring, which was quite pleasant, and a good introduction to Icelandic cuisine! tye captain had told us in the pre take off announcement that the visibility on the route north was excellent, and we could tell! The young guy by the window, who drunk alot of alcohol but seemed unaffected by it, was pointing out that the sky was growing lighter and redder as we flew closer to Iceland. It was May, and a sunny day in May in Iceland is a sunny one indeed, as it is light nearly for 24 hours! It was quite a magical experience to fly to Iceland at night, and see it get lighter.

We had a boucy landing at Keflavik Airport, a US NATO base in the south west of the country. The arrivals area was very primitive, with rollers for the luggage instead of a carousel. If you didn't get your baggage quickly enough, it fell onto the floor once it reached the end of the roller (these rollers were not uncommon in Icelandic domestic airports!) It was very cold, and just turned midnight.

We caught the bus from the airport to Reykjavik, and I remember seeing the steam rising from the ground in the dusky light.

We had a truly brilliant week in Iceland. The return flight was operated by Boeing 727 TF-FLG (which became almost like an old friend for the number of flights I had in it!!)

TF-FLG was boarded from the outside. Now Keflavik has air bridges.

On this occasion I had been lucky to sit in a window seat! At exactly 17:30, we lifted off from Keflavik and headed south once more. This time we were served a hot meal, a stew of some type. The cabin crews on Icelandair were always friendly and professional, and I enjoyed flying with them. The flight was smooth, and we approached into Heathrow over Wembley, we had a very good view of the stadium as we descended. It had been the FA Cup final the previous day. The landing at Heathrow was good, and I was disappointed to be back. How I wanted to board that 727 again and fly back to Iceland!

More international Icelandair flights to follow...
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

That's a great report Louise, Thank you very much :)

It must indeed be funny to take off at night and see the sky become lighter and lighter while going to iceland. :P
I had a new camera at the time, which I was eager to try, and so I took my first ever aircraft photos here.
Allready spotting as a litlle girl ;)

Greetz
Chris
8)

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Great report again Louise.
Reading the report I got the idea that i made the flight myself.

Best Regards,
Yvo

Comet

Post by Comet »

Chris and Yvo - thanks for your compliments. Yes, I was spotting when I was little (I started when I was four :lol: - read the thread about My First Ever Flights). We used to have day visits to Heathrow when I was little, I loved watching aircraft take off then, and I admit that's what I enjoy most with spotting now.

I really love doing these Icelandair reports, this one was as much fun as the others, and I have more to come (I flew international flights with Icelandair for six years, so I have plenty more material to post).

That was the only late night flight we made to Iceland, the rest were in the morning, the afternoon or middle evening. It was a weird experience to see the sky get lighter like that, but I can recommend a night time flight to Iceland, just for that kind of spectacle.
Louise

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Really great report, Louise! I am waiting to get more of those reports here!! :D

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Great report, Louise.

But maybe you had not yet learned how to focus with your new camera ;-)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks Andre! The camera was a point and shoot thing, not one that you focus. And those photos are pretty good considering that it had a mind of its own, and would take photos of anything except what I wanted it to :lol:

The photo is a little blurred probably because the 747 was moving, and I was moving the camera to get it all in :lol:

I'm pretty pleased with the 727 though (who will feature in later reports and was known as "Heimfari").
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

And don't imply that I can't take photos :!: :evil:

Nowadays all my footage of moving aircraft is on video.
Louise

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Comet wrote:And don't imply that I can't take photos :!: :evil:

Nowadays all my footage of moving aircraft is on video.
I also said that that pic was blurred!!!

But I also know what a ******* that camera was!!! :lol: :lol:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Thanks for your nice report. Seeing all those "old" generation planes makes me feel nostalgic. I wish I could have flown in them.

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments TriStar - yes, the 727 was a nice aircraft to fly in, and it operated with Icelandair into the 1990s.
Louise