SN to BRU Earlier Than I Thought!!!

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
A318

Post by A318 »

Frederic, this is not always the case. Sometimes a huge travel agency buys the cheapest seats in a block from the airline company for a certain period. This guarantees the airline those seats are sold for that period and it gives the travel agent the guarantee he has the cheapest seats to offer on that flight. That's why I always advice people when they want to book a hotel or a flight, rent a car etc to shop around online. I can never guarantee we are the cheapest even I know our hotels got very sharp prices. Take some time to look around online since it can save you a lot of money! Today Expedia got the best price, tommorow it is Tip Travel and next week it can be the airline or the hotel it's website that keeps the best offer.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Do you own a travel agency, Erwin?

Not smart to promote Ryanair in that case... ;)

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

I did shop around for my tickets, I looked on all the on-line ticket agencies I could find and I got exactly the same quote from each of them for the flights I wanted, but I found Expedia to be the best one, as I said, I don't like the idea of having to collect tickets from the airport on the day I fly, in case there is a problem. I like to have them with me in advance.

I would never use Expedia to book Flybe though! The best place to find good Flybe prices is on Flybe.com!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

A318

Post by A318 »

@Comet: Ofcourse not only the price makes the decision why people like to book on a certain site, it is also the look of the site, experience with them etc.
Yesterday somebody requested me business class tickets with Virgin Atlantic from Lagos to London, then I wonder why don't you book on the site from Virgin Atlantic but somehow we were cheaper, more interesting I have no idea. What I do notice is that more companies use the "smaller" online agencies like we are running to book their hotels. 2 weeks ago a booking for a pretty expensive hotel in France from a company here in Holland but no tickets we booked, why? No idea but I guess it is a price/feeling decesion.

@Frederic: I don't promote Ryanair I only described my experinces with them and I am impressed with their business plan, that's all. This counts also for the other LCC's I think it is amzaing how much money they make with the current prices, that graps my attention. I like starting businesses and especially E-commerce, the LCC's melted those 2 together in one.
Besides that Freceric, the only reason we sell tickets is because of the total package people want to find on a site, without offering tickets your business will go down fast. For the money you don't have to do it because it is the worst paying part from the online travel business and soon you get no commission at all.

With this I am probably way out of line and totally :offtopic: but I just wanted to explain something about how or what things work with selling tickets online. In advance, SORRY :oops: ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Comet

Post by Comet »

I booked this trip entirely online - the flights, the hotel in Birmingham and the train tickets from Scarborough to Birmingham. I had used Superbreak.com and thetrainline.com for bookings before, but this was the first time I'd used Expedia and I have to say I was quite pleased with them and I'd probably use them again, unless I was booking Flybe flights!

Back to the flight topic, I will post an illustrated report on here a few days after I get back (have to wait for the photos to be developed!) The airline meal link isn't working, so are photos of airline meals still OK or won't any more be wanted?
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Comet: there are some server problems, will be solved asap.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Louise,

To accommodate all your wishes, may I suggest the following schedule?

SN2038 BHX 08:50 BRU 11:05 (ARJ-100)

Yellow STIB/MIVB Airport Bus 12. Airport departure 11:40. Arrival at Schuman 12:05. This bus runs every 20 minutes. Ticket costs €3.00 and allows for a change within 60 minutes.

At Schuman, walk down the Rue de Froissart to Place Jourdan (5-10 minutes). Have a nice cone of chips at Friterie Antoine, the best chips in Brussels, if not in Belgium. Accompany it with a nice Belgian beer.

When you have finished, take a bus 34, direction Transvaal (a ticket will cost you €1.40) and get down after 10 minutes at stop Hankar. You will see a Delhaize supermarket, where you can buy all the beer you want at reasonable prices. They usually have Sloeber, but don't be surprised if they haven't: Sloeber is not exactly the most popular brand in Belgium.

Go back to Hankar, take a metro 1A direction Baudouin/Boudewijn (a ticket will cost you €1.40) and get off at stop Central Station. Buy a train ticket to the airport (€2.60) and take any train that goes there (there is one every 15 minutes).

Check in (unless you had your boarding pass already delivered at BHX), go through passport control of Pier B and go to the self service restaurant at the upper floor, get yourself another Belgian beer, sit down near a window and spot the planes on the main apron until it is time to go to the gate.

SN2047 BRU 18:40 BHX 18:55 (ARJ-85)

Enjoy your stay in Belgium.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Andre - thanks alot for arranging my trip itinerary :lol: It is helpful to know the prices in advance then I know exactly how much to budget for. I will print it off and take it to Brussels with me, hopefully I will get my return boarding card when I check in at BHX, then I don't have to go back to the airport as early and can spend a bit longer looking round the place. If the shop you mentioned doesn't have any Sloeber, I will go to Bier Tempel and see what they have in. Now all I need is good weather :lol:

Thanks again :thumbsup:
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

I will post an illustrated report on here a few days after I get back (have to wait for the photos to be developed!)
Not any more, now that I have my new digital camera :lol: At least then I can check the quality of the photo right away, and if it's bad I can delete it and take another.

I was holding out for an A319 on my outward flight, as I know that SNBA operate the type into BHX. I like the ARJ, but I will be going on some in September, and it would have been nice to have my first flight in an A319.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:I was holding out for an A319 on my outward flight, as I know that SNBA operate the type into BHX. I like the ARJ, but I will be going on some in September, and it would have been nice to have my first flight in an A319.
Come one week earlier, and you'll have an A319 on the BHX-BRU leg. The change to summer schedule on 28 March makes it necessary to reserve te A319 for medium haul flights: IST, TLV, MOW, CMN, etc.
André
ex Sabena #26567

VC10

Post by VC10 »

I have managed to get myself a flight with Louise on 31st March (can't believe my luck there!!!!!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It'll be a bit of a rush as I have to work on the 30th so I have to get to Birmingham in the evening to get to our hotel. But for a day in Brussels, it'll be well worth the hassle!!!

So, Bart, if you manage to do our flight, there will now be 2 "Old Jets" on board!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hi Comet, hi VC10,

I just checked my schedule but I will not be on that particular flights you 2 are on. But I am 200% sure you will be in good hands on your flights!

greetings,

Bart
:rock:

Comet

Post by Comet »

That's a real shame Bart, but as you say, we'll be in good hands and we're confident of two brilliant flights.

Then roll on September :lol:
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:Hi Comet, hi VC10,

I just checked my schedule but I will not be on that particular flights you 2 are on.
Hey Bart, make sure that your colleagues know which VIPs will be on board :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

VC10

Post by VC10 »

sn26567 wrote:
luchtzak wrote:Hi Comet, hi VC10,

I just checked my schedule but I will not be on that particular flights you 2 are on.
Hey Bart, make sure that your colleagues know which VIPs will be on board :wink:
Never been referred to as a VIP before!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should we wear our best tiaras and frocks??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I'm really looking forward to my first flight with SNBA. :wink: :wink:

Trisha

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Got my tickets today for the trip to Brussels on 31 March, so...beer shops and Antoine's chippy, here we come!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trisha

Comet

Post by Comet »

It's just three days to go now!

:drink: to good flights (and no delays!)

:drink: to good weather.

:drink: to good chips

and

:drink: to buying some proper beer in my first visit to a beer shop since September 2003!
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

I got home this afternoon.

Flights were great, weather was great, spotting in BHX for five hours on Tuesday was a delight, chips were wonderful, Primus on Grande Place was divine and I visited a beer shop for the first time since September and bought such beautiees as Tongerlo, Ename, Brugs, Rochefort 6 (rare), Ciney and the ultimate one Sloeber! Roll on September when I can go back!!

(ps BHX is a wonderful airport :mrgreen:)
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I see you has a great time. I hope we shall soon get a more detailed report.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

There will be a detailed report, I still need to upload my photos to do a spotting report (I also got both in-flight meals successfully this time!)

(I have already put the first flight report on my Yahoo Group because I don't need to upload anything for that :lol: )
Louise