Mingling with the Jet-set at EBACE: BRU-GVA-BRU on TV

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
chrisflyer

Mingling with the Jet-set at EBACE: BRU-GVA-BRU on TV

Post by chrisflyer »

A short note on my one-day work visit to EBACE 2005 (European Business Aviation Conference and Exhibition) in Geneva.

Outbound
Virgin Express flight TV130
Thursday 19 May 2005
Depart Brussels (BRU) at 06.50
Arrive Geneva (GVA) at 08.10

Took a taxi from Central Brussels at 05.00 in the morning. We picked up my colleague and then drove straight to the airport. It's almost a pity one doesn't get to experience the early morning more often. When the weather is nice (as it was that day), the low sun creates a magnificent atmosphere. Plus at this time of day the world seems almost deserted, which adds a touch of surrealism.

Check-in was a breeze as we had hand luggage only. We trotted down to the B pier for a much needed strong cup of coffee and a croissant. Boarding was called around 06.30, we got seats in row 6 on the 737-300, which had a 60-70% load factor. Captain (Ozzie or Kiwi judging by the accent) announced a 60 min flight and excellent weather along the route. We took off ahead of schedule, made an immediate left and continued straight towards Southern Belgium and France.

Before long we started our descent, gliding along Lac Léman. Passing the town on the downwind leg and then made a 180° left turn before final approach onto GVA's runway 05. Touchdown was fairly smooth and within minutes we were out of the plane and ready for a day of meetings, discussions and, not to forget, admiring some pretty smart looking Gulfs and Citations at EBACE.

Return
Virgin Express flight TV135
Thursday 19 May 2005
Depart Geneva (GVA) at 18.20
Arrive Brussels (BRU) at 19.40

After a successful day tiredness started to kick in. We had a look through the tax free boutiques and settled by the gate in time for the plane to arrive. Another 733, which we boarded soon enough and which pretty much had a 100% load factor. I had a browse through the Herald Tribune as we were held at the stand for another twenty minutes due to traffic. Looked like quite a few of the jets from EBACE were on their way out, which eventually caused us to be number seven for take-off.

Flight this time was only fifty-five minutes, with touchdown in Brussels at 19.50, ten minutes behind schedule. Deplaning was a breeze and there was second to no line at immigration which meant we were landside by eight and I got home by half past eight.

Both of them quite uneventful flights altogether, but as usual a very friendly, dedicated and no-nonsense service from Virgin Express. Keep up the good work!

Happy landings,
Chris

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice well-written report, Chris. Did you sample the food on board?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the report! It was interesting to read.

Just like André I also have a question about the food on your flights: do you have an idea about the number of people who purchased drinks/sandwiches/snacks?

In case you bought something: how do you rate it?

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

B744skipper

Re: Mingling with the Jet-set at EBACE: BRU-GVA-BRU on TV

Post by B744skipper »

Thanks for sharing this nice report with us! :D
chrisflyer wrote:When the weather is nice (as it was that day), the low sun creates a magnificent atmosphere. Plus at this time of day the world seems almost deserted, which adds a touch of surrealism.
I couldn't agree with you more, that atmosphere as the world slowly "awakes" is absolutely fabulous. :wink:

chrisflyer

Post by chrisflyer »

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

On this particular flight, the meal service didn't seem too successful. Perhaps 10% of the passengers actually bought something, a few more on the return flight in the evening. The reason could be that it is actually an extremely short flight.

Personally, I didn't buy anything as I had had breakfast at the airport and had a dinner planned in Brussels in the evening. It's my perception, however, that the food on board VEX is cheaper than at the respective airports. Is that true?

Chris

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

On my flight with VEX I saw that people brought their own food and drinks on board.

I have only tried the coffee and that wasn't that bad.
About the prices I have no idea if is it cheap or not.

The new inflight menu from VEX you can find here: Virgin Express Inflight Menu
Best regards,

Airbuske

FlightSimCrew

Post by FlightSimCrew »

Food is off great quality although rather expensive (if you compare to a restaurant of course) but for an airline its quite competitive ..
Personnaly I think the coffee is to large (min. 2/3 cups) but its just small inconvenience..
I say : you get what you paid for ..