Oslo flights from pier A

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
danieln

Oslo flights from pier A

Post by danieln »

I am just back from a short trip to Oslo. I was suprised to find out that our (by the way excellent) SN-flight departed from pier A. I thought that this pier was only supposed to host flights to and from Shengen-countries. Norway is not even a EU-memberstate, so it will surely not be a Shengen country.
Can someone tell me how this comes?

concordino

Post by concordino »

Perhaps this list will clarify

Parties to the Schengen Agreement:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

Concordino

Bob_Marcotte

Re: Oslo flights from pier A

Post by Bob_Marcotte »

danieln wrote:I am just back from a short trip to Oslo. I was suprised to find out that our (by the way excellent) SN-flight departed from pier A. I thought that this pier was only supposed to host flights to and from Shengen-countries. Norway is not even a EU-memberstate, so it will surely not be a Shengen country.
Can someone tell me how this comes?

All flights coming and going to Norway depart from/arrive at gates A69 or A72. Those are the only 2 gates with a checkpoint installed so customs/police can stop and search whoever looks suspicious? I've never seen it being used tho 8) . Hope this helps.

grtz

earthman

Post by earthman »

You do not need to be an EU country to join Shengen. All the scandinavian countries, including Iceland and Norway, joined it in '96. The treaty was created independently from the EU in '85. Only in '99 did the treaty become part of the EU, so the new EU countries HAVE to implement it. However, you still do not need to be an EU member to join it. Switzerland signed the treaty in december 2004 and has a referendum on the issue on 5 June this year. Liechtenstein will then also join.

So anyway, yes Norway is a Shengen country.

Captain

Post by Captain »

Hi danieln,

You will love Oslo airport.

It's beautiful design with a lot of pine wood and open spaces make it a very modern airport with a Scandinavian touch.

Tell us what you think when you fly there.

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

it looks very nice!

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

I was in Oslo in July 2003, it is a really nice bright airport with lots of open spaces, I would say it is one of the best airports I have been to. :smile: :thumbsup: