AF ABZ - DXB - ABZ 20/4 - 27/4

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
chunk

AF ABZ - DXB - ABZ 20/4 - 27/4

Post by chunk »

I had to go to Abu DHabi on business last week so took advantage and went to see my family in Dubai before driving to Abu Dhabi. Air France had the best deal and I still gt my FD points so I went for it, nothaving been on AF medium / long haul in at least 10 years.

ABZ - CDG 20th April ETD 0620 Emb-145

I had taken this flight in March to connect to my MEA flight to Beirut for my vacation so knew what to expect. I had the single seat around the middle of the cabin and legroom is actually ok - it is the headroom that is the problem. PLane left on time and service was minimal - had an orange juice and a small croissant. Flight was smooth and we touched down around 0900 Paris time - about 20 mins ahead of schedule. I slept a fair amoutn of it to be truthful!

I spent the day in Paris (had to attend a meeting at lunchtime), which was cool - haven;t been in Paris for a few yrs and its a city i really like. ALso met my cousin for a drink before heading back to CDG for the overnihgt flight to DXB.

CDG - DXB - 20th April - A330 ETD 2330

Got back to CDG around 2100 and settled into the biz lounge until my flight was called. Again everything was on time and was welcomed aboard by very friendly staff. Flight was about 70% full I'd say. Took my seat at an exit row (around 30 somewhere..) but legroom wasn;t great with the bulkheadin the way. Took off on schedule and drinks and dinner were served. I thought it was strange time to give a dinner but I was hngry and the food was actually pretty good - and there was plenty of it! I think i had beef....
The PTV system wasn't bad - there were a few movies to choose from but I didn;t think I would stay awake long enough to get into anything. I was right.....I must have slept the next 4hrs, waking up an hour from landing with a roll and coffee. Landed ahead of schedule at DXB which was dead quiet so through immigration quickly. Overall a good experience on AF!

DXB - CDG 27Apr ETD 1210 Airbus A330

Checked in around 10am and it was clear this flight wasn't busy! Managed to move to get two seats to myself at the row just behind business - this has excellent legroom I could stretch right out. Take off on time and lunch served promptly - again the food was good, beef with noodles, prawn salad, cheese, yoghurt, apple strudel.....

Stretched out and settled to watch the incredibles on the PTV - good movie....wasn't much else worth watching though. Strange thing on this flight was the lack of snack before landing....or so I thought. Turns out that you just had to got to the galles and they provided drinks and sandwiches as required. Wierd.....basically didn;t see any crew unless the seatbelts signs went on for turbulence - this happened a few times but never really bad. AF should do what KL do and go round every hour or so with trays of juice and water....
Not a bad flight though - load was around 50% only though.....I love the A330 however. Prefer it to the 777 in fact -seems more spacious to me witht he 2-4-2 layout....personal preference I guess before someone rips me head off!

CDG - ABZ 27April, ETD 2100 ERJ-145

Again around a 50% load on this flight which once again was right on time leaving and made up time. Service on board was a small sandwich and drink but I was tired and dozed for about 1hr. Woke up over Edinburgh as we were descending...flight landed 20mins ahead schedule and was very smooth all the way.

Overall I liked AF. I am not sure they are better then KL but they are as good - they just do things differently though not 'bad' different. I will use them again almost certainly though still much prefer AMS to CDG which is a bit of a mess.....

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Nice report, thx for sharing

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for this excellent report, chunk. I will not rip off your head because you prefer the A330 to the B777. I do too: 2-4-2 is much more comfortable than 3-4-3.
André
ex Sabena #26567

chunk

Post by chunk »

True - the EMirates 777's are configured 3-4-3 but KLM's are 3-3-3. To be honest I didn;t notice too much difference - despite being 1.85m+ and a growing waistline! The 2-4-2 layout on the A330 is way more comfortable as faras I am concerned....

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Great report

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

plus in general, the 777 is more new, and more airlines have PTV's on it :D. Not the case for AF, but UA and KL for example.

chunk

Post by chunk »

heathrow wrote:plus in general, the 777 is more new, and more airlines have PTV's on it :D. Not the case for AF, but UA and KL for example.
Is it? I thought the t7 and 330 were about the same age....every A330 I have been on has had PTV's....though I have never been on a charter version. The new KLM A330's are getting fitted with the same systems as their T7's I believe.

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

exactly. If the aircraft is newer, then it will have PTV's. It is mor likely for the T7 to have it though, as it is newer than the 330. However some 330's are newer than a T7. Does this make any sense?

chunk

Post by chunk »

heathrow wrote:exactly. If the aircraft is newer, then it will have PTV's. It is mor likely for the T7 to have it though, as it is newer than the 330. However some 330's are newer than a T7. Does this make any sense?
Usually this is true! Look at the new Lufthansa and Iberia 340-600's for proof that new doesn't necessarily mean PTV! Though frankly its a disgrace they don;t.....you can be sure that if IB had a T7 you would be staring up at a screen whilst paying for your bottle of water.....

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

It is horrible. When are these airlines going to go up. I mean, even rich airlines liek Lufthansa still have no PTV's?