My landing in Southern Chad flying the C182SMA

This is the forum to place all your aviation videos and clips: events, air disasters, crashes, spectacular landings, etc...
etopsflyers

My landing in Southern Chad flying the C182SMA

Post by etopsflyers »

Let me know what you think about it :)

jan_olieslagers

Re: My landing in Southern Chad flying the C182SMA

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Do you really mean this plane is equipped with the SMA diesel engine, so that it can run on Jet A1 fuel?

And, err, can we really call this a bush landing? The initial pictures show a quite substantial city, don't they? May one ask what the actual location is?
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 05 Apr 2018, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice video of a shaky landing, etopsflyers. And welcome to Aviation24.be.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 17:22 ..... And, err, can we really call this a bush landing? The initial pictures show a quite substantial city, don't they? May one ask what the actual location is?
I don't have much merit to ID the place :

On YooToob :
Published on 17 Dec 2015
My landing into FTTP, Pala in Chad with Cessna C182Q SMA.
From N'Djamena.

Looks like initial APP was heading about 240. Better to overfly into the sun so that the crowd-cattle-sheep-dogs (select as appropriate) have a better chance to anticipate.
Then a right bank followed by a teardrop to align with "RYW06", after landing continue for +1km to the apron.

Welcome to Africa.

Thanks EtopsFlyers.

H.A.

etopsflyers

Post by etopsflyers »

Hey guys,

Sorry for my late answer, it was a landing in Pala, southern Chad.
I filmed this with a GoPro on my head so might not be the best video, however it can show you more or less what it is like.

Thank you for you interest :)

etopsflyers

Post by etopsflyers »

...and yes it is equipped with a SMA diesel engine running on JET-A1 because 100/100LL is very rare if not impossible to find in Chad.
I remember some used to get 100LL from other countries for about 5€/l while JET-A1 used to be 580CFA/l (about 0.90€).
MAF humanitarian flights used to switch from a C206 to C208 because of lack/price of fuel.
I've flown a bit "freely" on this approach as I had no passenger nor cargo on the flight TO pala.
It is very unfortunate for me to have lost a lot of bush pilot videos in which I eventualy had flights to Zakouma where I would go-around because of giraffe on runway or flying into MAO, the only brick made runway in the world I was told...

Fly safe...