Emirates pilot "forgets" to retract landing gears during Take-Off at Brussels Airport

This is the forum to place all your aviation videos and clips: events, air disasters, crashes, spectacular landings, etc...

KriVa

Re: Emirates pilot forgets to retract landing gears during Take-Off at Brussels Airport

Post by KriVa »

Chances are honestly quite small that they 'forgot' to retract the gears after take-off. Remember, there's at least two pilots in that flight deck, and per standard procedures, one of them would call out for the gears to be retracted, the other would perform the physical action of moving the lever. As such, two people would have to forget about it for an extended period of time, at the same time. Except for some abnormality occurring in/around the flight deck just after take-off (unexpected instructions, traffic, etc...), chances of forgetting it are slim.
The landing gear, when extended, offers some significant aerodynamic drag, hindering the performance of the aircraft noticeably. Also, the gear is certainly audible when extended, another factor suggesting they did not forget about it.
My guess is that the brakes may still have been hot after the previous arrival and outbound taxi, and they decided to let the gear hang in the airflow for a few minutes to cool them down.
As always, I could be wrong, of course, and often am. :lol:
Thomas

Bracebrace

Re: Emirates pilot forgets to retract landing gears during Take-Off at Brussels Airport

Post by Bracebrace »

Yes, it's even a standard procedure. Especially on short turnarounds the brakes might still be fairly hot and might even limit your turnaround time (min time on ground required). In some cases it is even required to keep the gear down.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

I doubt they 'forgot' :lol:

Had the experience myself back in 2004 on a UA flight from DEN to PHX. Gear stayed down for about ten minutes as that was the fastest way to cool it down (stated by the captain).

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Around 2:20 minutes after take-off they retract the landing gears.
Guess cooling the brakes :)

Image Take-off at 14:32:10
Image Turn at 14:32:47
Image Climb at 14:33:50
Retracting gear at 14:34:17
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello guys,

Real reason was less spectacular.
One brake unit was leaking so one brake was depressurized deactivated to stop the leak.
This is an approved procedure and has as consequence that gear must remain down to allow natural spin-out of wheel of deactivated wheel before retraction of gear. This to limit forces on gear during retraction.

Aircraft left on time despite everything.

Greets,

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Very clear explanation, thanks Bruspotter!