Belgian military getting rid of their aerodromes

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jan_olieslagers

Belgian military getting rid of their aerodromes

Post by jan_olieslagers »

The latest edition of the Belgian AIP°° reports four military aerodromes to have reverted to civilian status:

* EBLE Leopoldsburg aka Beverlo
* EBTN Tienen / Goetsenhoven
* EBSL Zutendaal
* EBZR Zoersel aka Wechelderzande aka Oostmalle

This will perhaps not change much in daily life: the military used these fields rarely if at all. Only I thought Zutendaal served to store unused A109 helicopters, and Goetsenhoven was used by the "Luchtkadetten". But all four have had civilian use during the weekends for many years.

I can't help wondering when the next series will follow:
* EBUL Ursel, but this one has a NATO statute, I think
* EBBX Bertrix - when did it last see military usage? But who else might wish to use it, otherwise...
* EBSU Saint Hubert (do not confuse with civilian EBSH!), idem ditto
* perhaps even EBFN Koksijde could go, but isn't it one of only three bases for our combat planes, though none are based there? I always saw this place as a possible alternative for EBOS...

One that quietly disappeared from the AIP long ago is the runway in the Elsenborn shooting area, I think it once served UAVs. When I recently flew over I saw the runway still in a perfect state of maintenance, but not a living soul in sight, let alone an aeroplane.

°° AIP: the Aeronautical Information Publication, the one and only official source of aeronautical information. Published by the national aviation authorities in a format defined by ICAO. The Belgian edition can be consulted at http://www.belgocontrol.be
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 03 Dec 2016, 23:30, edited 2 times in total.

DIBO

Re: Belgian military getting rid of their aerodromes

Post by DIBO »

You can add EBWE Weelde and EBMO Moorsele to your 'next series' list.
And with EBBE Beauvechin, there are still 4 fighter-capable airbases.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What about Brasschaat, where the school of the military light aviation of the land forces used to be based? (I don't know the ICAO code)
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Right you are, @DIBO. Moorsele in particular looks like having zero effective value for our military. Weelde might perhaps be under NATO obligations, like Ursel? But I was doing my best to spread the effort over all Belgium, not just the Northern part... ;)

Regarding Brasschaat, that has ceased to be military for several years now. Its last operational military aircraft were the BN2 Islanders. (The code is EBBT, as the AIP will tell you. Anyone in aviation should have a natural reflex to consult the AIP first of all, it is the one official document.)

Mavke

Post by Mavke »

Brasschaat was used by the army last summer for UAV operations above the harbour of Antwerpen .

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

OK. I just discovered the AIP. Not being a pilot myself, I had little use of such a database, but I recognise it is interesting reading.

And I fondly remember the Britten Norman Islanders and the Piper Cubs of EBBT, where I had to guard the aerodrome one night during my military service. .
André
ex Sabena #26567