March statistics of Brussels Airlines out!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

March statistics of Brussels Airlines out!

Post by Inquirer »

Just noticed that Brussels Airlines did publish their statistics for the month of March, the month during which their home airport was hit by the worst terror attack ever on Belgian soil.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/brussel ... er-growth/

Now that things are getting back to operational normality, they seem to have found the time again to pick up this habit of theirs, which is good news for us here, observers.

Of course, it's a difficult month to analyse in depth given the volatility of the results, but what can be noticed apart from an expected and very significant drop in total passenger numbers, is that their RSK (an image of their revenues) falls pretty much in line with their ASK (an image of their direct operating costs), leading to a very small load factor variation only. :shock:

That's actually surprisingly good news given the circumstances, since it means that broadly speaking they 'only' needed to absorb their temporarily oversized fixed overhead costs then in March, thus seriously limiting the financial impact these events had.

Through the forced cancelation of that many flights, they have definitely suffered a huge opportunity loss (see their reported growth figures up to 21st of March), but IMHO it also meant the events could only cause a relatively small actual loss over the full month of March (see the almost flat loadfactor).

Will be most interesting to see their numbers of April: these may be more indicative of the true impact on their bottom line, all depending how good they were at aligning ASK with RSK there too, but so far it shows that at least their short term operational results are nowhere near the financial picture painted here by some others, especially not taking into account that compared to same period last year, their fuel costs (and others) are likely going to be much lower too.

Good job, I'd say.

brusselsairlinesfan

Re: March statistics of Brussels Airlines out!

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

It hurts... my best wishes for recovery for brussels airlines & staff... they truly deserve it!

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Strange. I vaguely remember someone on this forum claiming SN does not communicate when it comes to negative news ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

OO-ITR wrote:Strange. I vaguely remember someone on this forum claiming SN does not communicate when it comes to negative news ;)
Only Brussels Airport hasn't yet published March figures.
André
ex Sabena #26567

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

January + 14.7 %
February + 15,8 %
March - 19.1 %
I'm sure it will be positive at the end of june !

barnabelg

Post by barnabelg »

nordikcam wrote:I'm sure it will be positive at the end of june !
There are still lots of people with already booked tickets that will have to fly. I'm not so sure that the number of bookings will be so positive with what is happening at BRU now.