January 2016 statistics for SN

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

Re: January 2016 statistics for SN

Post by crew1990 »

And I guess we can expect a much bigger increase in term of pax this year with this new A330, however I guess the load factor will be slightly droping on some europe stretch with the removal of the avro on some routes. But as an RJ100 cost more to operate than a A319, it will be positive and let some room for some expansion of the long haul as the increased feeding capacity will be available.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Inquirer wrote:I just pointed out Africa represents about 1/10th of their total traffic volume, so -2.4% : 10 = 0.24% less. They have posted an ASK of minus .2%, so there you have it. Almost spot on even!
No capacity reduction whatsoever, just the effect the swap of an African destination has on the ASK figures.
May I inquire what plane SN flies to North-America. An Avro? :roll:

convair

Post by convair »

sean1982 wrote:8,3% increase where 6,3% on european flights .... How in Gods name does that lead to 22,3% on Africa? ;)
Actually, it's the other way around: a 6.3% increase on european flights + a 22.3% increase on Africa (not even mentioning USA in this calculation) in the proportion of roughly 8 to 1 leads to a weighted average of 8.3% in primary school maths. ;)

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Jetter wrote:
Inquirer wrote:I just pointed out Africa represents about 1/10th of their total traffic volume, so -2.4% : 10 = 0.24% less. They have posted an ASK of minus .2%, so there you have it. Almost spot on even!
No capacity reduction whatsoever, just the effect the swap of an African destination has on the ASK figures.
I don't understand your point the point of Inquirer is clear to me!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

convair wrote:
sean1982 wrote:8,3% increase where 6,3% on european flights .... How in Gods name does that lead to 22,3% on Africa? ;)
Actually, it's the other way around: a 6.3% increase on european flights + a 22.3% increase on Africa (not even mentioning USA in this calculation) in the proportion of roughly 8 to 1 leads to a weighted average of 8.3% in primary school maths. ;)
Does primary school maths also tell you to leave stuff out of your calculations that dont make it stick? ;)

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sean1982 wrote:
convair wrote:
Does primary school maths also tell you to leave stuff out of your calculations that dont make it stick? ;)
What do you mean Sean?
His calculation looks logic !

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

lumumba wrote:
Jetter wrote:
Inquirer leaves America traffic out of the calculation, if you include the America traffic which is also flown by A330 it doesn't add up anymore.

convair

Post by convair »

sean1982 wrote:
convair wrote:
Sure, when the figure is not available and/or in your best judgment it's negligible for the purpose of your calculation. ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Could a mathematician please explain how it works? That will prevent discussions like above that have little added value to the fact that SN is still progressing at a high rate (especially in Africa) and gaining market share in Brussels Airport. And that is the important fact to retain!
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Jetter wrote:
lumumba wrote:
Jetter wrote:
Inquirer leaves America traffic out of the calculation, if you include the America traffic which is also flown by A330 it doesn't add up anymore.
Ok but grosso modo it gives an explanation it will not change much with 1,5 flights a day to the States.(we don't have the numbers of the US)
It's logic if you have 6% in Europe and 22% in Africa.
Last edited by lumumba on 27 Feb 2016, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote:Could a mathematician please explain how it works?
I am more than willing to give it another shot if you feel such could settle this, although it has been done already; I fear some people's knowledge of math is simply rather rusty.
Jetter wrote:Inquirer leaves America traffic out of the calculation, if you include the America traffic which is also flown by A330 it doesn't add up anymore.
I don't leave anything out at all, but remember H.A. was explaining a VARIATION in ASK only, an explanation which I have tried to quantify and found to fall nicely in line with his explanation: none of us is trying to calculate the ASK value itself, you know?

To calculate the size of any variation, one does only need to have the numerical elements related to that variation itself; all the other elements need not be explicitly quantified, they only need to be accounted for since they are considered invariables in this!

I do exactly that when I:
multiply the percentage point diff. of the distances between BRU-NBO and a BRU-ACC
times the number of weekly flights there, and then
divide that by 7 (taking into account the plane can serve other routes, incl. US), and then
divide it by the total number of planes (incl. the possibility to serve the US with other planes).

I really wonder where I leave the US out then?
Maybe we can solve this in a non-mathematical way?
What reductions on American route(s) in the month of JAN vs the same month last year, do you see?
To the best of my knowledge they currently operate just 1 route to New York over winter, similar to last year, so I see no change there? But if you tell me what route got swapped or what destination got halted in the US vs last year, I am sure somebody will be able to give us the difference in distance and I will be more than happy to include it in the above calculation in exactly the same way as we did for the swap from NBO to ACC, as it will serve as template.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

sn26567 wrote:SN is still progressing at a high rate (especially in Africa) and gaining market share in Brussels Airport. And that is the important fact to retain!
And exactly the reason why some just don't want to understand the explanations above, or even doubt the official figures published.

Let me give them a small advise as well as a hint to what's coming: stay away of the discussion on the growth figures for February and beyond. It's just going to give you even more of a headache. ;)

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Solid figures. If SN can post these figures with equivalent yields as last year, or slightly lower, the result should be spectacular at the end of the year. Especiallly RPK growth is quite significant here, while cost is kept at same levels with ASK stability.

jean.wyns

Post by jean.wyns »

Concerning Africa : very logic evolution if you consider the end of the EBOLA sickness in West-Africa. SN was the ONLY airline who continued to fly to CKY/MLW/FNA and they are simply now banking on that, and it was not an easy decision, but you "just" have to take the challenge (and the risk). There is also an increase in FREQ on some other destinations in west-africa (coo, lfw). This fastastic increase in pax on Africa is the fruit of a very good policy implemented when Ebola broke out, and also the focus on West-Africa where Star has nothing except SN

jean wyns

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Welcome to Luchtzak, Jean Wyns. Thank you for your first post!
André
ex Sabena #26567