Further accelerating growth figures from SN, posting 13% growth in October.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

Further accelerating growth figures from SN, posting 13% growth in October.

Post by tolipanebas »

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... n-october/

706,227 passengers flew through the hub in BRU
RPK grew with over 16%
LF with 3.7% to 76.0%

Growth on Europe stood at 11.3% from Belgium, comfortably beating other airlines' bases in Belgium. ;)
Growth on USA: 20.3%
Growth on Africa: 27.9% even!

sn26567

Re: Further accelerating growth figures from SN, posting 13% growth in October.

Post by sn26567 »

13% growth for SN, vs 6.4% for BRU: SN again increases its market share at BRU! Good job!
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Just a question: how can you grow 26% on africa with the same amount of airplanes with "only" a 4% rise in LF?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

For the rest btw, impressive figures! Congrats :)

BAAV

Post by BAAV »

sean1982 wrote:Just a question: how can you grow 26% on africa with the same amount of airplanes with "only" a 4% rise in LF?
With same 8 planes could only work if less planes are actually employed on African routes this Oct compared to last year in the same period. When did they stop the seasonal Washington route, maybe it was different this year compared to last year? Then it would make sense. Alternatively more planes are in maintenance compared to same period? Otherwise does not seem realistic indeed

convair

Post by convair »

sean1982 wrote:Just a question: how can you grow 26% on africa with the same amount of airplanes with "only" a 4% rise in LF?
Last year, one airplane was off on C-check for the whole month if I remember correctly. I don't know when the IAD flights were discontinued and if they were replaced by Africa flghts.

Now the 3.7 % rise in l/f is the average for all flghts, not only Africa (divide RSK by ASK to get 76%).

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

There is the fact that all the ebola flights are back to normal, there is 1 weekly flight more with the swich between Nairobi and Accra, finally the flights to Accra are performing really well, much better then the Nairobi one

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

crew1990 wrote:There is the fact that all the ebola flights are back to normal, there is 1 weekly flight more with the swich between Nairobi and Accra, finally the flights to Accra are performing really well, much better then the Nairobi one
I think this is only partially correct:
- Indeed, the flights to Monrovia and Freetown were doubled (somewhere in September already);
- But the impact from switching from Naïrobi to Acrra can only very partially be seen in the October figures (winter timetable started only on 25/10). Moreover, the number of flights in the current winter timetable are showing less intensive use due to maintenance of one of the A330s. For November we will see this reduced capacity I assume in the figures that will be released in December (e.g. again more triangle flights for Kinshasa, overall East-Africa down 3 flights/week, ...).

I think that another explanation for the additional pax to Africa is: simple better filled flights (remember that SN said last year that Ebola had an important impact on all their African flights). Also better filled Washington flights I assume.

[Plus indeed, maybe last year there was one plane not used in October due to maintenance at that time]

Better to analyse the figures on an annual basis I think. But the changes are certainly possible / explainable ...

Cheers,
Danny

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Another month with great growth figures.
Not to start the monthly controvercy on just how big this growh it and how it relates to certain other airlines, but it does definitely put them in the top league of fastest growing European airlines.
Who would have thought a couple of years ago?

I fully agree montly figures can give a distorted figure, but it seems they are pretty much posting similar figures month after month this year, indicative they are able to steer their growth and are not simply riding on a wave of temporarily increased demand.

Another aspect which hasn't been commented on, but it seems they don't feel any negative impact of the much discussed GDS fee on their booking numbers, introduced in September. There was a lot to do about this and many public warnings from the travel industry were issued about a boycot, but based on these figures, those were either simply words (customers demanding to be booked nevertheles), or alternative direct booking methods were used instead by those customers (as was the plan).
I know we opted for the last solution at work, and it's really no big deal at all.