Magnification and image orientation

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

foxtango

Magnification and image orientation

Post by foxtango »

Hi to you all.
I have just joined this forum and am very interested in Contrail Spotting. I live in the NW of England (not too far from Blackpool) and have numerous high-level routes that pass close to me.
I have used Celestron 25X70 binoculars for a number of years and they have provided me great images of all the passing traffic. I want to take my interest further to include photography and have pretty much settled for a Skyliner 200P Dobsonian with a 2 X Barlow lens and Canon EOS 450D.

Just so that I can put the resulting magnification into some sort of context, in approximate binocular terms, what is the power of magnification that the above set up will give me? I also understand that the telescope will give me inverted images - but am I correct in thinking that the directly mounted camera will change them back again (i.e. - it too inverts the image so therefore makes it up-right again!!). I may have all this completely wrong of course!!
Many thanks for your time with this.
Cheers
Jont

contrailwatcherUK

Re: Magnification and image orientation

Post by contrailwatcherUK »

Hi and welcome,

I can't really answer your question about the magnification, but in terms of focal length you will achieve 2400mm with this scope and a 2x barlow, sorry but I don't know how to convert focal length into magnification (maybe some maths/physics boffin could help? :P). And yes your right about the image being corrected by the camera.

Good luck and looking forward to your images! :)

James.

foxtango

Post by foxtango »

Many thanks for your reply James!
Yes, I've since read that there is a formula out there - I think the 2400mm is approx 76X magnification - but I absolutely stand to be corrected!!
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Hope to be up and running soon.....
Cheers
Jont

radiostationx

Post by radiostationx »

Hi Jont,
Hope you get sorted with gear soon, I am not too far away from your location also in the North West of England.
Your location is perfect. The 200p is an excellent piece of kit, I have one too.
Hope to see some of your shots soon.
If you need help, send over a PM.

Regards,
radiostationx

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45436646@N08/
Skywatcher Dobsonian 200p,2 inch Revalation ED Barlow + Too Many Nikons.
RTL Dongles (x2)

leedseagle

Post by leedseagle »

Hi
Im in Leeds i had 12" inch dob but sold all my equipment, pole hill near burnley is a great spot as is holme moss, im thinking of getting 8" this time, again with revalation barlow and canon 300d
8" Skywatcher Dobsonian, Revelation 2" ED Barlow, Canon EOS 500d, Nikon Coolpix P900, Uniden EZI33XLT, Celestron Skymaster 25x75 Binoculars
http://www.flightradar24.com https://contrailspotting.wordpress.com