First contrails: bright spot

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

tintin77

First contrails: bright spot

Post by tintin77 »

Hi,

After looking to many contrails on this site I decided to buy a telescope. I also bought a Barlow, a cheaper one to start with.
Today I took my first pictures.
But after looking to them, it looks like there is a bright spot in the middle of the image. I'm not sure what's causing this. The quality of the Barlow, bad collimation, wrong assembly of the Barlow and camera, ... ??? It's especially visible in the thumbnails:

It is this Barlow I bought:
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pro ... ARLOW.html

Anyone any idea?

Thanks!

contrailwatcherUK

Re: First contrails: bright spot

Post by contrailwatcherUK »

I think its caused by the barlow lens, that barlow in the link is notorious for causing problems like the white spot. You should either buy a better quality one, i.e. televue, soligor, or just take the barlow off and shoot without it. Even though there will be less focal length you'll still get a better photo.

Fabjo

Re: First contrails: bright spot

Post by Fabjo »

Hello

as mentioned above, this problem is caused by the barlow lense.
I had the same Barlow and upgraded to a Televue 2x Powermate. Quality makes a huge difference although the price is quite high. Now i need more practise to focus faster and more accurate ;)
Skywatcher Dobson N 200/1200 Skyliner Classic
Televue 2x Powermate Barlow / EOS 60D