New to Contrail Spotting

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Fabjo

New to Contrail Spotting

Post by Fabjo »

Hi,
My name is Fabio from Austria, near Vienna ;)
I have always wanted to do Contrail Spotting more professional (also looking at planets) and i am getting my new Skywatcher 200/1200 on monday.
I purchased this equipment:
- Skywatcher N 200/1200 Skyliner Classic
- Teleskop-Service Superview Okular 30mm 2" (for my Lumix FZ-38)
- and some planets filters

For Spotting i would just use this combination:
Telescope+Superview+FZ38

I am now thinking to buy the correct Barlow Lense for the Superview and my FZ38 which is a Digital Camera
The Barlow i would buy (the only one which fits for the superview and my FZ38) is this one
Skywatcher 2" super-deluxe ED Barlow lens (with 1.25" adapter).

My question is it even worth to purchase a Barlow for Contrail Spotting ?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Skywatcher Dobson N 200/1200 Skyliner Classic
Televue 2x Powermate Barlow / EOS 60D

contrailwatcherUK

Re: New to Contrail Spotting

Post by contrailwatcherUK »

Hi and welcome!

Yes it is worth buying a barlow lens so that you can increase the magnification significantly, but not the one you suggested. Many have tried that skywatcher barlow lens but didnt like the results it was giving. The best option is the televue 2x 2" powermate, but it comes at a price. Other good options are a teleconverters such as canon/sigma/Kenko at 1.4x or 2x. I've also heard of a Soligor barlow 2x 2" which produced satisfactory results.

However, this works fine if you have a DSLR, but i don't know what results you'll get with the camera you are using (fz38). It may not work well with barlow lenses since it already has the lens built into the camera, so just try it first with the superview before you decide to add more glass to your set up.

Rgds,
James.

Fabjo

Post by Fabjo »

Hi

thank you for your help !

the Skywatcher 2" super-deluxe ED Barlow lens was recommended by Astroshop for my Camera as it is the only one which is compatible with a non DSLR Camera and a Superview.
I think the Barlow for a non DSLR makes more sense for planetary observations.

Will see, should be getting the telescope on Monday, hope the weather changes :(

Fabjo

Post by Fabjo »

My Skywatcher arrived today ;), after 30min it was ready ;), but now my Lumix FZ35/38 wont fit with the Superview 30mm which has a M57 thread, even with the Standard Adapter which comes with the camera it doesnot fit :( (like 1mm too small)
I have now purchased this adaptor, think its the correct one...i hope at least

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pro ... ulare.html

Cant wait for the weather to change :D