Contrail spotting September 2007

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

ilpavone2004

Post by ilpavone2004 »

thank you really much for answering skystef! I'm thinking to buy a new scope..a dobson of skywatcher with 10'' diameter :D i'd like to know if it's a good scope for contrail spotting :D i'm waiting for your answer...i just would like to do such great photos as yours!

best regards,

mattia

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

ilpavone2004 wrote:thank you really much for answering skystef! I'm thinking to buy a new scope..a dobson of skywatcher with 10'' diameter :D i'd like to know if it's a good scope for contrail spotting :D i'm waiting for your answer...i just would like to do such great photos as yours!
I think a 25 cm scope will be an excellent choice, mine has a diameter of 20 cm. It poses no problem shooting airplanes, but with a barlow it gives somekind of a brighter spot in the middle of pictures, this due to the construction of the scope. In can be corrected by doing some post processing work via photoshop. I have the feeling that using a barlow seems a better choice, not only for more detailed shots, but also to the fact the cam is protected against free air. Without the lens, the cam is put straight into the eyepiece holder, so air can cirulate freely into the cam. This poses a dust problem (not dramatic), but the inside mechanical pieces of the cam may weaken by the humidity, which ultimate could result in a break down. The coming weeks I hope to have a chance to test a 25 cm scope together with my barlow and if the bright spot is indeed gone, I might consider an upgrade passing most of my current post processing work.

ilpavone2004

Post by ilpavone2004 »

thank you really much skystef. I do not have a barlow lens buy i have an eyepiece (hyperion zoom 8-24) and i'm thinking to but a genuine ortho of baader planetarium because i asked to a technician and he answered me that for this kind of use the genuine ortho is the best. so i give also you an advice...they cost around 100-120€ but they're worth it ;) maybe the brighter spot will go away...i don't know.

best regards,

mattia