Contrail Spotting

Planespotting in the upper atmosphere! All pictures, reports or whatever question about upper level traffic come here

Moderator: Plane spotting team

FANFLYER

Post by FANFLYER »

Goodevening,
CobtrailwatcherUK,
Thanks for info.
Keep us updated when you bought and tested your new telescope.
Greetz, Karl

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

Hi some over Poland

11:25 UM984 767 Transaero

12:50 UL980 MD-11 KLM871 AMS-DEL PH-KCH
15:52 UL980 B747 Malaysia/A320 British Airways
16:31 UN191 B747 THAI CPH-BKK
16:42 UL980 Malaysia 04 KUL-LHR 9M-MPC :D
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6858 ... jkacw5.jpg 900x800

Pawel Greets
International Contrails Corner :arrow:
www.rnavspotters.fora.pl/index.php?c=3

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi Pawel.
Very very nice.
Thax
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

contrailwatcherUK

Post by contrailwatcherUK »

Pawel,
I love them, did you get a new scope?
I have joined that forum and posted some of mine on there.
I never thought so many people were into contrail spotting... such a shame its not popular over here in england :cry:

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

HI

Thank you very much for joined :)
I use Yukon telescope 20-50x50 mm and Lumix Ls-2

Pawel Greets
Invite contrails spotters

epsilon

Post by epsilon »

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Time to add something to the topic that I've started last year.

How many odds to catch two contrailing wide bodies in full frame of a 500mm digi lens (800 mm analogue) ? Not so many, by luck they even matched in type and altitude difference seemed rather small. I guess everyone will recognize the airlines.

Shot made at BRU Airport on November 29 around 1345LT.

From time to time more good pics of contrailers will be added to my webpage.

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Some shots of December 10 2006:

Frequent overflyer: Virgin Atlantic A340-600 enroute Dubai-Heathrow, this time G-VSHY as VS0401.

Monarch A330 enroute Goa-Gatwick, this was G-EOMA as MON2491.

Cathay's Silver Bullet B747-200 enroute Manchester-Hong Kong, B-HMF as CPA002 at sunset.

contrailwatcherUK

Hello!!
Nice photos Skystef. I especially like the two A330s, its not often this happens. Where I live this happens about once a year!
I went to Barcelona last week, these incidents happen a lot over there but unfortunately I couldnt bring my telescope with me :lol:
Some of my favourite photos since I bought my new telescope (1200mm focal length):
KLM734 heading west to the Carribean:
BAW2227 heading W to the Carribean:
MPH607 heading to Brussels EBBR:
LTU408 heading West to the USA:
DAL125 heading back to the USA:
CKS325 heading to Leige:
An Arkefly 767 heading to the USA:

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Some nice telescopic views contrailwatcher, even my lens can't get that close :wink: .

December 15, blue skies, but low inversion spoiled things (=radiation) to make good pics. However, these rolled out of the tube.

Privatair B737-700 maybe on a flight of Swiss? Pic around noon, W bound.
Image.

British Airways B747-400 G-BNLP enroute ISB-LHR as BAW146.

Air India B747-400 VT-EVB enroute BOM-LHR as AI125.

Airframe usually to be found in lower levels, MK Airlines B747-200 G-MKAA enroute BAH-Filton as CKS334A.

contrailwatcherUK

:wow: I didnt realise MK airlines were still around!!!
from saturday, AAR587:
Just before I had to go to work, this United airlines 777 appeared in the distance (I was a little late :lol: )

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Skystef:
If you live unther the same route as I used to (FRA-USA) than it's highly probable a Privatair flight from Düsseldorf to New York or something.
I've been there and last time one of those planes left around 11 so it's possible.

By the way if someone discovers that he lives unther that route (looooooots of LH 744, 330 , 340 ) please take some pics and get up early enough. I used to wake op at 8 to start watching the route from around 9 until as long as I could :D have seen so much ...really interesting route. Would be nice to see some pics of that one :P thx.

Best regards: Yannick ;)

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

contrailwatcherUK wrote::wow: I didnt realise MK airlines were still around!!!
Plenty of them found at EBOS, but its only my second contrailing MK I saw overhead, the first one was last year: DC8-63, but when I pointed my cam thick Cirrus spoiled things :cry: .

Today 19/12/06 the TV weatherman forecasted "for sure" no breaks in the fog & low clouds, pretty laughable as no one can predict these things "for sure".

So, around 1430 UTC, I saw this bird overhead, I suppose it's AP-BEU which was enroute Pakistan-U.K. perhaps on a VIP flight ?

And yes do I see dozens of Lufties everyday, in all sorts of types and all kind of altitudes.

Today, this one was captured 15 minutes before sunset, so I was awake by then ;).

concordino

Post by concordino »

@ Skystef

The PIA 310 has a similar tail scheme to one which landed at Stansted at around 15.00 GMT (UTC) yesterday. If the same bird, then it was AP-BGP - perhaps a new service ?

C

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

concordino wrote:@ SkystefThe PIA 310 has a similar tail scheme to one which landed at Stansted at around 15.00 GMT (UTC) yesterday. If the same bird, then it was AP-BGP - perhaps a new service ?
The tail color matches more closely than AP-BEU, so it was indeed AP-BGP. I suppose it was flight PK0787 on KHI-LHR, (recently A310s have been on this service), and as there were low clouds (and fog forecasted) I guess it diverted to STN with better wx conditions.

Thx for input C.

Bruspotter wrote:
If you live unther the same route as I used to (FRA-USA) than it's highly probable a Privatair flight from Düsseldorf to New York or something.
I've been there and last time one of those planes left around 11 so it's possible.
For the Privatair: from DUS only A319s are operated (to ORD & EWR), leaves the MUC-EWR service, so presumable the airframe was on LH412 service. Tailnumber is most probable HB-IIQ which is often seen on this route.

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

Hi

Guys great photos :shock: Nice to see new here. So I'v got some pics for you

MD-11 TAS Malmo-Kuala Lumpur on UM860

A340 9W LHR-DEL on UL980

B747 Korean Air Cargo INC-VIE on LETKI-BABKO

B757 Turkmenistan Airlines ASB-LHR on UL980

B777 Delta ATL-BOM on UL980

B777 SQ MAN-SIN on UL980

ContrailsUK thanks you for share photos with our group.

Greets and Merry Christmas :)

/Lumix LS-2+Yukon 20x50mm/

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Skystef wrote:
concordino wrote:@ SkystefThe PIA 310 has a similar tail scheme to one which landed at Stansted at around 15.00 GMT (UTC) yesterday. If the same bird, then it was AP-BGP - perhaps a new service ?
The tail color matches more closely than AP-BEU, so it was indeed AP-BGP. I suppose it was flight PK0787 on KHI-LHR, (recently A310s have been on this service), and as there were low clouds (and fog forecasted) I guess it diverted to STN with better wx conditions.
On December 26 another A310-300 of PK flew overhead BRU, found out it's PK773 enroute ISB-KCI and Stansted, seems indeed a new service which already started back in August 2006.

contrailwatcherUK wrote:Some of my favourite photos since I bought my new telescope (1200mm focal length)
What are your experiences with the new telescope? I saw on another forum it became a Celestron Star Hopper 6. Some technical info: Reflector of 6" diameter , 1219mm focal length , f/8 focal ratio. I have a refractor with f/12 focal ratio and I find it sometimes a bit dark. So my question: is an f/8 ratio light strong enough (also at dusk) in combination with the viewfinder of your DSLR? And what about the upside down images, typical for reflectors: do you use a erecting prism?
Last edited by Skystef on 16 Jan 2007, 16:42, edited 2 times in total.

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Bruspotter wrote:Hello

Skystef:

By the way if someone discovers that he lives unther that route (looooooots of LH 744, 330 , 340 ) please take some pics and get up early enough. I used to wake op at 8 to start watching the route from around 9 until as long as I could :D have seen so much ...really interesting route. Would be nice to see some pics of that one :P thx.

Best regards: Yannick ;)
Hello,

Also possible Amsterdam because Privat air flighs daily Amsterdam-Houston

EHAM

Post by EHAM »

tangolima wrote:Hello,

Don't think so. I can't imagine the KLM flight to IAH will fly through Belgian airspace.

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

EHAM wrote:
tangolima wrote:Hello,

Don't think so. I can't imagine the KLM flight to IAH will fly through Belgian airspace.
That one crossed my check list, its flight path of that particular day went (of course) straight to the west.