How to make good pictures: share your experience

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

icr5

Post by icr5 »

Avro wrote:I need some advice of some good photographers please :)

The following two pictures has been rejected for badquality on airliners.net :( but I would really like to see it in the DB.

Can some one tell me how I can improve the quality please ?

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/reje ... is_hnf.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/reje ... 04_hnf.jpg

Many thanks

Chris

Avro/Chris,

The links doesn't work. Do you use the correct link, because the rejected ones stay longer then just a few days. Was the reason for rejection" quality"? I got recently 2 rejections. I wouldn't appeal, but I think they were OK. You know, the screeners are humans as well ,they have bad days sometimes :wink:

Avro

Post by Avro »

icr5 wrote: Avro/Chris,

The links doesn't work. Do you use the correct link, because the rejected ones stay longer then just a few days. Was the reason for rejection" quality"? I got recently 2 rejections. I wouldn't appeal, but I think they were OK. You know, the screeners are humans as well ,they have bad days sometimes :wink:
Yes I used the correct links but those were rejections made last year in august. This means that they are no longer in the system.

Chris

icr5

Post by icr5 »

Avro wrote:
icr5 wrote: Avro/Chris,

Yes I used the correct links but those were rejections made last year in august. This means that they are no longer in the system.

Chris
Dude, I need to check my eyes ..........:) or maybe I'm still living in 2005

Devon Rex

Post by Devon Rex »

Hi there. First post on the forum here ;-)

I'm pretty new to planespotting... It just came as an idea to test my new Canon Powershot S3. And It's becoming a nice hobby. But the wheather hasn't been too nice lately. Anyway...

I'm not really keen of using my camera in any auto function. I mostly take pics in M or AV mode.

The best results I got so far are on ISO 80 / ISO 100 (higher gives TOO much noise). Aperture goes from 4.0 to 5.6 mostly and shutterspeed between 1/640 to 1/1000.

Last time I did some spotting was yesterdaymorning. Pretty difficult to get good results seen the clouds/no clouds/clouds... environment. I had to watch out for badly exposed pictures....

Thinking about trying to upload a pic to Airliners in the future, but I guess my material isn't of the expected quality to have some pics accepted there, seen their high quality standards.

Some example of bad exposure... The clouds in front of the sun make the plane look dark, while the clouds further on are bathing in sunlight :D

SA Cargo

This second one is much better.

Iberia

With some Photoshopping I can get a nice picture from this one IMO.

Over all, the S3 is a nice camera, but you have to watch out not to overexpose the pictures...

Maybe within a few months starting to think about a dSLR... probably a D50 ;)

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

Is there somebody who has experience with a polarisation filter? Is it also useable in worse light conditions, or isn't there enough light coming true?

thanks

rut-her

FANFLYER

Post by FANFLYER »

Goodevening,
I have another question :
=> What are the settings you all use on your camera with brilliant sunny weather and clear blue sky like today (29.11) to get nice and "clean" pictures ?
I am not speaking about ISO which in my case stays on 100 but I am talking about shutterspeed and aperture.
Those 2 things are still upsetting and confusing me...
Thanks in advance for answers.
Greetz, Karl

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

I shoot at 1/1500 - 1/2000 shutter speed and aperture of f8 or f9, but I use iso-400...

It depends on your lenses at which combination of shutter speed and aperture value you get the most sharp pictures

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

Hello everybody

I have a litte question. Is there anybody who uses a teleconvertor ? What is your experience with it? Does it give good results? Can you still use your autofocus?

thanks,

Rutger

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Im looking out for a DSLR

Which one should i go in for A Nikon or a Canon.

I have identified Canon 400 EOS with 18-55 mm as my lens.

Am open to suggestions :D
Aum Sweet Aum.

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

If you plan to go spotting with it, you should at least have 200mm.

Greetz,
Rutger

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

rut-her wrote:If you plan to go spotting with it, you should at least have 200mm.

Greetz,
Rutger
Am planning for the Canon EOS 400D as t comes with EFS 18-55. Should i go in for EF 75-300 also,

Please guide.

Can u suggest the lens i should use, if not these?
Aum Sweet Aum.

rut-her

Post by rut-her »

I used the 55-200 for about one year now, but I wasn't really satisfied; not enough zoom, soft towards the ends and a max f of 4.5-5.6.
Last month I bought the 70-300 IS. This one is much better and is sometimes considered as the hidden 'L' lens. The 75-300 is cheaper, but you have no IS and it produces very soft pictures when zooming is 200mm+.
You'll find a lot of reviews and comparisons about both lenses on the internet, it's surely worth reading them!

You can also consider a Sigma or Tamron, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy one of those. Once Canon, always Canon!!

Greetz,
Rutger

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

rut-her wrote:I used the 55-200 for about one year now, but I wasn't really satisfied; not enough zoom, soft towards the ends and a max f of 4.5-5.6.
Last month I bought the 70-300 IS. This one is much better and is sometimes considered as the hidden 'L' lens. The 75-300 is cheaper, but you have no IS and it produces very soft pictures when zooming is 200mm+.
You'll find a lot of reviews and comparisons about both lenses on the internet, it's surely worth reading them!

You can also consider a Sigma or Tamron, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy one of those. Once Canon, always Canon!!

Greetz,
Rutger
Thank u for the info, Rutger and i'll be back with more questions 8)
Aum Sweet Aum.

Malaysia

Re: How to make good pictures: share your experience

Post by Malaysia »

I'm going to buy a Canon SX110 IS ;)

Any suggestions?

Devon Rex

Post by Devon Rex »

Malaysia wrote:I'm going to buy a Canon SX110 IS ;)

Any suggestions?
Consider an SLR ;) they're not that expensive any more.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Malaysia wrote:I'm going to buy a Canon SX110 IS ;)

Any suggestions?
Compare it with the pana TZ5

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

What's an SLR? :oops:

And can i buy an Objective for it?, And how to i get it on it?

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Malaysia wrote:What's an SLR? :oops:

And can i buy an Objective for it?, And how to i get it on it?
Single lens reflex and yes, you can get an objective for it.

Malaysia

Post by Malaysia »

Any suggestions for the objective?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

you better search photo forums, the choice can be very complex ;)
it all depend on the money you have anyway