Spotting when you're a girl

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Ine

Spotting when you're a girl

Post by Ine »

Hello folks,

so I'm a girl, 17 years old, and I'd love to start spotting. There's only one problem. I don't think I have the right material. I have a Nikon D3200 with a 18-55mm lens. It's just a standard, unprofessional camera. I don't have money to buy a new camera, or a bigger lens. :? Is it possible to spot with my camera, or should I wait?

thanks! :D

quixoticguide

Re: Spotting when you're a girl

Post by quixoticguide »

It's even possible to spot without a camera. :)
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Ine wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 13:07 Hello folks,

so I'm a girl, 17 years old, and I'd love to start spotting. There's only one problem. I don't think I have the right material. I have a Nikon D3200 with a 18-55mm lens. It's just a standard, unprofessional camera. I don't have money to buy a new camera, or a bigger lens. :? Is it possible to spot with my camera, or should I wait?

thanks! :D
Hey Ine,

Welcome on aviation24.be !

A 18-55mm is already good but you can only go to spots like 127bis at Brussels, so really near to the airplanes...

You can already spot with your camera, don't forget the RAW mode, and then with the time, I'm sure you'll have money to have a bigger lens :D

Thibault
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Nikon make good cameras, even without a telelens you should be able to make some fine pictures. Then, as others have said, there's more to spotting than photography - if I were you (but you are young girl and I am a less young boy :) ) I'd rather go for a simple airband receiver than for a sophisticated camera.

Above all: do what you find fun in, and have fun in what you do! Enjoy!

PS myself use (rarely) a Nikon P610 - its zoom is so powerful that no tele is offered for it...

BelgianBoy

Post by BelgianBoy »

The use of Airband receiver is not allowed in Belgium.

Willy

jan_olieslagers

... except if one has the required documents. But even without those, plenty of spotters do.

Duke

Post by Duke »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 17:40 I'd rather go for a simple airband receiver than for a sophisticated camera.
With the flightradar24 app on a smartphone, you can already have a very good idea of the planes coming in to land... and this is perfectly legal!
Regards,

Duke

jan_olieslagers

... except those planes not thus equipped, which are often (to some spotters, at least) the most interesting.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

You can Always try to get a cheap second-hand telezoomlens. Shop around on the internet for a reliable camera store selling second hand lenses, but avoid Ebay.

Trainferry

Post by Trainferry »

As others wrote: you can start to spot without camera. Maybe it sounds crazy, but it isn't! This give you the time to learn a lot. Also it gives an idea what you like most. For example, I do like special liveries and most of all retro liveries.

Never forget: not only your material is important, also the person behind that material. I know some folks that create beautiful pictures with their smartphone!

And maybe most important: maybe the first shots will not be what you hoped for. Everybody needs to learn, you can improve yourself and your techniques by time.

Just 1 thing: I don't understand the title, spotting aircrafts is not just for men, everyone has the right to do so.