A jet P-51 Mustang?

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

pampa14

A jet P-51 Mustang?

Post by pampa14 »

Look at this! Did You know this rare and unusual version of the P-51 Mustang? The link below has some photos and a question: this version entered service or combat? To see all the pictures and answer the question above, please visit the link below and leave your comment.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br ... -jato.html

Best Regards!

smokejumper

Re: A jet P-51 Mustang?

Post by smokejumper »

Very interesting photos; I've never seen them before. I doubt these were "versions" of the P-51, but rather experimental aircraft (one-offs) intended gain data on jet engines. The US received a British designed Whittle jet engine in 1942 and it was copied (produced) by General Electric (and installed in the Bell P-59). The Whittle engine was an axial flow engine and rather fat; the engines shown on the P-51 are probably centrifugal engines as they are much smaller diameter. I'm guessing that these installations (on he P-51) are experimental installations intended to gain knowledge on engine performance and engine location (wing-tip vs. under-wing).

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Added to my above posting:

On second thought, these engines look very much like the V-1's pulse jet engines. Again, probably experimental installations to gain data.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Thank you Pampa/Jumper for pics and comments.

I never had more than a very basic control of Portuguese and at first I mistook the "jato", as in "Jet Aircraft", for JATO as in Jet Assisted Take Off.
Definitely the first pic with the V1 engines look to me as being "droppable" after take off.

Otherwise what can be achieved by the combination of a prop engine with these two pumps during flight?

H.A.