Belgian Defence retires a Falcon 20

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Belgian Defence retires a Falcon 20

Post by sn26567 »

The army retires an aircraft for which it cannot pay the heavy maintenance

The Belgian army is preparing to save money by withdrawing one of its transport aircraft, a 41-year old Mystère (Falcon) 20 that has exhausted its potential. This aircraft in service with the 15th Wing Air Transport returned this Sunday from a two-day mission in Jordan.

"It was the last time it was a night stop abroad," told one of the crew members, while the fate of this aircraft, registered CM-01, is still uncertain.

This Mystère 20E, a product of the French aircraft manufacturer Dassault, must indeed undergo a heavy maintenance ("D-check" in aviation jargon). But it is too costly in view of the aircraft's age - it was received on March 26, 1973 and therefore has more than 41 years, although it has undergone, like its twin, CM-02, a modernization in 2004 with the installation of more modern avionics and more powerful and more fuel-efficient engines.
CM-01 in Melsbroek 22SEP2014
CM-01 in Melsbroek 22SEP2014
Pending a decision on its fate, the aircraft will be stored in a hangar at the military airport in Melsbroek. Difficult to sell because of its age, it could serve as a spare parts store for its twin, which is soon to return from a D-check in Basel (Switzerland).

Defence is affected, as other federal departments, by savings decided by the government, and announced last month that its "white" aircraft fleet (for transporting passengers) - an Airbus A321, four Embraer, two Mystère 20 and a Falcon 900 - would experience a reduction in its flight plan by some 40% next year.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Airbus A330

Re: Belgian Defence retires a Falcon 20

Post by Airbus A330 »

Hello,
Can someone tell me how old is CM-02 :?:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Airbus A330 wrote:Can someone tell me how old is CM-02 :?:
CM-01 and CM-02 have been purchased together, hence I think they have the same age.
CM-02 at Melsbroek 22 Sep 2014
CM-02 at Melsbroek 22 Sep 2014
Edit: I got a confirmation from Wikipedia that both BAF Falcons 20E were operated since 1973:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Falcon_20
André
ex Sabena #26567

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Thanks, André! :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

By the way, the M in its CM-01 registration stands for Mystère. (The Embraers are registered CE-0x, the Hercules are registered CH-xx, it's just with the Falcon 900 that there is a mystery: CD-01).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

sn26567 wrote:By the way, the M in its CM-01 registration stands for Mystère. (The Embraers are registered CE-0x, the Hercules are registered CH-xx, it's just with the Falcon 900 that there is a mystery: CD-01).
Thanks! :) I didn't know that.

The "D" in CD is maybe for Dassault? ;)

Belgaviation

Post by Belgaviation »

That is indeed for Dassault. The military must be happy that their latest Airbus have been leased without having to imagine a new prefix... :P

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

If/when they take delivery of their A400Ms, they'll have to do it anyway.
No extra point for guessing what it will be. :)

BTW- what does the "C" stand for?

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

"C" for Component? ;)

I have a little question about the leased A321. For how long will it be operated :?:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

When I visited the 15th Wing, they told me in front of a C-130 Hercules that CH was for Cargo Hercules. But I cannot imagine our King being treated as cargo when he travels on board of CD-01 !
André
ex Sabena #26567

Ecam

Post by Ecam »

"C" for Component
C was already in use long before there was talk about Defence Components.

C stands for Cargo (actually all transport aircraft).
The Belgian Defence serial code is rather strange. Probably based on the USAFs post WWII Buzz number type coding, starting with the FS-coded F-84E. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_number

Currently they are F for Fighter (FA/FB > F-16A/B); CM(Mystère Falcon20), CD(Dassault F900), CH(Hercules), CE(Embraer) (CA Airbus 310, CS HS.748, CF Fairchild-Swearingen Merlin) for the transport fleet, RS for Rotorcraft SeaKing, RN for the NH90.
So staring in the eraly 70's, the first letter denotes the role of the aircraft, and second broadly the type.
Oddly enough, the codes for the trainers are the other way round. First letter is aircraft type (name), second is role.(again broadly to be interpreted): AT for Alpha jet Trainer, ST for SIAI Marchetti Trainer, as was MT for (Fouga) Magister Trainer.
Sailplanes are simply coded in the PL (planeur) range.
Ex Army helicopters lately only carried a one letter/2 number code. A for Alouette, H for Agusta A109 Hirundo
Police (formerly Gendarmerie) are coded in the G-range, as you may guess for Gendarmerie.
Outsiders are the Piper Cubs, that have codes in the LB-range, based on their USAF aircraft type designation of L-21B.
That's the Belgian "logic" behind this. At least from the 70's on there was some kind of logic to be found.

Wondering what the letter combo for the A400 will be.

Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Hello,
Can someone tell me how old is CM-02 :?:
CM01 was delivered in March '73 , CM02 followed in May.
So CM02 is almost 32 years old, but both were substantially updated some 10 years ago (new engines, avionics, interior)
Total Flt. hrs for CM01 is 16160.
Nice info about the subject on http://www.sbap.be/events/2015/001falco ... on2015.htm

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Guess you mean 42 years old!

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

So, the guy from 15W was right when he told me C was for Cargo.

As I mentioned before, our King will appreciate it to be considered as cargo :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Ecam wrote:
"C" for Component
C was already in use long before there was talk about Defence Components.

The Belgian Defence serial code is rather strange. Probably based on the USAFs post WWII Buzz number type coding, starting with the FS-coded F-84E. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_number

Currently they are F for Fighter (FA/FB > F-16A/B); CM(Mystère Falcon20), CD(Dassault F900), CH(Hercules), CE(Embraer) (CA Airbus 310, CS HS.748, CF Fairchild-Swearingen Merlin) for the transport fleet, RS for Rotorcraft SeaKing, RN for the NH90.
So staring in the eraly 70's, the first letter denotes the role of the aircraft, and second broadly the type.
Oddly enough, the codes for the trainers are the other way round. First letter is aircraft type (name), second is role.(again broadly to be interpreted): AT for Alpha jet Trainer, ST for SIAI Marchetti Trainer, as was MT for (Fouga) Magister Trainer.
Ex Army helicopters lately only carried a one letter/2 number code. A for Alouette, H for Agusta A109 Hirundo
Police (formerly Gendarmerie) are coded in the G-range, as you may guess for Gendarmerie.
Outsiders are the Piper Cubs, that have codes in the LB-range, based on their USAF aircraft type designation of L-21B.
That's the Belgian "logic" behind this. At least from the 70's on there was some kind of logic to be found.

Thank you very much, Ecam! ;)

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello

A BAF Falcon20 flew King Filip to Saudi Arabia (saw that yesterday evening on the VRT news)

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Ecam wrote: Wondering what the letter combo for the A400 will be.
If only they had kept the codename Grizzly (which sounds better than Atlas anyway, in my opinion), the designation would have been easy: CG. Now it could be CA, but then they'd have to "reuse" the Airbus A310 code, not sure if that is an option.
Thomas

Ecam

Post by Ecam »

tangolima wrote:Hello

A BAF Falcon20 flew King Filip to Saudi Arabia (saw that yesterday evening on the VRT news)

Greetings,
The Falcon 900 was used, not the F.20.

punde

Post by punde »

Anyone info where she was heading on 12/2 :?:
Attachments
EBBR20150212 CM-01s.jpg

SeeLiner

Post by SeeLiner »

Ecam wrote:
"C" for Component
Male Extra was already in use long before there was talk about Defence Components.

The Belgian Defence serial code is rather strange. Probably based on the USAFs post WWII Buzz number type coding, starting with the FS-coded F-84E.

What did they replace the Falcon 20 with? Also did they sell the old ones to private buyers or something? I've always wondered what happens to these planes that get replaced.
Last edited by SeeLiner on 23 Mar 2020, 13:23, edited 5 times in total.