Insurance against cancelled flights possible? (non-EU airline)

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Sai

Insurance against cancelled flights possible? (non-EU airline)

Post by Sai »

Hello,
I have a question for the experienced travelers:

I was wondering if it’s possible to insure or protect yourself for the costs as a result from a cancelled flight. I tend to think I’m a prepared traveler and have a year-round travel insurance and cancellation insurance for my non-work related flights.

It was only after reading this article (Dutch) and watching the news about pax stranded in JFK for days due to exceptional circumstances (weather) I was a little bit shocked to learn that your travel insurance does not cover costs for a prolonged stay (hotel, clothes, transport, etc) of a non-EU airline due to exceptional circumstances (e.g. snow storm). The airline is only responsible for refunding your ticket or booking you a seat on the next possible flight. That’s it.

EU registered airlines are bound by the EU directive and must offer in such case on top of the above food & drinks, hotel, etc…but no additional compensation whenever it’s due to an exceptional circumstances. Non-EU airlines are not bound by this directive, so it’s up to their liking to offer you food, hotel, costs…But you can imagine if thousands of pax are stranded at the same time…

So let’s say I’m a family of four flying with Delta from JFK or China Airlines from PEK and I’m stranded in the airport due to a storm for 4 days and my baggage is already sent home (like what happened with losts of pax in JFK). The airline refuses to book us a hotel, mealvouchers, etc… I’ve got to come up with money to book (expensive) hotelrooms, food, drinks, clothes etc…easily € 1000 within a few days…

Is there any insurance possible? You have extensive cancellation insurances…but only if you cancel yourself.

I checked VAB, Europ Assistance, Touring, Protections and none of them seem to cover such costs whenever it’s due to exceptional circumstances.

Any tips, experiences :?:
Thanks

sn26567

Re: Insurance against cancelled flights possible? (non-EU airline)

Post by sn26567 »

Mapfré (formerly l'Européenne), considered by many as the best travel insurance, reimburses up to €65 per day for a maximum of 5 days in case of closure of airspace due to natural meteorological events.

They pay up to €125 per day for a maximum of 10 days in case of natural catastrophes such fire, flood, ...

They also reimburse the costs of flight modifications (economy class).

All with the justification of course.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sai

Post by Sai »

Some have a similar offer e.g. Touring...but if you read the small letters...
snow, storm,tornado's, fog etc (which create a cancelled flight) are not considered a natural or catastrophic disaster...so an ashcloud would be covered or considered a closed airspace event but the snowstorm in JFK this week not...
Also €65 is not that much...given the costs can quickly get very high
Mapfré terms & conditions are not yet available online, so can't really check, but I'll keep it in mind.

Pretty bizar it's not a readily available insurance...

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Normally, easy to find, surely for corporate....
Mapfre, Assudis nroamlly without problem.
the cheapest solution is to subscribe an annual contract...
Contact your insurance broker, he will find the best solution

Sai

Post by Sai »

It's indeed a private insurance I'm looking for. I have an annual travel insurance, just like some of the people blocked at JFK...
But they were told by their insurance that a cancellation due to exceptional circumstances is not included...only when it's considered a natural disaster...and a snowstorm is not qualified as such.
Airbus330lover wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 16:56 Normally, easy to find, surely for corporate....
Mapfre, Assudis nroamlly without problem.
the cheapest solution is to subscribe an annual contract...
I Read the conditions of Assudis travel insurance Excellence....and not included either...