Sabena

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Sabena

Post by lumumba »

There is no topic about Sabena so I figure it's good to start one.

I Have a question on some posters from the 60s it's written Belgian World Airlines.
On the older posters it's Belgian airlines.
When did it change from Belgian Airlines to Belgian World airlines?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

nordikcam

Re: Sabena

Post by nordikcam »

I always knew it as Belgian World airlines...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena started using the name Sabena Belgian World Airlines when it resumed services after WWII in 1946. It took the name Sabena World Airlines in 1990.
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 18:06 Sabena started using the name Sabena Belgian World Airlines when it resumed services after WWII in 1946. It took the name Sabena World Airlines in 1990.
Are you sure about that because that's the information I found also on one site.
But I collect posters from SABENA and till end 50s it's only mentioned ligne aérienne belge or Belgian Airlines...and the same in Dutch.
The World in between is apairing only after end 50s?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

All of that is only cosmetics, marketing, blahblah. Nothing to do with aviation.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 19:54 All of that is only cosmetics, marketing, blahblah. Nothing to do with aviation.
Why not true this is part of OUR history in aviation :evil:
Who Are you to judge what is about aviation or not!!!!!

lara1921

Post by lara1921 »

Hi all, what I know (but subject to ... !) Sabena modified his livery as from Summer 1956 and added 'Belgian World Airlines' below the 'coat of arms' divided in 4 parts, 3 for the Belgian flag (black, yellow, red) and one blue with a star for Congo. Later, after 30jun60 (independence of Congo), the start was suppressed. This logo was used up to 1972. In Mar-92, Sabena adopted new statutes and the concept of Sabena Belgian World Airlines was abandoned. So, in a way, it was branding but reflecting the pride of a country for its national carrier.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

lara1921 wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 17:18 Hi all, what I know (but subject to ... !) Sabena modified his livery as from Summer 1956 and added 'Belgian World Airlines' below the 'coat of arms' divided in 4 parts, 3 for the Belgian flag (black, yellow, red) and one blue with a star for Congo. Later, after 30jun60 (independence of Congo), the start was suppressed. This logo was used up to 1972. In Mar-92, Sabena adopted new statutes and the concept of Sabena Belgian World Airlines was abandoned. So, in a way, it was branding but reflecting the pride of a country for its national carrier.
Thx Lara1921
This looks more logica to me..on a the old advertising from the 40s and 50s it's never written World.

What I alsof discovered but I'm not completely sure is that on the International advertising they write Belgian World Airlines but not on the advertising for the Belgian market in Dutch or French after 56 obviously.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Though the company allways was called "Sabena" nv/sa, it also had a name in Dutch. From ??/??/???? (at least in 1983) till somewhere in 1993, the official company name was bilingual: in French, the official name was simply the acronyme S.A. "Sabena". In Dutch, it was not nv Sabena, but nv "Belgische Vennootschap tot Exploitatie van het Luchtverkeer". Translation of, indeed, Société Anonyme Belge d'Exploitation et de Navigation Aérienne.

Stij

Post by Stij »

lara1921 wrote: 15 Nov 2017, 17:18 Hi all, what I know (but subject to ... !) Sabena modified his livery as from Summer 1956 and added 'Belgian World Airlines' below the 'coat of arms' divided in 4 parts, 3 for the Belgian flag (black, yellow, red) and one blue with a star for Congo. Later, after 30jun60 (independence of Congo), the start was suppressed. This logo was used up to 1972. In Mar-92, Sabena adopted new statutes and the concept of Sabena Belgian World Airlines was abandoned. So, in a way, it was branding but reflecting the pride of a country for its national carrier.
Hi Lara1921!

Welcome to Aviation24!

Cheers,

Stij