Turboprop for long distance airliners

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

jan_olieslagers

Turboprop for long distance airliners

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Long time ago, Loftleidir were succesful through their very low fares, yet they made a profit. They initially operated Bristol Brittania turboprop airliners. Looking at today's options for petrol burning engines, I should think

* piston engines like on the DC7 and Constellation are insufficiently reliable, and very demanding on maintenance; even if such engines could again be produced in sufficient volumes;

* piston engines also produce lots of vibration, detrimental to passenger comfort

* however I understand turboprops are inherently more fuel-efficient than pure jets

* there were very few turboprop long-range airliners, I can only think of the Brittania and the Tu-114, the last being unthinkable today for its very high noise levels

* a major hindrance might be psychological: I repeatedly heard of passengers refusing to fly on propeller planes, considering them antiquated.

But what would be the objective arguments? Is there (today again, like in the 1950's) a market for a turboprop powered long-range airliner? If the fuel economy is real I think there should be. Market could of course be extended by military variants like air tankers, long endurance maritime patrol &c.

cathay belgium

Re: Turboprop for long distance airliners

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Maybe it is but the market in reality overrules every other rule...
LCC longhaul is a reality now,.. So forget it!
People won't pay a bit less for less comfort !
I flew the dash8 air Baltic to Riga ;)
Prefer Ryanair B738 by far !
I talked to a travel used Belgian olympic Red Bullet and when I was talking to her she said she really flew last time a really really old she tought Sovjet aircraft while we we're on a LOT 22 years old B737-400 !
She showed me a pic of a LOT Dash8 7 years old !
LCC long haul by prop ? Guess not anymore during my life ....
CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Turbo-props are slower and the prop noise (in the cabin) is not too relaxing.

regi

Post by regi »

I do not think that development will go back to piston engines for long distance aircraft. Not even the diesel engines.
Neither do I think that traditional turbo props will be used. Despite the use of tp in the A400.

But it is possible that the open rotor engine or propfan will be further develloped for use on medium distance aircraft.
I don't think that we will see long distance aircraft with 4 engines again for the next decades. The A380 will probably be the last production airplane for long distance passenger flights, next to the last deliveries of 747-800 and the Il-96.

-a bit off topic: I still believe that LNG powered aircraft will be reconsidered. Because of the design of cryogenic tanks and the equipment to go from liquid to gas, you automatically need a pretty large airframe.