How to name Brussels Airport ?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Boavida

Re: BRU infrastructure: future

Post by Boavida »

Since I couldn't find a 'general' Brussels Airport topic, I'll post it here (although is isn't directly about the infrastructure):

Last week I had a discussion with some other aviation geeks ( ;) ) about the following: why doesn't BRU have an official name? Practically all airports have a specific name:

- Amsterdam Schiphol
- Paris Charles De Gaulle
- New York John F Kennedy
- Mardid Barajas
- London Heathrow
- Paris Le Bourget
- London Gatwick
- Stockholm Arlanda
- Rome Fiumicino
- Berlin Tegel
- etc....

And BRU?

It's called Brussels Airport ...

Just wondering; why was there never chosen to give the airport an official name? Today the name is just Brussels Airport. While in Brussels there are road signs indicating 'Brussel-Nationaal', 'Bruxelles-National'. To add to the confusion, on the highway the signs are 'Zaventem'... Talking about confusion, there's even a 'second' Brussels Airport, called Charleroi or South (I know people traveling from BRU or CRL and went to the wrong airport...) Would't it be a good thing to give BRU a distinct name?

Brussels National maybe? Or Brussels Zaventem? Or something new?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Charleroi North?
Hasselt West?

Better wait till tomorrow to announce this ;)

H.A.

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

Most other airports in your list do have multiple airport serving one city, they need to have something in their name that differentiates them.

Is there really a need to have "Brussels Zaventem Airport" is their official name? BRU used to be known as "Zaventem" by the large public (and it is still being called that by many people, I think it used to be the official name until a couple of decades ago).

Charleroi only became known as "Brussels South" when Ryanair started operating there, in collaboration with the operator of the airport. It can be confusing, but don't blame BRU for that.
Last edited by DeltaWiskey on 31 Mar 2017, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Boavida wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 17:22Brussels National maybe? Or Brussels Zaventem? Or something new?
Hello,
"Brussels National" is the official name of the airport but it became less & less known (and displayed) across the years in favour of the commercial? name "Brussels Airport".

I agree that different road signs for the same location is also a Belgian story if we may call it so... :lol:

Road signs "Zaventem with a plane pictogram" would have been perfect for a little air field but it looks "cheap" for an international airport. :?

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

Boavida wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 17:22
And BRU?

It's called Brussels Airport ...

Just wondering; why was there never chosen to give the airport an official name? Today the name is just Brussels Airport. While in Brussels there are road signs indicating 'Brussel-Nationaal', 'Bruxelles-National'. To add to the confusion, on the highway the signs are 'Zaventem'... Talking about confusion, there's even a 'second' Brussels Airport, called Charleroi or South (I know people traveling from BRU or CRL and went to the wrong airport...) Would't it be a good thing to give BRU a distinct name?

Brussels National maybe? Or Brussels Zaventem? Or something new?
I guess this is a problem specific to Belgium (ahum, ahum):
- an airport on Flanders' soil
- a name it suggests it's elsewhere (although Brussels itself is merely some meters/kilometers away)
- an airport that's owned by a Canadian fund, an Australian company, Brussels Airport Company (former BIAC) itself and the Belgian state

They choose Brussels Airport some years ago, mid 2000 I guess, to try to stop the confusion by all the other ones (Zaventem, Brussels National, ...) and with the one in Charleroi.

Do you have some suggestions?
What about Brussels Sandra Kim International Airport? Or Brussels Haren?

Roadsigns: there are still roadsigns from before 1958 to be found in and around Brussels. No wonder there!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Why make things complicated? Brussels Airport is clear enough, methinks. And there are other examples: Dublin Airport, Munich Airport, Frankfurt Airport, Göteborg, ...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

sn26567 wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 18:33 Why make things complicated? Brussels Airport is clear enough, methinks. And there are other examples: Dublin Airport, Munich Airport, Frankfurt Airport, Göteborg, ...
André: Göteborg is not a valid example. The name of the airport is Göteborg-Landvetter airport.
(city airport only closed down in recent years due to runwayproblems)

PS: I agree it should be given a second namepart. Brussels airport Zaventem for example.
The confusion with travellers is big. Last time had to direct an inbound girl in Charleroi who was looking for the sheraton airport hotel. As she was booked another ticket to fly out in the morning. Till i explained her it was another airport 50 KM away. (not very pleasant)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Boavida wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 17:22 Since I couldn't find a 'general' Brussels Airport topic, I'll post it here (although is isn't directly about the infrastructure):
Last week I had a discussion with some other aviation geeks ( ;) ) about the following: why doesn't BRU have an official name? Practically all airports have a specific name:
- Amsterdam Schiphol
- Paris Charles De Gaulle
- New York John F Kennedy
- Mardid Barajas
- London Heathrow
- Paris Le Bourget
- London Gatwick
- Stockholm Arlanda
- Rome Fiumicino
- Berlin Tegel
- etc....

And BRU? It's called Brussels Airport ...

Just wondering; why was there never chosen to give the airport an official name? Today the name is just Brussels Airport. While in Brussels there are road signs indicating 'Brussel-Nationaal', 'Bruxelles-National'. To add to the confusion, on the highway the signs are 'Zaventem'... Talking about confusion, there's even a 'second' Brussels Airport, called Charleroi or South (I know people traveling from BRU or CRL and went to the wrong airport...) Would't it be a good thing to give BRU a distinct name? Brussels National maybe? Or Brussels Zaventem? Or something new?
I would go for "Zaventem" them. Even some Dutch (NL) press knows "Zaventem":
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/2792 ... tem__.html

The article is about a Dutch crook who fled to Turkey two years ago, and who was arrested at "Zaventem" last week, by Belgian police.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

According to the AIP, it is indeed Brussels-National. Not that that name is used often, though.
The "commercial name" of the airport is indeed just Brussels Airport.
Thomas

Airbus A330

How to name Brussels Airport ?

Post by Airbus A330 »

KriVa wrote: 03 Apr 2017, 15:24According to the AIP, it is indeed Brussels-National. Not that that name is used often, though.
The "commercial name" of the airport is indeed just Brussels Airport.
Thanks, KriVa! ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

ch-aviation also uses Brussels-National.
André
ex Sabena #26567