Noise abatement by reducing power just after take-off

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Stij

Noise abatement by reducing power just after take-off

Post by Stij »

Good afternoon,

I have a question for the pro's here:

A couple of years ago when climbing out of Newark I remember that just after take-off the power of the engines was considerably reduced until we were above water for noise abatement reasons.

I "think" I never experienced this in Brussels or Charleroi.

Do we have this in Belgium?
Could it be something to calm the Nimby's.. a bit?

Cheers,

Stij

Homo Aeroportus

Re: Noise abatement by reducing power just after take-off

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Hi Stij,

Procedure out of EBBR as per AIP :
EBBR AD2.21 Noise Abatement Procedures.

4.3 Noise Abatement Take-off and Climb Procedures
The following operational noise abatement take-off procedures must be applied for outbound flights:
For turbo-jet aircraft:
• from take-off to 1700FT QNH:
• take-off power;
• take-off flaps;
• climb to V2 + 10 to 20KT or as limited by body angle;

• at 1700FT QNH:
• reduce thrust to not less than climb thrust;

• from 1700FT QNH to 3200FT QNH:
• climb at V2 + 10 to 20KT;

• at 3200FT QNH:
• accelerate smoothly to en-route climb speed with flaps retraction.

Nothing could possibly cool down the Nimbys. Remember they even lit up candles on the sides of the canal "so that the pilot could see and follow the path". :roll:

Only procedure that applies to them is BANANA.

H.A.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

As a general rule, I was taught to climb as fast and as much as possible - both for safety ("speed is security, height is life insurance") and for noise abatement. But of course, local procedures will prevail over general principles, and also I fly a very humble craft, not an airliner.

I'd not like to have to fly as described in the AIP - feels too much like mother-in-law looking over the shoulder :) I am glad to leave that style of flying to the young professional sky-gods! Still, thanks to H.A. for pointing the right way - the AIP is indeed the source and mother of all wisdom, aviationwise.

Omychron

Post by Omychron »

HA explained quite well.

By the way, it is perfectly possible that you will notice an increase of thrust at 1700ft.
This is because take-off thrust at lower weights is sometimes so low (long runway available at BRU), that the "climb thrust" mentioned in the AIP is actually higher, resulting in an increased thrust setting.

Also, keep in mind that flying at a low thrust setting until above the water isn't an option in BRU. ;)
As such, flying with a low thrust setting for a too long time isn't necessarily better for noise abatement, as climb performance is too low.