Planning of petition "retro livery"

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Yuqu12

Planning of petition "retro livery"

Post by Yuqu12 »

Hello all,

I have been thinking about this idea for quite a long time, but before I start I would like to know whether there is a base that is big enough to realize something. As Brussels Airlines has painted the OO-SNB in the tintin livery and is working on a Red Devils and Magritte livery, I thought: why woudln't they paint one of their planes into the old Sabena livery (yes yes, I know they aren't quite the same).

That is why I would like to start a petition to ask SN to paint one of their planes in the good, old Sabena livery. I was only 5 years old when Sabena went bankrupt and I had family working there. If you hear them talk, it was a great time. Wouldn't it be great then for those persons to see a plane one more time in this good old livery? I really would like to see this once in my life!

I personnaly think that SN won't do this by themselve, because they really want to develop as a Belgian airline without taking the history into account (develop in the future, don't look back to the history), so perhaps if there are enough people who want so, they get convinced to do so.

So now my question: if I would start a petition, would you sign it and/or try to convince your friends, family etc. to singn this petition.

With kind regards,
Yuqu12

Stij

Re: Planning of petition "retro livery"

Post by Stij »

Welcome Yunqu12!

Isn't there a Caravelle in the aviation museum in Brussels in Sabena's colours?

Cheers,

Stij

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Hy Stij,

I think this is correct, but wouldn't it be much much better that, for example, the OO-SND is painted in Sabena colours?

Stij

Post by Stij »

And there she is!

http://www.airmuseum.be/aircraftondispl ... avelle.jpg

Well, I'm sorry, but they're not the same company and the name is totally different... so I personally think... not.

If they would change their name to Sabena (discussed a zillion time here), then it would be a great idea!!!

Cheers,

Stij

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

They are indeed not the same, but you can't deny that Brussels Airlines has still the benefits from Sabena (Africa route, for example). And if I am not mistaken is Brussels Airlines the result of a fusion between the holding behind DAT (doughter company of Sabena) and the holding behind Virgin Express? So there is still a link between Brussels Airlines and Sabena!!

Kind regards,
Yuqu12

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Having myself worked for Sabena I find it a great idea. The task would indeed be difficult as I think that the current management will oppose a fierce resistance. Therefore it will be necessary to find powerful allies : why not contact former Sabeniens in the first place?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

sn26567 wrote:Having myself worked for Sabena I find it a great idea. The task would indeed be difficult as I think that the current management will oppose a fierce resistance. Therefore it will be necessary to find powerful allies : why not contact former Sabeniens in the first place?
That is indeed a good idea. Too bad I'm only 20, so I don't really know someone who worked for Sabena (except for the people in "Het Leven zoals het is: de luchthaven". I wouldn't know who to ask...

ExSabena

Post by ExSabena »

As an ex CCM of Sabena I will never support this idea. Still hurting me to see Sabena logo. I lost a part of the most beautiful part of my life this sad 7th November 2001. To see a Sabena airplane taking off from BRU will certainly hurt a lot of my colleagues of all Sabena departments .... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Maybe Brussels Airlines could start an 'aviation heritage' project, just as American Airlines has done?
Then it would make perfect sense to repaint an Airbus in a vintage sixties retro Sabena livery.

American Airlines has a total of nine 'Heritage' planes:
- AirCal
- Allegheny
- America West
- America's retro jet
- PSA
- Piedmont
- Reno Air
- TWA
- US Airways

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Nice idea... but no Sabena livery for me.. as the resistance will be indeed big with certain people...
So a livery must have a postive reaction to all people, else it won't be a good idea,...
Just an S-tail would be enough as a retro livery..like in the SN Brussels Airlines times ;)
Maybe if the fleet would grow to 100 planes or so... but then also DAT and a red Virgin one,
but as there could be confusion with other companies... likely not...
They started with Red Devils,Margritte, Kuifje ,...
Guess the next ones will be in the same Belgian idea... chocolat or waffles maybe !

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Apuneger wrote:Maybe Brussels Airlines could start an 'aviation heritage' project, just as American Airlines has done?
Then it would make perfect sense to repaint an Airbus in a vintage sixties retro Sabena livery.

American Airlines has a total of nine 'Heritage' planes:
- AirCal
- Allegheny
- America West
- America's retro jet
- PSA
- Piedmont
- Reno Air
- TWA
- US Airways

Best regards,
Ivan
That is also a good idea :D instead of only one, all different sorts of liveries :D

Lenoest

Post by Lenoest »

Another tricky aspect is the fact that sabena is actually the name of two existing companies, not related (and sometimes in competition) to Brussels Airlines : Sabena Technics, and Sabena Aerospace. Branding an aircraft with someone else's name is delicate, isn't it ?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

What about after 15 years stop whining about the whole sabena thing and give up on it? Im all for a retro livery, but there's only one that would suit Brussels airlines and that is the original Brussels airlines one .... With the S tail

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

sean1982 wrote:What about after 15 years stop whining about the whole sabena thing and give up on it? Im all for a retro livery, but there's only one that would suit Brussels airlines and that is the original Brussels airlines one .... With the S tail
This is a good idea. Just have the S tail

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

And the yellow/orange line. I liked it :)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Consult the www for pictures of OO-FCL or her sister planes, if you wish to see S-tails. Or, of course, visit friendly EBGB aerodrome.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Yuqu12, your enthusiasm for this S-tail project is admirable.
However,SABENA is the past. Many of its current customers don't care of nostalgia and are just interested in getting from one place to the other in a safe and affordable way.
I also spent some time with SN and enjoyed it very much,but I would not sign a petition to get an s-tail on the tail of what is in fact another company.

diddi

Post by diddi »

I think it would be nice to see this again.. (but I`m just an old and sentimental planespotter...)

diddi

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Very nice indeed. My first Sabena flight was on a Caravelle, one of the most elegant aircraft ever!
André
ex Sabena #26567

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

I they bring back the Caravelle i'm PRO this idea. :-)
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com