Qatar Airways condemned

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Qatar Airways condemned

Post by airazurxtror »

The labour arm of the United Nations on Tuesday urged Qatar Airways to end discriminatory contracts that allow the airline to fire cabin crew for becoming pregnant.

According to a statement by the International Labour Organisation Qatar Airways “reserves the right to automatically terminate your contract as a flying cabin crew member should you become pregnant”.
The company also reserves the right to fire you if try to hide or fail to disclose your pregnancy.

The ILO said the airline is breaching an almost 60-year-old convention against discrimination. The 1956 convention has been ratified by 172 countries including Qatar where it is in force.

The ILO launched an investigation after receiving a string of complaints from airline staff.

The Geneva-based body has also urged Qatar Airways to review a policy that prohibits female staff members from being dropped off by a man who is not a relative – a practice Qatar Airways has defended for being a “a cultural norm”.

- See more at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/un-qa ... jyWWX.dpuf

Qatar Airways Chief Executive Akbar Al Baker on Tuesday accused the International Labour Organization (ILO) of having a "vendetta" against Qatar and its state carrier after the U.N. agency called for it to stop discriminating against women staff.
"I don't give a damn about the ILO - I am there to run a successful airline," Al Baker told Reuters at an aviation show in Paris when asked about the ILO ruling.

A charming company to work for !
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

b-west

Re: Qatar Airways condemned

Post by b-west »

Qatar is really making a name for itself... Alleged corruption for the world cup, the daily deaths at the construction yards, where the workers are basically modern slaves and now this very woman unfriendly policy at Qatar airways...jolly

regi

Post by regi »

A company with such kind of contracts deserves it to encounter employees with a tummy who bluntly deny to be pregnant. :lol:
And if forced to provide a non-pregnant certificate, a lawyer could ask what "pregnant" legally means according Qatari legislation. I refer hereby to the abbortion legislation ( in most countries) which had great problems with this specific subject: what is a foetus ? what is pregnant?
By the way, being pregnant 3 months , getting fired, having a miss carriage afterwards: what than? Is the contract reinstated?

My bad mind almost hopes that this old sod has a daughter who gets pregnant by a undesired immigrant worker, and is dropped off by somebody looking like a man, but is in fact the daughter's transgender girlfriend.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

b-west wrote:Qatar is really making a name for itself... Alleged corruption for the world cup, the daily deaths at the construction yards, where the workers are basically modern slaves and now this very woman unfriendly policy at Qatar airways...jolly
Qatar is just a useless hump of sand, like the UAE... I know of a flight attendant at Etihad having been fired for being a single mother. Backwards countries, backwards culture... A blown out of proportion overhyped bubble which nearly snapped at the latest great depression. One day it will al be over for the sjeiks and their puppets on a string in the West...

regi

Post by regi »

but we like their dollars ;)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Qatar Airways says it will stop sacking women who get pregnant

Women working with Qatar Airways will not be sacked anymore if they get pregnant or marry within the first five years of employment. The airline company relaxed its rules after pressure from international labor groups.
The policies included air hostesses losing their jobs if they became pregnant or married within the first five years of employment.
Under the new rules, female employees who were going to have babies would be offered temporary jobs. Staff could also get married after notifying the company.

More than 9,000 cabin crew operate Qatar Airways' planes around the world. Nearly 80 percent of these are women, who have to organize their lives around their company's strict laws.

One of these includes a rule according to which female employees can be picked up from work only by their father, brothers or husband. Qatar Airways is not easing this restriction for now.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.