Finnair to outsource c/c

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Finnair to outsource c/c

Post by airazurxtror »

Finnair has signed an agreement with the Norwegian crew management company OSM Aviation on outsourcing its cabin services.
The company will provide cabin services for Finnair’s routes to Hong Kong and Singapore - on the first phase, says the Finnair press release.
Finnair is planning to outsource cabin crews on 20 routes in the near future. OSM Aviation is going to recruit all new personnel from Hong Kong and Singapore. Salaries will be paid according to levels in these countries.

The cabin staff will be based at OSM Aviation’s Asian locations. The company has offices in Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai as well as in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, the US and around Europe.
Finnair said it would push ahead with outsourcing after cost-cutting negotiations with Finnish cabin crew collapsed last spring.

The crews on Finnair’s East Asian flights are now split roughly 50/50 between Finnish and Asian employees. The two groups have different types of contracts.
“The Chinese workers only make about 1,000 euros a month at best. We can’t compete with that kind of wage scale,” says Åkers, head of the Finnish Cabin Crew Union..
Last year, Statistics Finland estimated that the average wage-earner’s monthly salary in Finland was 3109 euros.

http://heikkijokinen.info/en/trade-unio ... -employees
http://www.air-journal.fr/2014-09-15-fi ... 15083.html
http://yle.fi/uutiset/finnair_outsource ... es/7445328
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Re: Finnair to outsource c/c

Post by sn26567 »

See also here (reported on 1 September): viewtopic.php?p=304659#p304659
André
ex Sabena #26567

roxelgestiada

Post by roxelgestiada »

Outsourcing can be very helpful not just for the owners of the company but for the whole business itself. It provides the same results only with lesser expenses. No wonder a lot of businesses are turning to this trend nowadays. Just to give you an information about it, here's an informative article; http://www.blog.infinit-o.com/outsourci ... ductivity/ Enjoy reading! :)

roxelgestiada

Post by roxelgestiada »

I believe that it was a good decision by Finnair. Aside from it will make their workload a little bit lighter. Outsourcing one's business is also beneficial financially speaking. The point is, you will be able to accomplish the same number of tasks (or more) without spending too much money. :)

nawaz

Post by nawaz »

Finnair has signed an agreement with the Norwegian crew management company OSM Aviation on outsourcing its cabin services.
The company will provide cabin services for Finnair’s routes to Hong Kong and Singapore - on the first phase, says the Finnair press release.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Well, they should also look into outsourcing their shorthaul CC's as well.

On my last flight with them last week, the CC simply forgot to serve me my stupid free half glass of blueberry juice (BRU-HEL is 2,5 hours btw, 3 hours if you add their usual delays). She served my neighbor so loudly that I woke up from my sleep. I had to look at her serving the neighbor a mountain worth of purchased salads and drinks for over 5 minutes with an unnecessarily loud voice, then she simply turned around to serve the other side of the aisle, and moved to the back. :shock:

AY is so far the worst airline I have taken in a long time. Their CC's are often amateurs (I've got more very weird experiences that will follow in detailed TR's) and all you get on 2-3 hours of connecting flight is a half-full 150ml cup of blueberry juice or water. Not even peanuts.
All the rest is for sale and it's expensive.

In addition, their flights to/from BRU are consistently delayed for no reason at all, as boarding is completed on time. 3 out of 3 flights this month alone should be enough to say that it's systematic.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Flanker2 wrote:Well, they should also look into outsourcing their shorthaul CC's as well. On my last flight with them last week, the CC simply forgot to serve me my stupid free half glass of blueberry juice (BRU-HEL is 2,5 hours btw, 3 hours if you add their usual delays). She served my neighbor so loudly that I woke up from my sleep. I had to look at her serving the neighbor a mountain worth of purchased salads and drinks for over 5 minutes with an unnecessarily loud voice, then she simply turned around to serve the other side of the aisle, and moved to the back. AY is so far the worst airline I have taken in a long time. Their CC's are often amateurs (I've got more very weird experiences that will follow in detailed TR's) and all you get on 2-3 hours of connecting flight is a half-full 150ml cup of blueberry juice or water. Not even peanuts. All the rest is for sale and it's expensive. In addition, their flights to/from BRU are consistently delayed for no reason at all, as boarding is completed on time. 3 out of 3 flights this month alone should be enough to say that it's systematic.
Usual delays - consistently delayed? I think that Luchtzak owes an apology to Finnair for the above post. Figures indeed proof that Finnair has an extremely good track record for punctuality:

FlightStats.com 2013 OPS Awards, category Major Airline Network – Mainline and Regional Flights, Top On-time Arrival Performance in 2013:
1 JL Japan Airlines : 89.75%
2 AY Finnair : 89.73%
3 KL KLM : 89.67%
4 CM Copa Airlines : 88.23%
5 AS Alaska Airlines : 88.15%
6 NH ANA : 88.02%
7 SK SAS : 86.66%
8 LH Lufthansa : 84.81%
9 NZ Air New Zealand : 84.00%
10 AZ Alitalia : 83.65%

http://flightstats.com/company/flightst ... announced/

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

You've got to be kidding me right? I'm the paying passenger so AY should apologise to me. I don't give a damn about their past punctuality record.

I've got 3 more flights with them this year and I'm not looking forward to them.

I'll tell you more: I'll take a Ryanair flight any day rather than a AY flight. I've never seen a cabin crew "forget" to serve a passenger that's looking at their face.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Flanker2 wrote:You've got to be kidding me right? I'm the paying passenger so AY should apologise to me. I don't give a damn about their past punctuality record.
Your "experiences" are totally completely contradicted by facts. FlightStats.com proofs that their routing BRU-HEL-BRU has a superb punctuality. You wrote that they always have at least half an hour delay? Well, I've checked some of their recent flights and zero to five minutes is about the average. Actually, believe it or not, but I have flown Finnair four times very recently (can't reveal when and why because it has something to do with national security). Each of my flights were splendid, with very lovely and friendly crew.
Flanker2 wrote:I've got 3 more flights with them this year and I'm not looking forward to them. I'll tell you more: I'll take a Ryanair flight any day rather than a AY flight.
I don't give a damn about your "experience". My experiences are confirmed by Startrax who gives them a four star grading:
http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/AY.htm

You don't have to repeat your admiration for Ryanair - it's known very well by now. I personally will only take a Ryanair flight when I'm stuck on a Island and a cholera outbreak happens there (and no other flights or ferries are available).

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Actually check this page out: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ay817/

Many flights arrive with a delay. STA is gate arrival time. In BRU you need to count 10 more minutes for taxiing after landing. If you take that into account, many of their flights are late.

You can sit on your knees and beg AY for their forgiveness if you want. I won't stop you.

My neighbor and I on the JL flight we connected on happened to have the same opinion about AY. The guy had to endure 3 hours on their Recaro massage chairs, with his single cup of water right in the middle of lunch time. We joked about how ridiculous it was.

I don't even want to try their longhaul flights. Given their shorthaul treatment, I can't imagine what kind of hell that must be. I'd rather pay 50 euro more to be on a JL flight.

What a joke.

White Light

Post by White Light »

I'm not a frequent traveller on AY. My most recent flight with them was in C class BRU HEL BRU about two years ago.
Service on the outbound journey was excellent. It was horrible on the inbound flight. Probably, AY is one of those airline with very "irregular" on board service.
Both flights were on time, however.

Flanker2 wrote:I don't even want to try their longhaul flights. Given their shorthaul treatment, I can't imagine what kind of hell that must be.
I'm inclined to say that this is a problem today with many European (so-called full service) airlines as they cut down on service and quality on European flights to try and compete with LCCs. What their managements have not understood is that given the poor performance on European flights, pax who might one day have the opportunity to fly with them long haul, will be tempted to avoid them for the reason mentioned above by Flanker.

For instance, IMO, SN is "just average" to below average in Europe, but is excellent on long haul flights.